Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone else hate riding, but have to for medical reasons?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-22-20, 08:52 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts

I've been riding all my life, worked in shops, flipped bikes for decades and it's all I can do to get on a ride one most days. I had a bad crash several years ago, coupled with some life-choices afterwords has left me with a bad hip (2 tears in left labrum). It completely kept me off the bike (and walking with a cane) for a couple years, but I got very lucky with some skilled PTs and had alot of chiropractic visits. Now I'm fairly mobile and not in as much pain.

I *have* to go out for a short (10-15m) ride 3 times a week or my hip starts acting up. The less I ride, the more my hip socket starts burning and the muscles around it become more and more reluctant to move. Within 3 days of not riding, I tend to start limping more. Shorter <5m rides don't seem to be enough compared to 1hr or so rides. I still like working on and occasionally buying/selling bikes, but I really have to convince myself to go out and actually ride.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 08-22-20, 10:22 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,013 Posts
I hate riding right now because of the heat.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 08-22-20, 11:35 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
I dread the day I can't ride - it's such a part of my identity. But some day that day will arrive... whether it's balance or reaction time or vision or whatever.
The new indoor trainers are so good though that I think I can adapt... and I have lots of ride videos to watch and remember.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 08-22-20, 11:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I'm just the opposite. I hate having medical conditions so I ride.

Seems to keep me off BP meds and Cholesterol and Triglycerides meds. My friends that don't cycle have a lot of pills they have to take. I don't have any.

Apologize if you truly only expected those that actually hate riding to answer.
Old 08-22-20, 11:45 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I’m sorry to hear of your hip pain. Ugh. I too dread the day I can’t ride or have to ride an e-bike thingie.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 08-22-20, 03:51 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I’ve never been able to stick with one thing my whole life. I’ve actually done more cycling than anything else. But there were times when I would go years and not get on a bike. I surfed with our boys for a number of years, then mtb, then road, then back on the board; with tennis, golf and other stuff along the way. And now back on the bikes.

From that perspective, my question is, is there any other activity/exercise you can do that will give the same results? Take a break from riding for a while while still maintaining your hip.

If it is only cycling, can you change it up? Can you load up your bike and ride your 10-15km somewhere else? Maybe ride dirt trails. When I was younger I used to just roll down the driveway and end up somewhere and then back home. I ride fewer miles now, but will drive to a location or trailhead and mix things up. Being retired it’s not like anything is pressing or I’m limited to the time I have during the day.

John
Old 08-22-20, 05:18 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I am sorry about the pain you have. I have noticed since passing 65 that I am rarely “pain free” . Mine is very minor and usually responds well to stretching and exercise. I ride a lot and love it as it helps me de stress . However, I am lucky not to have pain or discomfort while riding. In a couple of months I will be able to ride even more as I trim my work load a bit. Being self employed is nice in that I can take a mid day ride now and then during the week. I take a longer ride almost every Sunday. I walk about 2 miles at a quick pace every weekday morning around my shop area.
Old 08-22-20, 05:36 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
I, too, have leg and hip issues that absolutely require daily stretching, daily physical load-bearing exercises, and daily cardio. Else, as with the OP, my legs/hips begin acting up, tightening up, developing pain. The more I exercise, the longer my cardio stints (varying activities every 15-30mins or so), the better things are. And the better the "numbers" are at doctor visits (BP, cholesterol, and all the other old phart indicators).

Like riding the bike, though. Would much prefer running, overall, but would still ride too.

This gettin' old thang? Grandma should have been more specific. That's all I have to say about that.
Old 08-22-20, 06:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Get a trainer, watch TV or Zwift. No worries about the weather or further injuries. We'll all give it up someday. Riding for only an hour and not enjoying it, sounds as if your someday has arrived. You can still post on BF, though, plenty of precedent.
Old 08-22-20, 07:00 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I'm riding and enjoying it. If that weren't the case, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't stick with it. Used to be a runner, and enjoyed that too, until knee problems made me quit. Knowing myself, I'm fairly certain I couldn't ride a stationary bike, do a treadmill, or elliptical. I'd get bored with it after a few months and quit. Getting outside on the bike... I enjoy it and look forward to getting out.
Old 08-23-20, 12:20 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yup, nothing works better for my chronic pain and stiffness than bike riding. At a minimum I'll use the trainer if the weather is bad, or if my balance is poor enough that it's not safe to ride (occasionally happens with sinus congestion).

I'll walk other days but it's not the same.

Unfortunately the buzz from brain chemicals that helps relieve pain fades after a few hours and I'm aching again. But on good days that motivates me to get out and ride.
Old 08-23-20, 04:27 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Hate riding????

I can't even imagine.

