Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Want a Lightweight & Relaxed Single Speed....Do I Need to Custom Build?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 04:34 PM
vpr80

Bikes: LOOK 555 Ultegra SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quick and to the point. Sold my LOOK 555 a year ago (wasn't riding much) and want to get a single speed for the random rides around the city, trip the park with the kid, etc.....

There are a few things that I want and after lots of searching online, I don't see anything that fits the bill. I want:
1) Relaxed/Compact Geometry - Need something comfortable, not a track machine.
2) Very Lightweight - I loved that my LOOK was approx ~16.5-17lbs so I want something light. Ideally I want it under 15lbs. For some reason, every pre-built bike that I find, although there are less components than my LOOK, weighs 18-20lbs stock.
3) Budget is Approx $1500. Is this realistic or will I need more?

So far the only really lightweight bikes that I've found were custom built ones that people posted pics online. I don't mind taking a bit of time to build a bike, but would rather either get a full bike or start with a good full build then upgrade parts with time.

As far as geometry, all the SS bikes seem to have track geometry and the only one that I liked is the new 2012 Specialized Langster, but that one again is like 19lbs.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-09-12, 04:35 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Wabi lightning?
Old 02-09-12, 04:40 PM
vpr80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaytron
Wabi lightning?
Not bad and pretty reasonably priced too. Although think the geometry is not very relaxed. Would like a bit more of an upright position since I won't be doing any marathons on this one.
Old 02-09-12, 04:51 PM
mikeetow

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
sub 15lbs you are better off building up your own bike.
Old 02-09-12, 04:56 PM
Deademeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I quite like the Felt Footprint. It could be cheaper, and it could be lighter (it is under 19lbs, but not by that much), but it is about the only carbon framed single speed that can be bought off the shelf (if you could find one, and I couldn't) that isn't the District Carbon (and if you have to ask how much that is you can't afford it).

There will be about 5 people after me pointing out that you can actually buy a lighter bike significantly cheaper. They are just haters.

Dave
Old 02-09-12, 04:56 PM
Jaytron
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Oh you want sub 15lbs... yeah good luck with that, you're going to have to build it yourself. There are no carbon track frames with relaxed geometry, so you'll likely have to source some carbon roadie and convert it. Or go custom as you mentioned in the thread title.

Question, why does this recreational bike have to be a 15lb bike? I feel like you're trying to do two things that are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

Last edited by Jaytron; 02-09-12 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-09-12, 05:15 PM
vpr80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok couple of thoughts......

I want a really light bike because I used to have a 21lb Kona recreational and didn't like the weight. I REALLY liked that the LOOK was so light and nimble.

I know that relaxed full carbon track frames basically don't exist, but I've seen some people build around 13lbs with Alu frames. Even one on a Langster.

I am ok building the bike up. But the question is, what are my options for the frame? I think the whole relaxed geometry basically removes most of the frames out there, but there must be some that are good.

And if I do a custom bike, is $1500 realistic for everything because it seems that it would not be enough to get that quality of components?
Old 02-09-12, 05:17 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
How relaxed do you want the bike to be? The Wabi has a road rather than track geo.
Old 02-09-12, 05:23 PM
GeroC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vpr80
Not bad and pretty reasonably priced too. Although think the geometry is not very relaxed. Would like a bit more of an upright position since I won't be doing any marathons on this one.
I just recently purchased the Wabi Lightning. After commuting with it a few times to school, I can definitely say it is not a relaxed ride. It's a great bike but the cockpit is really long. The frame fits me perfectly but that 90mm stem is just too long for me. Guess I have "short" arms.

To fix that, I purchased a shorter stem, riser bars, and a new saddle (stock saddle is really uncomfortable). Now the bike is definitely relaxed. Love it and I highly recommend it.
Old 02-09-12, 05:26 PM
UCF Eric
OASAASLLS

Bikes: Pake, Surly Pacer, Kilo TT, Giant XTC, SE Stout, 853 Ritchey MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Custom is always an option.

https://www.tsunamibikes.com/www.tsun...om/Frames.html

Read a few builds in the Road Forum and 650 for a custom geo track bike seems pretty good.
Old 02-09-12, 05:28 PM
vpr80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
How relaxed do you want the bike to be? The Wabi has a road rather than track geo.
I was hoping for something a bit more relaxed geo than regular road. If that's even possible.

Separately, why oh why does a full carbon Felt Footprint weigh close to 19lbs, that I don't get.
Old 02-09-12, 05:31 PM
markaitch
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i am sorry to have to tell you this, but the look 555 had a claimed weight of about 18.5-19 lbs for a medium (not to mention it listed for quite a bit more than $1500) so you may be making too big of a deal about wanting an ultra-light bike now.
Old 02-09-12, 05:38 PM
vpr80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I swear to you that my bike with ultegra sl and a couple of other light bits was just under 17lbs. I weighed it myself. Also I bought it used with under 100 miles for $1400.

But that doesn't really matter, I was just trying to figure out how much I'd need to spend on this one to get what want.
Old 02-09-12, 05:50 PM
docboyd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road frame you like + https://www.whiteind.com/rearhubs/singlespeedhubs.html = Something like Mike's https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/litespeed-m1-2485 ?
Old 02-09-12, 06:08 PM
redpear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
convert a ritte
Old 02-09-12, 06:15 PM
8bits

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
carbon road frame + eno eccentric hub or BB. Boom, light relaxed SS
Old 02-09-12, 06:41 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
My first impulse is to remark that this goal is the same weight as a TdF bike. But OTOH, you'd be losing the derailleurs, shifters, and all but two gears.

If you're going for SS (rather than fixed), that would let you use something like a Specialized Roubaix frameset. Haven't priced those, though.

- Scott
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 02-09-12 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-09-12, 06:46 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
relaxed geos aren't generally lightweight. race geos are made to handle well, relaxed geos are sluggish to react and want to hold their line. when you combine that with a sub-15 pound machine you are getting into dangerous territory where your momentum doesn't have any damper of weight to hold its line, and you end up having to work the machine too hard for where you want it to go, and because it doesn't respond well to your input(or, it responds all at once with little feedback) it's easy to find the bike flipping around, like when an inexperienced rider loses balance at low or medium speed and gets popped off the bike when the front wheel turns too fast.

what i'm trying to say is that you want something that isn't available for good reason- it doesn't make sense. just get a carbon road frame and bulid it up with super light components and an eno eccentric rear hub.

add as many spacers and as much positive rise to the stem as you need to get it to a comfortable and relaxed riding position, but don't try to find a relaxed road geo on a super light frame. if you want relaxed road geo and a singlespeed there are PLENTY of bikes available but they're not going to be 15 lbs. that's unrealistic. part of why your look was so lightweight is because the components that it had that differ from a SS (shifting mechanisms inside the brake hoods, derailleurs, cables, cassette and one chainring) are VERY lightweight. You still need all the heavy parts(crank, bb, brakes, hoods) for SS.
Old 02-09-12, 06:53 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 8bits
carbon road frame + eno eccentric hub or BB. Boom, light relaxed SS
this is a good idea.

i've recently done this by purchasing an ebay road chinese noname CF frame and fork and headset (370 delivered). built it up with an ENO eccentric rear hub and mostly vintage 80'ls components (front brake only). final price was way less than 1000. it came in at about 13lbs. couldn't be happier with it.
Old 02-09-12, 06:55 PM
tombc

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
I like how everyone in this forum's idea of relaxed is 73 degree angles instead of 74.
Old 02-09-12, 07:10 PM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
not me. i meant like 70-71, like hybrid bikes. he should have 72 or 73 for what he wants, and he should also consider not wasting his money and just make the target 17 lbs.
Old 02-09-12, 07:18 PM
vpr80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok got it so basically 2 options:

1) Custom built from a Road frame that I like with an Eno Hub then I can stay safe with the road geo AND have a really light final weight. I guess this is fine, just need to have the wheelset custom built right?

2) Pre-built SS bikes with more relaxed geo, but also a bit heavier. I liked the Wabi. Ok so cc700, what other bikes should I consider that fall around 17 lbs?

I hate to keep going back to this, but I am really liking the new Langster and the price is right where it still leaves me plenty of $$ to upgrade components. What do you guys think of that?
Old 02-09-12, 07:28 PM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i think if you're determined to spend 1500, you can do worse than the langster, lightning, or https://www.neuvationcycling.com/product268.html
Old 02-09-12, 08:00 PM
vpr80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do I do about a wheetset with an Eno hub if I buy a road frame? Take the road wheels and swap out the rear hubs? Or need to custom build a rear wheel?
Old 02-09-12, 08:06 PM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
chain tension

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.