Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Turning 60 in 2 months - do I go all in?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Turning 60 in 2 months - do I go all in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 03:46 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Steeler_fanatic
So I just got back into cycling in 2018 after barely riding a bike over the prior 45+ years. I bought a nice aluminum disc brake Trek Domane as I wasn't sure how much I would ride. Two years, 60 lbs loss, and 26,000 km later I'm approaching my 60th birthday. I have no illusions about setting any KOM's but I do like to see how far up the leader boards I can get. If I'm in the top 1/3 or better on the local segments, I feel satisfied. Lately I've been hearing the siren song of a new bike (looking at the 2021 Emonda's). I feel like this may be a mid-life crisis moment but am throwing it out there - should I take a leap and go light, electronic and aero and use the Domane for indoor trainer and gravel duty or just look to upgrade the Domane?

If you're going to turn 60, your whole body will be 60 years old at the same time. You have no choice but to go all in.
Old 09-01-20, 07:21 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
Turning 60 in 4 months and looking for another bike for the stable. I'm pretty well set on a Cannondale Synapse carbon, may even go for Ultegra. The past year I've really starting to enjoy 50+ mile rides and am more interested in comfort than speed.
Old 09-01-20, 07:27 PM
pattrick

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Silly place to ask that question.

There are nothing but enablers here. Turning 60 soon and just picked up a new Domane, and seriously thinking of a Lynskey 300. I am not going to get any younger so my thoughts are to enjoy the time I have. I may be vain but I think I am in great shape for my age, a lot of that I attribute to my riding. When I consider my perceived benefits it just makes it a worthwhile investment in my health and pleasure. If finances are not the issue then what is........ you know you want it. Take one for a test ride, if it makes you smile buy it. Wish you the best of luck in your decision.
Old 09-01-20, 11:22 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
I've already chimed in on this one, but let me add another bit. If you're healthy and feeling spry at 60, you have a good bet that you'll get some good use out of a high-end bike. But this is about the time when the clock starts ticking towards those aches and pains that make long rides or fast rides or adventurous rides more difficult. So go for it now, while you have the health to enjoy it.

Yes, there are those here who are quite a bit older and still riding hard, and at 59 1/2, I hope I have a decade or more of fast centuries ahead of me. But just like we don't know how many years we have left to live, we also don't know when some turn in our health is going to change our relationship to cycling.

So that may not sound very upbeat, but to quote a song from my youth "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think."
Old 09-02-20, 10:58 AM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
I'm 63 yrs and just got a new steel frame bike. At our age, if you can afford it, why not? Enjoy life while you still can...
Old 09-02-20, 03:37 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I upgraded from a 2019 Domane SL 6 to a 2020 Domane SLR 7 Project One in under a year. Zero regrets in doing the upgrade. Got the bike I wanted and really love. The way I look at it is I can afford it and I'm not getting any younger so I might as well enjoy it while I can.
Old 09-02-20, 04:19 PM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
For my 60th birthday I went from a 2008 Specialized Sequoia to a Giant Defy Advanced 2. For my 61st birthday I rode my first imperial century. No regrets.....
Do it!
Old 09-03-20, 11:51 AM
Cali Scott

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes do it! I have a friend who is 73 years old, he purchased a sweet Cannondale Scalpel a few years ago and owns a gravel bike as well. He rides that mtb about 120 miles per week and does mucho elevation as well. I am nervous to ride with him, he might be dropping me on climbs (I am 54)! Enjoy the new bike and keep us posted😉
Old 09-03-20, 03:37 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Be like everyone else and get an off the shelf bike made to fit the masses. Not for me. Go with a custom frame and quality components and you will have a bike made for you to fit you properly and not adapted to fit your body like off the shelf stuff. Add to that no one else will have the same bike, and you don't have to belong to their club to be in the know or be cool or whatever.
I went custom in 2001 and finally found comfort. The bike is made to fit me, not compromising anything. Add to that the geometry is mine, and unlike any other bike out there. Small little details such as the seat stay cluster is custom, the drop outs get compliments all the time by people who don't know it is custom. Tubing is a mix of vintage tubes and new tubes. The bike is perfect for the type of riding I do, which of course it was designed for. No compromises were made.
Just sayin' that spending 5 grand on a generic carbon aero wonder machine is kind of silly. How fast does one really ride to reap the benefits of aero? 20mph ain't gonna do it, my friends. Go custom and get something that is uniquely yours. Working with most all the custom builders is pleasant, very detailed, and rewarding. Just do it, you won't regret it.
Old 09-03-20, 04:32 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I'm a big fan of guilt as riding motivation, and a desire to "get my money's worth". Spend as much as you can afford, then increase your mileage in an effort to justify spending the money. It's a convoluted rationale, but it works for me.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 09-04-20, 06:01 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I’d never buy a Trek or a Specialized due to their anti-police stance and pro-criminal positions, but that’s up to you.