I miss it so much.
Old 08-23-20, 03:43 PM
dianesam

Bikes: Cinelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am just starting to ride, to help with Parkinson’s.
Old 08-23-20, 03:47 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I ride to prevent having medical reasons...
Old 08-23-20, 04:47 PM
avmech

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The opposite here: love to ride but can’t due to recovery from hiatal hernia/diaphragm repair/toupet fundoplication surgery 2 months ago. Still on the mend from pain, add the heat, not a good combo. Hopefully only a few weeks more for recovery. Can’t even do light work out in the yard without pain.
Old 08-24-20, 11:27 AM
rob214

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I'm a life long athlete and I never really got into cycling, I was in the gym or running for my training. well between 50 - 53 I went back to school for welding and with working a physical job and school plus family life I stopped everything except work related. at 53 I had a mild stroke took 6 months to recover. my brother who's been a cyclist for a few years gave me a bike and said get back to taking care of yourself. so I started riding and after a while and meeting new people and having life settled down for me I actually started to love riding and now I road and mtb cycle most days and I'm bummed when I can't ride. some days when the headwind hits and the legs are burning I ask myself why but I still enjoy the ride. so now I feel like I ride for both y mental health and my physical health. whenever I get grumpy my wife tells me to go for a ride.
Likes For rob214:
Old 08-24-20, 12:38 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
I'm surprised there aren't more people around here who hate riding. Not.
Old 08-26-20, 03:14 PM
seaweedsam

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wonder if swimming but help or walking exercise in the water?
Old 08-27-20, 10:50 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I had to cycle when I was young. In decent weather I had to ride about 2 miles to school. Then for a few years I didnt ride. But in about 1975 when my two oldest sons got old enough to ride, I started riding again with them. That was 45 years ago, and I have loved to ride ever since. I am now nearly 82 and ride about 25 miles every other day. I cant imagine not liking to ride.
Old 08-27-20, 10:52 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
I'm surprised there aren't more people around here who hate riding. Not.
I was kind of thinking like that. If my doctor told me I had to start running, would I go to a running enthusiast forum and ask how to make it suck less?
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 08-28-20, 08:05 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I am on the other side of this. I have been told to NOT ride a bike but I do because I love it. Hope you find something to like about it or something else that gives you what you require.
For me, I will ride as long as I can still get up the hill I need to climb to get out of my neighborhood.
Be safe, Frank.
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 08-28-20, 11:48 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I dont think I ever hated biking. When I was young I "had" to ride my bike to school. I lived on a farm and had to gravel ride, which to me makes it kind strange that it is all the rage now. I didnt bike for several years while I was in the Navy and was first starting out on my 1 life time job.

But then when my sons got old enough to ride, I started to ride with them, and it translated into joining the local bike club. Most that have read any of my posts know I am with the group of cyclist that think cycling should first be fun. And that is how I have kept it. Most of my riding is alone, so I am in total charge of where I want to go. So I am not forced to ride where I really dont care to, and at a speed I dont like. So for me biking is always fun.
Old 08-29-20, 10:57 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I have to either ride or go for long hard walks almost every day or I get medical conditions. Fortunately I love to do both things. I am a results oriented person. If one wants a good result, one has to do the right thing. Seems simple enough.
Old 08-29-20, 05:04 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I've been riding all my life, worked in shops, flipped bikes for decades and it's all I can do to get on a ride one most days. I had a bad crash several years ago, coupled with some life-choices afterwords has left me with a bad hip (2 tears in left labrum). It completely kept me off the bike (and walking with a cane) for a couple years, but I got very lucky with some skilled PTs and had alot of chiropractic visits. Now I'm fairly mobile and not in as much pain.

I *have* to go out for a short (10-15m) ride 3 times a week or my hip starts acting up. The less I ride, the more my hip socket starts burning and the muscles around it become more and more reluctant to move. Within 3 days of not riding, I tend to start limping more. Shorter <5m rides don't seem to be enough compared to 1hr or so rides. I still like working on and occasionally buying/selling bikes, but I really have to convince myself to go out and actually ride.
I feel badly for you. Maybe you could get one of those indoor trainers or those devices where you can sit and watch TV or your computer while pedaling it.
https://www.amazon.com/DeskCycle-Exe.../dp/B00B1VDNQA
My manager uses one at work. We all live with pain, whether its in our body or our mind.
Cheers and good luck. Wish you and I were both 30 again.
Old 08-30-20, 07:00 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Will agree with most of the other posts here that I ride to avoid medical conditions that come with getting older but I also happen to love riding. That being said, I do get a bit complacent with riding the same routes over and over again and that makes it a bit harder to get motivated. I also ride alone so don't get inspiration from others which might help motivation.
I did buy a smart trainer a few years ago and signed on with Zwift and enjoy doing that during the winter months. It gets a bit monotonous by spring time but it's better than nothing and a great way to stay in riding shape during the off season. In addition to being very safe.
Likes For gthomson:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.