Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

No jam nuts on old wheel

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

No jam nuts on old wheel

Old 09-16-20, 04:02 PM
murmy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No jam nuts on old wheel

I have acquired an old single speed Katakura Porta Silk folding bicycle. It's from the 60's I believe.
Anyway, I'm in the process of cleaning it up and getting it into running order and as I've been taking it apart, I noticed that the front wheel hub does not have jam nuts to lock the axle cones down.
At first, I was thinking these nuts were somehow lost over the years, but now I'm wondering if that used to be a thing?
Could it be that on some older wheels you lock the cones down by just using the outer lock nuts - the same nuts that are used to hold the wheel to the fork?
It seems like if that's true, then every time you take the front wheel off, you would have to fine tune the cone adjustment.
I've never seen that before, but then I have limited experience in these things.

Thanks for any insight that can be provided.
Old 09-16-20, 04:19 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by murmy
I have acquired an old single speed Katakura Porta Silk folding bicycle. It's from the 60's I believe.
Anyway, I'm in the process of cleaning it up and getting it into running order and as I've been taking it apart, I noticed that the front wheel hub does not have jam nuts to lock the axle cones down.
At first, I was thinking these nuts were somehow lost over the years, but now I'm wondering if that used to be a thing?
Could it be that on some older wheels you lock the cones down by just using the outer lock nuts - the same nuts that are used to hold the wheel to the fork?
It seems like if that's true, then every time you take the front wheel off, you would have to fine tune the cone adjustment.
I've never seen that before, but then I have limited experience in these things.

Thanks for any insight that can be provided.
It was totally a thing. Schwinn front hubs from the 60's used the same scheme. Let me look up the thread.
Old 09-16-20, 04:26 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-locknut.html

The rest of us call them locknuts. I learned that Raleigh manufactured front hubs used a shoulder on the axle to lock the drive side cone in place, again without locknuts. The drive-side cone will tighten with normal hub rotation if it's allowed to rotate. If the cones and cups aren't wrecked already, set them up as suggested in the thread (leave a little play) and really tighten the axle nuts after getting them finger tight without causing the axle to spin while doing so.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 09-17-20, 06:48 AM
murmy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, thanks for the information.

I'll keep that in mind when I go to put the wheel back together.