Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would love a FireFly, any alternative Options?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-20, 01:06 PM
Sawas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been researching a manufacturer for my first titanium bike frame.
Firefly checks off al the boxes for me in that they have the amazing construction quality, beautiful dropouts, anodized finish and tapered head tubes that I love. I'm looking for something that's relatively light that can accept a max wheel width of about 38mm- 40mm.
The issue is that the wait time is over a year with Firefly. Are there any alternatives that would work for me?

Thank you for your time.
Old 04-29-20, 02:47 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawas
I've been researching a manufacturer for my first titanium bike frame.
Firefly checks off al the boxes for me in that they have the amazing construction quality, beautiful dropouts, anodized finish and tapered head tubes that I love. I'm looking for something that's relatively light that can accept a max wheel width of about 38mm- 40mm.
The issue is that the wait time is over a year with Firefly. Are there any alternatives that would work for me?

Thank you for your time.
Lynskeys are pretty nice - beautifully made and reasonably priced
Old 04-29-20, 05:17 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
There are quite a few custom TI frame makers, Seven, I think 44, Mosaic Kent Erikson a few that come to mind for a custom Ti frame. most of the good builders have a long lead time. Check pictures from the various NAHBS shows. Sign up on the Velocipede forum there are a lot of custom frame makers there with threads with pictures.
Likes For wsteve464:
Old 04-29-20, 07:25 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
If you are anything like me, a replacement may not fill your desire and you may still want the Firefly. If it is 100% what you want, I'd consider waiting the year.
Likes For katsup:
Old 04-30-20, 02:42 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
You could look at PlanetX - they do a few Ti frames. I don't know how they compare on quality though they look pretty good from the pictures. I've been very pleased with my Carbon Pro Evo bike. The only note of caution I'd mention is that if you go for one of their SRAM builds they chuck on a very cheap chain and cassette. This doesn't seem to be an issue with the Shimano builds - no idea why. The SRAM chain they put on mine (1110 I think) lasted 2,000 miles - I've never had a chain last such a short time. I've replaced it with the correct 1170 chain and cassette; so far it's done over 3,000 miles and shows no sign of wear as yet.
Old 04-30-20, 06:56 AM
RJD253

Bikes: Lynskey Sportive, Cannondale F1000

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on Lynskey. Can usually catch a sale @ 20% to 30% off.
Old 04-30-20, 08:26 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
not to sidetrack your question, but have you considered high quality steel? like Columbus XCr steel?
I know 2 people with Firefly frames and they are a little flexy under hard accleration.
Old 04-30-20, 04:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Firefly is my dream as well go for your dream!!!!

Seven, Independent Fabrications, Kent Erikson, Bingham Built, Ti Cycles, No.22, Alchemy, Merlin...are some really great options as well and there are probably a whole ton of others who can do some custom stuff. Moots might do some custom stuff if you ask but their normal stuff is pretty neat and something I have wanted for a while.

Lynskey is fine, not terrible but they have a bargin bin quality about them.
Old 04-30-20, 06:48 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Seven does a great job. Firefly anodizing is really something and is worth the wait. For a great ti frame at a lower cost, Habcycles.com has what you need. I have had two of them already and both exceed my expectations.
Old 04-30-20, 10:44 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Firefly is my dream as well go for your dream!!!!

Seven, Independent Fabrications, Kent Erikson, Bingham Built, Ti Cycles, No.22, Alchemy, Merlin...are some really great options as well and there are probably a whole ton of others who can do some custom stuff. Moots might do some custom stuff if you ask but their normal stuff is pretty neat and something I have wanted for a while.

Lynskey is fine, not terrible but they have a bargin bin quality about them.
Dean is another builder to consider. They are a small builder out of Boulder, CO. I have a El Diente SL road bike

_IMG4976 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

and a Dean Colonel mountain bike.

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

They are both excellent bikes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-01-20, 08:09 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
The new Ribble CGR Ti looks pretty nice for the $:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-ti/
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-02-20, 11:12 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Dean is another builder to consider. They are a small builder out of Boulder, CO. I have a El Diente SL road bike

_IMG4976 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

and a Dean Colonel mountain bike.

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

They are both excellent bikes.
I have heard decent things about the bikes but apparently DEAN at least in the past has been terrible at responding to folks and getting orders out and things like that. Hopefully things have changed.
Old 05-02-20, 02:26 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6212 Post(s)
Liked 4,210 Times in 2,360 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I have heard decent things about the bikes but apparently DEAN at least in the past has been terrible at responding to folks and getting orders out and things like that. Hopefully things have changed.
I had braze-ons put on the mountain bike a few years ago. It was quick and problem free. 3 to 4 weeks if I recall which I consider good service for a small shop.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-02-20, 08:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I had braze-ons put on the mountain bike a few years ago. It was quick and problem free. 3 to 4 weeks if I recall which I consider good service for a small shop.
Awesome...that is excellent news! Hope things are improved as I love Ti and love more Ti options. Keep the material going and going.