Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

is heavier better on gravel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-23, 10:41 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
is heavier better on gravel?

Meaning , heavier frame, heavier bikes in general.

Do heavier bikes get bounced around less. Thus more efficient by keeping the rubber on the surface. Huge advantage in supple tires.

I do understand that in a real world it's not all flat and not all gravel is the same.

Just something I thought about. Based on having an interest in 2 bikes that are similar yet in two total differnt worlds. Kona Unit X for the Utility side.
And, carbon Scalpel HardTail with a normal fork. And no bs aiOffset. It would definitely make the climbs enjoyable!

Both bikes land between my RLT9 and my Trance 29er. Which is exploring bike, commuter ish bike, camp bike, gravel bike for when its too rough for skinny 40s but not yet in trance territory. I'm also finding it much more fun to explore towns on flat bar.

I've never ridden steel on gravel. I'm curious though on the Unit x
Old 09-09-23, 11:27 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I only notice heavier bikes being better on descents. I'm not talking about the heavier weight being slightly faster due to gravity; heavier bikes tended to feel more planted to me and better able to plow through technical sections going downhill. On flat terrain this is a wash because being heavier and more planted is offset by the lack of responsiveness.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 09-10-23, 03:58 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts
My last two bikes were about the same weight. Former was cx geometry, it was suspect on loose descents. Current bike is slack/mtb-like geometry and it’s a night-and-day improvement. Weight may be one factor, but I would think geometry is more important.
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 09-10-23, 09:35 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
No heavier just rides like a truck. My gravel/easy dirt trail bike had been my lugged steel tourer, with no racks, gravel tires, etc…. It weighed 26 lbs stripped down and was a beast to ride, especially up hills. I added a C-Dale Topstone to the stable in ‘19, much lighter aluminum, lighter wheels, wider tires that I could run at lower pressure. 22 lbs, was a really good ride on gravel/easy dirt trails.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 09-10-23, 09:44 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
Meaning , heavier frame, heavier bikes in general.

Do heavier bikes get bounced around less. Thus more efficient by keeping the rubber on the surface. Huge advantage in supple tires.

I do understand that in a real world it's not all flat and not all gravel is the same.

Just something I thought about. Based on having an interest in 2 bikes that are similar yet in two total differnt worlds. Kona Unit X for the Utility side.
And, carbon Scalpel HardTail with a normal fork. And no bs aiOffset. It would definitely make the climbs enjoyable!

Both bikes land between my RLT9 and my Trance 29er. Which is exploring bike, commuter ish bike, camp bike, gravel bike for when its too rough for skinny 40s but not yet in trance territory. I'm also finding it much more fun to explore towns on flat bar.

I've never ridden steel on gravel. I'm curious though on the Unit x
I recently swapped my 1x gravel bike components from a heavier alloy frame to a carbon frame. I went from 20.5 lbs. to 18.5 lbs. with the same components. Honestly I prefer the weight reduction especially on the climbs and I haven't noticed any issues on rough trails. If anything the carbon frame feels much more dampened in general. I don't really think weight is as much of an issue compared to frame material.
Old 09-10-23, 06:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Yeah, OP is onto something here.
It's why I ride 15# over ideal weight, so I can have a better ride on gravel. Yep, that's it. That's why I don't lose weight!

A heavier bike isn't better on gravel compared to a lighter bike. A heavier bike is just heavier.
I could cut 3# off my bike if I swapped my stout 853 steel frame for a light carbon frame, swapped wheels for some lighter carbon wheels, and got a lighter saddle.
My bike doesn't ride better now than a bike that's 3# lighter.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-10-23, 08:36 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
Do heavier bikes get bounced around less.
Not really. Most of what the rider has to deal with it stuff that's low-frequency for the tires to filter out, so heavier just means more mass for you to wrangle.

It's often worth paying a price in weight for something, but the weight generally isn't a benefit in its own right.
Old 09-13-23, 05:12 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
My gravel bike isn't heavy enough to avoid being thrown around, so I gained weight to compensate.

But really, it's not going to help.
Likes For unterhausen: