Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Felt Footprint

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 08:55 PM
Deademeat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hothead286
Agreed. Hang out here more.
Fair enough. On a completely unrelated note I had a fantastic ride tonight. I just re-geared to 46-16 (from 42), and I ran into one of the riders from a local club that smoked me a couple of weeks ago. We were pushing 24.5 for a few miles, and I think I actually made him sweat for a bit. If he hadn't turned off my route I think I would have died within 5 minutes, but I did knock a minute and a half off my fastest time, so today was a good day. Tomorrow its going to raid in from 4am for 26 hours. Not so great, since I may have to drive to work. Meh.

Dave
Old 08-02-11, 09:14 PM
max5480
Rhythm is rhythm

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I'm not against putting an S300 on a sub $1K bike, but it has no business being used on a $1600 bike like that Felt, which deserves something higher quality such as an Omnonom. It would be the same problem if they put an Andel on it, which I like on my cheaper FG bikes like the Leader 721tr, but wouldn't dream of using on the Pista Concept. Consider that the Felt TK2, which also has an MSRP of $1600 does in fact come with Omnonoms.
Who cares about the difference between omnium and s300? They have the exact same bottom bracket, the weight difference is around 50 grams, and their difference in stiffness is negligible (https://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/crank.shtml). The only thing you're paying $100 extra dollars for is the 144 bcd and some bling.
Old 08-02-11, 10:02 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by max5480
Who cares about the difference between omnium and s300? They have the exact same bottom bracket, the weight difference is around 50 grams, and their difference in stiffness is negligible (https://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/crank.shtml). The only thing you're paying $100 extra dollars for is the 144 bcd and some bling.
The point is that Felt is charging more for this bike so they should equip it with higher line equipment, regardless of whether there is a significant functional difference. It's like saying that it's ok to charge $150 for a set of Formula hubs, because they are functionally just as good as a set of Phils, and the only real difference is "bling". If the Felt were priced under $1K, then it would be fine to put medium line components on it, but at their asking price they are pocketing a bigger profit and that bike is a ripoff. Think about it, the Moto Team Track costs half as much, and is equipped with Dura Ace cranks. IMHO, of course.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-03-11, 09:59 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Wonderful! I was thinking the same. If you are in good shape, that will certainly help your top speed. I like 42x16 for commuting. Good acceleration and braking, and good practice spinning. I can hold 20mph all day long with it. It ain't a top speed gear though. 24mph is a lot of rpm to hold for that gear.

Originally Posted by Deademeat
Fair enough. On a completely unrelated note I had a fantastic ride tonight. I just re-geared to 46-16 (from 42), and I ran into one of the riders from a local club that smoked me a couple of weeks ago. We were pushing 24.5 for a few miles, and I think I actually made him sweat for a bit. If he hadn't turned off my route I think I would have died within 5 minutes, but I did knock a minute and a half off my fastest time, so today was a good day. Tomorrow its going to raid in from 4am for 26 hours. Not so great, since I may have to drive to work. Meh.

Dave

Last edited by chas58; 08-03-11 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-03-11, 10:03 AM
chas58

Good idea, thanks for the entertainment. :-)

Unless I can find one to actually tryout somewhere local this whole thread is pretty much entirely moot since I shall just continue to ride my Langster until it falls apart, so I hope everyone is at least entertained.

Dave
Old 08-03-11, 06:27 PM
Deademeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Wonderful! I was thinking the same. If you are in good shape, that will certainly help your top speed. I like 42x16 for commuting. Good acceleration and braking, and good practice spinning. I can hold 20mph all day long with it. It ain't a top speed gear though. 24mph is a lot of rpm to hold for that gear.
I've been hanging out with an ironman training idiot - at 42-16 I couldn't spin fast enough on the flats, let alone on a downhill - 46-16 is a pretty huge difference in my opinion. I'm glad I didn't go up to 48 though - I think that what I have is about as much as I would want to try and spin on real roads, and I can actually keep up now. I dont know if I am "good" shape right now, but its a lot better than it has been for a long time now.

Dave
Old 08-04-11, 06:59 AM
chas58

My ironman idiot wanted to do a steady 18mph, and went slow uphill to keep his heart rate down so that wasn't a problem. FG downhill can be a problem with a fast geared bike, but SS isn't a problem as I just draft tight. Cogs are not too expensive - it might have been cheaper to do a 42x15 than a 46x16, practically the same gear.

Enjoy the Langster!
Old 08-04-11, 11:07 PM
Deademeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ironman idiot wanted to do a steady 18mph, and went slow uphill to keep his heart rate down so that wasn't a problem. FG downhill can be a problem with a fast geared bike, but SS isn't a problem as I just draft tight. Cogs are not too expensive - it might have been cheaper to do a 42x15 than a 46x16, practically the same gear.

Enjoy the Langster!
I really don't think my idiot is that bright. Quite fast though. I suppose both of those attributes probably go with the territory. I couldn't find a 15T freewheel that would fit - one probably exists somewhere, but it was easier (though not cheaper) to just suck it up and get the chainring.

Dave
Old 08-05-11, 01:12 AM
rustybrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the intended application and at that price point, it may be suitable to go for a TI road frame and eno hub.

It seems that you're already dead-emeat-set on a SS carbon complete, but might as well go for dual purpose. Not completely sure what you're training for, but if it's crits, boom, you have a back up---your trainer---set up of course.

TI will treat you well, if not better than carbon and will certainly outlast it. There's just nothing really tempting to the Felt Footprint from this perspective. Could just as easily go custom steel frame, or second-hand TI complete.

And I'm just postulating that you have a fully stocked parts bin.
Old 08-05-11, 06:34 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
CF is *****ific for this guy. CF fetish.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-05-11, 07:13 AM
chas58

He doesn't sound too bright. 24mph in an Iron Man? He is going to blow up and never finish the marathon. He definately needs to pace himself.

Nope, there are no 15 tooth freewheels available. There actually have been rumors of one, but no one has actualy seen it (rather like bigfoot IMHO). There really isn't enough room for the free wheel assembly inside of 15 teeth.

I try to ride at 100rpm and sprint around 130 (and top out around 180 downhill)
42x16 @ 100rpm = 21.1mph
46x16 @ 100rpm = 23.0mph
so you have in effect added an easy 2mph to your cruising speed, and 3mph to your top speed with that gearing (assuming you have the strength to turn the cranks at that speed). That is why 24mph is a lot more attainable for you.

:-)

I really don't think my idiot is that bright. Quite fast though. I suppose both of those attributes probably go with the territory. I couldn't find a 15T freewheel that would fit - one probably exists somewhere, but it was easier (though not cheaper) to just suck it up and get the chainring.

Dave
Old 08-05-11, 09:43 AM
Deademeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustybrown
For the intended application and at that price point, it may be suitable to go for a TI road frame and eno hub.
Or a carbon road frame. This was already pointed out earlier - not dissing the idea, but I did just have a nice pair of wheels made, so I was being pretty specific I guess. Doesn't white also make an eno BB though?

It seems that you're already dead-emeat-set on a SS carbon complete, but might as well go for dual purpose. Not completely sure what you're training for, but if it's crits, boom, you have a back up---your trainer---set up of course.
About 18 months ago my father was having chest pains, so he went to the doctor and got almost 15 seconds through a stress test. The next day he was having heart surgery. I took a hard look at my genetics, my entirely sedentary lifestyle and (growing) 210lb ass and decided to buy a bike. I decided to buy a single speed because it appealed to the weird in me, and because there was no cheating, which I did rather think was the point when training. Right now, I'm training to go faster than I did yesterday, and occasionally to go faster than various idiots on overpriced bikes they ride once a week (the irony of making that statement while starting this thread has not escaped me). I guess I'm training to outrun death, and/or the need to give up nice beer and pies. I haven't given up nice beer or pies, and I now weigh under 185, so I must be doing something right. I'll stop riding a single speed when I stop being able to turn the cranks, or get hit by a car - riding a geared bike just doesn't appeal any more.