Nothing political about it, just facts that they’ve published.
Sure, nothing at all political about that statement. 🤦🏽
Old 09-04-20, 09:05 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Go with a custom frame and quality components and you will have a bike made for you to fit you properly and not adapted to fit your body like off the shelf stuff. Add to that no one else will have the same bike, and you don't have to belong to their club to be in the know or be cool or whatever.
I went custom in 2001 and finally found comfort.
This is a really good point. One reason the OP might understandably be reluctant to drop large on a nice bike is that he's of an age where he might not be comfortable on it after a few years and it might get hung up in the garage. If he were to go custom, spend some of that 60-year trophy money on a professional fitting with someone who understands how to accommodate the reduced flexibility and such that comes with achieving this milestone, he'll be able to order a custom bike with more confidence that he'll get an acceptable lifetime of use out of it. On top of that, he gets something that's uniquely and identifiably HIS, with a unique paint job and his name on a decal... that's going all in with your eyes open.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 09-04-20, 09:57 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Be like everyone else and get an off the shelf bike made to fit the masses. Not for me. Go with a custom frame and quality components and you will have a bike made for you to fit you properly and not adapted to fit your body like off the shelf stuff. Add to that no one else will have the same bike, and you don't have to belong to their club to be in the know or be cool or whatever.
I went custom in 2001 and finally found comfort. The bike is made to fit me, not compromising anything. Add to that the geometry is mine, and unlike any other bike out there. Small little details such as the seat stay cluster is custom, the drop outs get compliments all the time by people who don't know it is custom. Tubing is a mix of vintage tubes and new tubes. The bike is perfect for the type of riding I do, which of course it was designed for. No compromises were made.
Just sayin' that spending 5 grand on a generic carbon aero wonder machine is kind of silly. How fast does one really ride to reap the benefits of aero? 20mph ain't gonna do it, my friends. Go custom and get something that is uniquely yours. Working with most all the custom builders is pleasant, very detailed, and rewarding. Just do it, you won't regret it.
I did this when I turned 50. My only regret was putting it off that long.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 09-05-20, 05:47 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
wgscott, I went custom around age 40. So very glad I did as the thing keeps on going and going and going. Hit it with the car in the garage and replaced the rear triangle which then allowed me to make a change to the brake bridge location and add a fender mount at the chain stays. Have about 40K miles on it, maybe a few thousand more.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 09-07-20, 06:59 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Get the red one.
Old 09-07-20, 09:52 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Go ahead and do it! Get a new Trophy wife Trek. I know you know this, but the geometry of the Emonda will be more aggressive than the Domane.

Enjoy!

Glenn
Old 09-07-20, 09:54 AM
GAtkins

Originally Posted by August West
I upgraded from a 2019 Domane SL 6 to a 2020 Domane SLR 7 Project One in under a year. Zero regrets in doing the upgrade. Got the bike I wanted and really love. The way I look at it is I can afford it and I'm not getting any younger so I might as well enjoy it while I can.
Not to get too far o/t, but do you have a pic of the SLR 7 Project One?

Thanks.

Glenn
Old 09-11-20, 02:44 PM
355Mono

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Guitars? Sure. Cars? Oh yeah. Bikes? Can I get a HECK YEAH! (I'm from the city).
Old 09-11-20, 07:40 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
I’m 62, and this just came earlier in the week.....Trek Domane SLR7, 58cm, disc, Di2, Aeolus wheelset, 32mm tubeless tires. My second Domane and definitely an improved version of my original 2012 6.2 P1 which has over 20,000 hard miles on it.....

So I say go for it in a big way.......

Last edited by wthensler; 09-11-20 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-11-20, 07:44 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by GAtkins
Not to get too far o/t, but do you have a pic of the SLR 7 Project One?

Thanks.

Glenn
See above pic, which is a 2021 SLR 7 P1.......I ‘saved’ $500 by agreeing to put the Segafredo insignia on the bike

Last edited by wthensler; 09-11-20 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-11-20, 08:07 PM
GAtkins

Originally Posted by wthensler
See above pic, which is a 2021 SLR 7 P1.......I ‘saved’ $500 by agreeing to put the Segafredo insignia on the bike
Awesome! Thank you.

Glenn
Old 09-16-20, 12:22 PM
jimjim58

Bikes: '18 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Well, it is a little like a middle-aged man buying a sports car, though as you say, it's healthy.

When I solved my mid-life crisis by turning to cycling, I explained to people, including my wife, that this was a much more constructive and less expensive solution than buying a sports car or chasing after age-inappropriate women.

Now, more than 10 years later, I've spent as much on bikes as the cost of a pretty nice sports car.
I bought both, the bike was much less expensive but they're both fun and you can't beat the fitness gained while riding your bike.

Likes For jimjim58:
Old 09-16-20, 03:00 PM
woofy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
It's not a birthday if your gift to yourself is a mere upgrade. That's like getting yourself new tires for your car as opposed to a new car. Bah!

Here's my thinking. I have several bikes. Most of them were ridden in the pro peloton at some point in some form. (All purchased second-hand for donuts on the dollar).

Why do I do this? I cannot possibly ever exceed the capabilities of these bikes.

That in fact is the answer to the question. If the bikes exceed my capabilities, any good day comes down to me. And so do the bad days. It's not the bike. And there is no limitation either. Theoretically I can improve incrementally forever as I will never max the bike.

Oddly, I find that I am faster on certain bikes. Bit that is a subject for a different day.

You obviously challenge yourself. I see that in you knowing where you stand in the segments you ride.

Yes, buy the bike. Take yourself to the next level. Buy a bike that disappears under you - leaving it all up to you.

Oh, and this is not mid-life crisis. This is about you challenging yourself and getting better AND older. That is not a crisis. That is a life choice. The difference lies in the work done. One relies on work done in the past. The other looks forward to future work. BIG difference.

Happy birthday!

Signed,

60 in May and 1st in my age group on several of my segments.

woof!
Old 09-17-20, 09:29 AM
Natomashomeboy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts
Do it, don’t be the coulda,woulda, almost guy.
Old 09-17-20, 10:12 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Once, when my daughter was very young (4?), she was going through the kitchen 'junk drawer' at her grandmother's house. She found a piece of wrapped hard candy and pulled it out. "What's this?" she asked her grandmother, knowing full well exactly what she'd found. "Oh," said my mom, "that' a piece of candy I was saving. You can have that." My daughter looked at her incredulously for a moment, then said "What are you saving it for?" There was no good answer to that one.

Hesitating on a new bike when turning the big six-o? What are you saving it for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.