Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to build a really awesome hybrid

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-26-19, 06:24 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I'm a recovering roadie. Growing up in the suburbs, had multiple road bikes, single speeds, cyclocross bikes, etc., most of which I grew bored of quickly. I was constantly upgrading and optimizing; I changed bikes like I changed clothes.

Times have changed. I'm now a part-time grad student and delivery worker living in very tiny apartment in lower Manhattan. I don't have a lot of time to browse cycling sites. I only have physical space for one bike, and no time or money for tinkering and upgrading. But I admit it; I still love gear and a carefully tailored build. So I wanted to put together a bicycle that would be everything at once: fast, practical in every condition, and a trusty, long-term companion.

Enter the badass ****** hybrid.

This is my Cinelli Zydeco. I tried to draw upon insights from each of the worlds of cycling. I wanted a bicycle with the raw speed of a road bike, the responsiveness of a mountain bike, the simplicity of a single speed, the practicality of a commuter bike, the vibe of a BMX bike. I wanted to break all the "rules" of what a proper setup should be without creating a Frankenbike. I wanted to emerge with something coherent and beautiful.

I chose the Zydeco gravel frameset for its durability, wheelbase, and good looks. I chose Mavic Aksiums for their cheapness, toughness, and relative ease of repair. I run Michelin Pro 4 Endurance 700x28 tires; quick, comfy, brilliant grip in the corners, and surprisingly good flat resistance. Only had one flat in more than 18 months of riding New York's beer bottle-strewn streets, knock on wood.

The riser bars are the key to the setup. I run Cinelli Peppers which are pretty narrow (44 cm), perfect for lane splitting. Overall I run a relatively short reach and high stack which makes a tremendous difference for my endurance: I can lay down power and enjoy a full view of the road without craning my neck, while keeping my upper body relaxed. I use Oury grips which are comfortable as hell. The saddle is a trusty Selle Italia Max Flite that I've been riding since I was 15.

The star of the show is the Deore XT brakeset. Switching to these mountain disc brakes after years of running STI/Ergolever dual pivot calipers was a game changer. We're talking insanely precise modulation with as little as one finger curled around a short-reach lever, that works predictably in all kinds of weather conditions. Being able to stop faster means being able to go faster; having more control over braking means more control over handling.

I also jumped on the 1x trend, which is really one of the best things to happen to bike tech in the last decade. Goodbye cross-chaining, goodbye derailments. One 11 speed cassette gives me every ratio I need; the single XTR Rapidfire trigger is a joy to use. Short throws right at your fingertips, no need to rotate your hands — which makes a difference when you're manuvering through dicey traffic. I chose Shimano over SRAM for its ability to dump cogs both ways; the upshift lever can be pushed or pulled. I picked a SRAM Rival 1x crankset because Shimano doesn't offer one in the tooth count I want.

The most controversial part might be the fenders — but I don't have a rain bike; this is my rain bike. My fenders are Simworks Honjos. They're svelte, they don't rattle, they look great, and they keep my ass (and drivetrain) dry. And the final touch are the NS Radiance platform pedals in the "Oil slick" colorway. Clipless is a nonstarter for me; I need my bike to be something I can grab and go.

For security — since it's NYC — I use Abus Nutfix gravity locks on my front and rear axles, and the seatpost collar. I also lock up with not one, but two U-locks: the Abus Granit 540 and the Kryptonite Messenger. So far no problems.

Sure, the bike isn't aero or particularly light. But the result is exactly what I wanted: a bike that lets me ride monstrously fast in the streets, stays confident in the trickiest situations, and is fun as hell. So consider, my road bike-loving brethren, that our true liberation may not mean carbon and drop bars, but letting go of the dictates of our subculture, and following our true desires!

tl;dr: everyone should build a badass ****** hybrid.

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-26-19 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Do not change spelling of words to bypass forum censor
Likes For the beef:
Old 11-26-19, 06:30 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Not.
Old 11-26-19, 07:16 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts

I love it though, nice bike
Old 11-26-19, 07:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Definitely unique and they'll see you coming!
Old 11-26-19, 07:29 PM
Ninetimes

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Spectacular....the fenders really pull it together....I want one!
Old 11-26-19, 08:18 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I love the riser bars. Fantastic bike!
Old 11-26-19, 08:33 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Meh.

That's a nice commuter/frankenbike.
Old 11-26-19, 08:49 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Very New York-appropriate.

Whats the point of two, or even one bottle cages?
Old 11-26-19, 09:01 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
With that big cassette, I’m guessing you’re in school at CCNY or the Columbia medical area. How many teeth is the chainring?

I have a bike built with the same philosophy, but I think of it as a cross bike with fenders and fatter-than-legal tires.
Old 11-26-19, 09:01 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Disgusting! The title says it all.
Old 11-26-19, 09:47 PM
jkonst

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I’m also in NY and would love to have a bike like that. I Citi Bike around town, currently. I’m considering buying something similar to what you’ve done, or maybe going single speed from Brooklyn Bike Co or the like. Hardest part is fitting a second bike in a tiny apartment...
Old 11-27-19, 04:14 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
  • Super Nice
Old 11-27-19, 09:53 AM
500lbman

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL7 S-Works, BMC Roadmachine 01 Four, Specialized Diverge Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Alloy, SE Bikes Fast Ripper

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 6 Posts
I love it! Would love to build something like this one day.
Old 11-27-19, 10:14 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I hope it stays nice and doesn't get stolen. If I lived in NYC and only had one bike it would be an 80's race frame wrapped in electrical tape with a fixed gear, maybe one of those fenders that clips to the seatpost, at least until it got stolen.
Old 11-27-19, 10:17 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Awesome, that must be the nicest hybrid I have seen. I didnt think hybrids could be nice, but this has changed my opinion.
Old 11-27-19, 10:22 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Any well thought out bike is an awesome bike to me. Nicely done and beautiful to boot. Enjoy and ride safely!
Old 11-27-19, 11:25 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
If I knew you or met you on the street with that bike I would probably say something like "Nice Bike". Since I can be anonymous in public forums... not.
Old 11-27-19, 11:38 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I like it!
Old 11-29-19, 05:36 PM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
I like it. I met someone who had chosen a similar build also based on a zydeco, but overbuilt with xtr and hunt wheels. He was very happy with the setup...so much so I've been contemplating something similar...
Old 11-30-19, 05:22 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Awesome build! Looks great and that's the kind of "hybrid" I'm wanting to build. I hope mine turns out as good-looking as yours. I must say those colors really pop. Sorry to read about this beautiful bike having to be subject to the hellhole of NYC. Yes, I've been there. Absolute nightmare!
Old 11-30-19, 06:09 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
For living in NYC, you have my sympathies. For building a hybrid, I cannot condemn you, as I have modified my "adventure" bike to something that I only just realized, resembles a hybrid bike. Although I didn't realize it at the time, one thing led to another and now.... I remember someone said that hybrids pretend to be both a road bike and a mountain bike, but do neither well. It looks like you've built a bonafide city bike, and I find no fault in that. Hope you can keep it.
Likes For DeadGrandpa: