Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter commuters, do you ride different routes in the snow?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 09:25 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts

Not sure if this should be posted in winter riding, or commuting forum, but it seems to be relevant here.
To those who commute year round, do you find yourself altering your normal daily routes during a snowstorm? Perhaps for traction, less traffic, better visibility, or other reasons.
I ask this after riding home from work this evening, I found myself taking a different route in the snow. My reasons for this include the fact that there was a decent amount of wind blown snow reducing visibility (for the car drivers), hesitation on my part (concerning traction in traffic) about a couple of steeper hills alongside a stretch of busy road and intersections, and a lack of confidence of the snow driving skills (and perhaps inability to clear their windows of snow and ice) of the automobile traffic sharing the road.
I guess my main concern was being seen, even with two headlights, two taillights, and reflective high vis gear.
I chose to take a longer route including more back toads, and a stretch of bike trail on the outskirts of town that does not get cleared regularly in the winter. I will say that if was a super enjoyable ride. It was nice to let my guard down a bit and enjoy riding in the fresh powder. I made it home in one piece, didn't take too much longer than usual, and arrived with a smile on my face.
Any others occupy the same frame of mind in similar conditions?
Old 01-06-15, 07:28 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
Not sure if this should be posted in winter riding, or commuting forum, but it seems to be relevant here.

To those who commute year round, do you find yourself altering your normal daily routes during a snowstorm? Perhaps for traction, less traffic, better visibility, or other reasons….

Any others occupy the same frame of mind in similar conditions?
I’m an early morning reverse, outbound urban commuter from downtown to a suburb, and for winter commuting I ride Marathon Winter studded tires. When it snows, especially at night, I seek out major thoroughfares, since they are the first plowed and the best maintained. I find the Marathon Winters are rideable through up to about three inches of snow.

There is usually not much traffic in my direction at that time of day, and but major concern for snowy roads is still traction for the traffic. I wear a rearview mirror and carefully monitor upcoming (and oncoming) cars for skidding. On one occasion I was able to go up a hill that the cars could not negotiate, so I enjoyed a short traffic-free ride until traffic entered from side streets further up the hill.
Old 01-06-15, 09:51 AM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Definitely.
Old 01-08-15, 07:01 AM
howeeee
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
sometime I will ride the sidewalks most of the way, so If i slip and fall it wont be under a moving car
Old 01-08-15, 01:17 PM
FrankHudson

Bikes: Five active bikes: 1983 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH, 2016 Jamis Roughneck Fatbike; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I change routes based on road conditions. Frozen ruts are difficult on my fairly narrow winter tires, so I avoid heavily rutted surfaces when I can. Slushy conditions would have me avoiding the otherwise decent wide bike paths down a couple of major streets near me (icy slush "wakes" from fast passing cars).
Old 01-08-15, 02:03 PM
jhill44
Bicycle User

Bikes: Felt F1x

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I take side streets over the busier streets of my normal commute just to avoid traffic. Slush makes the bike lanes invisible and I think cars think they are no longer in effect. It takes me longer, but I arrive alive.
Old 01-08-15, 02:11 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope. Moved to the Southern US and haven't seen snow yet this winter. One of the reasons I moved

Was actually commuting to work in shorts & a t shirt before this recent cold wave hit us. Now I'm almost to the point I'm going to wear a jacket!
Old 01-08-15, 02:13 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I tend to wimp out and drive if there's much snow or ice on the ground , but when I do ride, I tend to take a different route. Most of it is on a trail (the Cedar River Trail) that runs by the river and apart from some intersections, I don't have to worry about interacting with cars. However, the 1/3 or so closest to work is still shared with cars, and probably has the most pedestrian-unfriendly intersections possible.

I get "raised eyebrow" looks from most people when I say that I'd rather take streets than the trail to work, but at least with those streets, I'm riding with the cars and within their main field of view, rather than at the periphery, waiting for the rare chance to cross.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-08-15, 03:09 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I take a different route returning home not because of the snow but because of the sun. When I get out of work it's already dark and I don't want to ride through the park trail in the dark where there may be muggers. Yes, in my morning commute to work through the trail, I see park benches moved and ashes of extinguished fires inside the two tunnels I go through.

So in the winter on my return home in the dark, I take city streets. Most of it are side-streets and the major road does cross the highway but safely because I can stay in my lane and the motorist are the ones who have to change lanes around me.

When spring comes, I'll be going back to the park trail to return home.
Old 01-08-15, 04:36 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
eight inches or above of overnight snowfall will get me to take my shortest way to work. I have two route options. And the short way gets me to the main thoroughfare the quickest where I count on it being plowed. If it is, then the ride isn't so bad. If it isn't then I'm riding down a tire track the best I can to keep moving forward. But in a storm like that I'll leave a half-hour or 45 mins early to make up for the rough weather. And that all occurs at 4am.
Old 01-08-15, 05:06 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
I take a different in the cold but not usually in the snow. Both my winter and summer routes have little traffic by design. But my "high" winter route is about 200 feet higher and 15 degrees warmer than the "lower" summer route. The summer route is along a creek and has zero car traffic for about 8 of the 10 miles to work. The other route has only a little traffic but it is on streets.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-12-15, 02:19 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do for sure, not wholesale different routes but I will take different segments on any given day depending on the weather conditions, road conditions, and the condition of the MUP commuter trail. It's all about safety and ease of passage. Path of least resistance don't cha know..

In the summer I take completely different routes just to mix it up or get more miles.
Old 01-12-15, 02:35 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Absolutely - the once every 2 or 3 years that it happens. Our drivers lose their minds in snow, literally sliding everywhere and I take a route to stay as far away from them as possible.
Old 01-12-15, 02:45 PM
purple jelly

Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 3, 2012 Kestrel Talon Road Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I change my routes constantly. Sometimes just for a change of scenery. Sometimes because I want a flatter or hillier commute that day. Sometimes because the street sweepers haven't been around for a while. And sometimes because of stops I need to make on the way to or from work. I don't have snow to deal with thankfully in coastal California. But if there was snow, I would find a way to ride. Because I am hardcore. So hardcore in fact, I am going to go lube my chain whip right now.
Old 01-12-15, 03:02 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I ride a longer route on snowy days for all the reasons the OP states. My summer (direct) route is 8.5 miles. I rarely use this route when winter is in effect with reduced daylight and snow/ice everywhere.

My winter routes range from 9 to 13.5 miles. The 13.5 miles keeps me off nearly every road; the couple short stretches of roads are slow residential streets. When needed, I will ride the shorter route in the snow, but it's just a lot more stress. I have prefect control in these conditions, but the cars, not so much. Drivers do the DUMBEST things on the snow.

Unplowed trails don't bother me, now that I have a Pugsley. But even in the past, I'd ride my 26"x2" studded tires on unplowed trails with up to 4 inches of snow. Heck, I've even made a couple PM commutes with my 700x28 bike with up to 4 inches of fresh snow (those days when it started gorgeous & sunny and I thought the forecast was lying to me about snow in the afternoon... and it wasn't).

I enjoy snowy rides, taking the longer, quieter route is enjoyably.
Old 01-13-15, 06:33 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
All I do is change to the bike with studded tires.
Old 01-13-15, 06:55 PM
Crawford53

Bikes: 1994 Barracuda A2E, 1991 Specialized Rockhopper, 1993 Marin Bear Valley, 1995 Nishiki Cascade, 1970 Raleigh Sports (project)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both direct routes to work for me are the same length, but one is on busy multi-lane roads and the other is on quiet single-lane backroads. If the conditions are quite poor I try to weigh my concern for the skills of drivers against my desire to be close to a heated building should something go wrong on my ride. Just for aesthetic purposes I tend to take the backroads more often, but they lead me out into some rural lands.