TI will treat you well, if not better than carbon and will certainly outlast it. There's just nothing really tempting to the Felt Footprint from this perspective. Could just as easily go custom steel frame, or second-hand TI complete.
After this week's stock market, there is a strong possibility that cat food and no new bike are on the menu. This thread is now running on fumes and sarcasm, and the idea that one day the stocks that I didn't sell in the last month might be worth something again. If they go up loads, I'm totally buying that $4k Trek though. That's probably not going to happen.

And I'm just postulating that you have a fully stocked parts bin.
Are you coming on to me?

Dave
Old 08-05-11, 11:01 AM
andrizzle
Enson

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dave rules
Old 08-05-11, 05:35 PM
Deademeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
CF is *****ific for this guy. CF fetish.
What a man chooses to do in the privacy of his own home with a can of lube, a carbon fiber frame and a beernutz tool is his own damn business. Neither you, my neighbors, the police or the bucket of soapy frogs gets to judge me.
Old 08-05-11, 05:41 PM
Deademeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He doesn't sound too bright. 24mph in an Iron Man? He is going to blow up and never finish the marathon. He definately needs to pace himself.
And turn into a man apparently - this is actually a woman. Can't argue with the rest though, but it's her race - I just ride around with her occasionally and try to keep up.
Old 08-17-11, 12:39 AM
SuperDaveFelt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
The FOOTPRINT is 120mm O.L.D. The rear dropouts can be split at the seat stays so you could run a belt if you preferred. The bike use a full carbon frame as well as a monocoque carbon fork. We sell a simiilar road frame for $1500. Thats for the frame only. The S300 crankset is used because of restrictions on "sharp" chainrings. The bike is sold as CPSC compliant, track bikes are not. The S300 is avaialble with the guard the Omnium is not, neither are any other SRAM cranks except the less expensive S100/150 or Truvative options. The S300 is also used in a BB30 version on our $3500 'cross bike.

Certainly there are other options for single speed bicycles and arguments can be made for the "best value for your $1600" ad nauseam.

I have a Footprint frame built up with some older Zipp cranks, Ritchey cockpit, and a light saddle. It is just under 15 pounds and retains the stock wheels. I leave the bottle opener at home also.

It is a unique bike to be sure.

-SD
Old 08-17-11, 09:18 AM
chas58

Certainly looks like an interesting bike, and a better value than the $3500 Treck District Carbon! Now if there was just a way to get a test drive...
Old 08-17-11, 11:09 AM
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDaveFelt
We sell . . .
Before I read this part, I thought that Dave (Deademeat) had decided to create a new account because he loved his Felt so much that he had to put it in his name (and become Super).
Old 08-17-11, 11:15 AM
UCF Eric
OASAASLLS

Bikes: Pake, Surly Pacer, Kilo TT, Giant XTC, SE Stout, 853 Ritchey MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JesusBananas
Before I read this part, I thought that Dave (Deademeat) had decided to create a new account because he loved his Felt so much that he had to put it in his name (and become Super).
I'm really glad I'm not the only one who thought that.
Old 08-17-11, 06:25 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Footprint

Originally Posted by SuperDaveFelt
Certainly there are other options for single speed bicycles and arguments can be made for the "best value for your $1600" ad nauseam.
it's nice enough...
Old 08-17-11, 09:36 PM
Deademeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JesusBananas
Nope. If I had bought the Felt I would no doubt be loving it in imaginative and exciting new ways right now, but I've just been riding my trusty langster as much as I can (at least while the weather has permitted, which has not been that often recently). I did get a proper soaking a couple of days ago though (who looks at the weather before a ride?), so clearly I should replace it now - all the new-bike smell washed off.

If someone from Felt happened to know if there was a dealer somewhere near Philly that had one to try out (56, if I was being all specific and stuff), I could definitely be convinced to take a look.

Otherwise I'm going to start putting new bits onto my Specialized - it's a proven fact that the dust that builds up on old components makes you go up to 10mph slower. Lance Armstrong always has a clean bike - coincidence?

Dave
Old 08-18-11, 03:55 PM
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lance Armstrong always has a clean bike - coincidence?
Because dust doesn't build up on bikes that actually get ridden?

(Just teasing. )