Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Track Stand

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-24, 04:24 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I can’t track stand. I can do a pseudo track stand but It’s not legitimate ...
What's a pseudo track stand? Is that where you lean against a dumpster?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-15-24, 08:16 PM
LarryMelman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
What's a pseudo track stand? Is that where you lean against a dumpster?
I bet it involves duct tape and a three-dollar bill.
Old 01-25-24, 09:08 PM
bironi
bironi

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 118 Posts
I can’t track stand. I can do a pseudo track stand but It’s not legitimate, like a roadie who can’t bunny hop without being clipped in. Frankly it’s rather embarrassing, I’m worried people won’t take me seriously, but I cannot do it despite much practicing. Anyone else have this issue?
It's about relaxing.
Try it after a beer on a grass surface.
Add another beer if you're still skittish.
Old 01-27-24, 10:25 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 175 Posts
My suggestion for learning a track stand:

Learn it exactly like you will do it - on your bike, on the flat, unsupported, moving in and out of it. Go really slow. Stop. Hold it until you can't, pedal a bit to recover. Repeat. Each time try to get a few more milliseconds out of the stop phase. Do this often - like for five minutes at the start of every ride.

It's the same thing you want to do every time you get to a red light, except that you are forcing yourself to practice it in a safe place. That's what I like about this method - it's completely authentic to how you ride a bike and not contrived by leaning against a wall or hill or something.
Old 01-28-24, 12:50 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
I’m a roadie that can’t bunny hop without being clipped in. But then, how many roadies ride flat pedals? Add that to not being able to do a track stand, I guess that makes me a Sunday bicycler, but I’m ok with that. So much for impressing the ‘real men’.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-28-24, 01:04 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Only track stand I've ever done was by accident.
Long ride 95f 95%, exhausted, stopped at a light
Was so tired that I forgot to put my leg down.
Some pedestrian is looking at me funny, but I was too tired to care.
Light changed, I went on my way

A shower, some rest, food, and hydration later I realized it was a cool track stand or I looked like I was about to die.
(probably both)
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 01-28-24, 01:57 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
That's what I like about this method - it's completely authentic to how you ride a bike and not contrived by leaning against a wall or hill or something.
Right ... and unlike the fake method of leaning against a wall, with this method one can crash sideways to the ground and shatter one's collarbone, just as it would happen ion the street.
Old 01-28-24, 04:40 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
I can hold a track stand for about as long as I can hold the thought "Who Am I ?"
Likes For Garthr:
Old 01-28-24, 06:08 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
My suggestion for learning a track stand:

Learn it exactly like you will do it - on your bike, on the flat, unsupported, moving in and out of it. Go really slow. Stop. Hold it until you can't, pedal a bit to recover. Repeat. Each time try to get a few more milliseconds out of the stop phase. Do this often - like for five minutes at the start of every ride.
Several years ago I decided “ there’s no reason a 60 year old man cannot learn to track stand”. It being the dead of winter, I made a shallow ramp from scrap wood, maybe about 5 degree slope and about the size of dinner tray. Set that on the shop floor next to my vise. I clamped a board in the vise to grab onto as I was falling off. Lined my geared mtn bike up on that small ramp, wheel turned about 40 deg to the left and got started. MANY failures but I could just grab that board each time then restart. With no fear of falling I kept at it. A couple minutes each day. Finally I held the track stand 1second. Many failures then 3 seconds. Then 5, 10, 15. I got pretty good at it. I still practice on occasion. Yeah, it’s pretty much a “parlor trick”.

For me there’s no real use “in the wild” other than standing next to some car who has pulled into a pedestrian crossing and stopped for the light. It really alarms them. BUT the very low speed balance it taught me has been very helpful during all sorts of riding. And I always win the slow races with my grand kids.

BTW: while learning, I had to retrain my brain. Since back when I was a kid I was “right footed”, always stopped the bike with my right foot forward. As I live in the USA, I had to change that - get into the habit of stopping with my left foot forward. No worries. Did that too.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 01-28-24, 08:00 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Another cool, albeit useless technique is one that a guy in my local cycling team/club dreamed up, and the rest of us then imitated, back around 1965. Instead of coming to a complete stop and swinging your leg over the top tube or back wheel to get off the bike, you would (1) stand on the left pedal as it came up and past 12:00 and (2) let the bike shoot forward out from under you, putting your right foot down and grabbing your saddle just in time.

One of the clumsier riders once had his bike get away from him before he grabbed the saddle, to much merriment from the rest of us.

It was easy to learn that dismount technique on a track bike (which was all I owned at the time), but it was only a bit trickier on a road bike. Anyone posting here could probably learn it in about two minutes.

As far as I know, we were the only riders anywhere who used what I guess I can therefore call the "New Haven dismount."

Could come in handy for cyclocross, I imagine.

Edit: I haven't tried it in at least 40 years. Forgot to mention: loosen your toe straps first!!! And it might not work reliably with clipless pedals, to put it mildly.
I remembered seeing this on one of Sheldon Brown's articles on fixed gear riding:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html#mounting

That would be amazing to see!

(On my first fixed gear ride years ago, I did a partial version of this idea: I tried to coast as I came up to a stop sign. I got bounced right off the saddle. No tip over crash, good.)
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 01-28-24, 08:48 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I remembered seeing this on one of Sheldon Brown's articles on fixed gear riding:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html#mounting

That would be amazing to see!

(On my first fixed gear ride years ago, I did a partial version of this idea: I tried to coast as I came up to a stop sign. I got bounced right off the saddle. No tip over crash, good.)
Thanks for that! I had no idea that the technique was known outside New Haven. Guess it should be called the "New England Dismount," since Sheldon was in Massachusetts.

He doesn't say where he first saw it being done, unfortunately. Guess its origin is lost in the mists of time. Funny that it wasn't revived and then adopted en masse during the 1990's - 2000's tixie fad.

Just looked on YouTube for bike dismount videos. Found this video with six different techniques, but not the N.E. Dismount.

Bingo. Here's the dismount Sheldon was referring to, with a variation: the rider hops off, which looks pretty clumsy compared to the classic Sheldon/New Haven technique of stepping casually off the bike. Still, it gets the job done and gives you an idea of how easy it would be to learn.

Sheldon is mistaken about it being impossible to perform the dismount with a road bike, by the way. Since you have to push forward and begin to stand on the pedal simultaneously, the point in the circle where you do that happens just a few degrees before top dead center whether you're dismounting a track bike or a road bike. Maybe a fixed gear allows you to be a little less careful about where you start the push, but the difference in the pedaling circle positions can't be more than a few degrees.

Last edited by Trakhak; 01-28-24 at 08:51 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-28-24, 12:03 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
I can't ride "hands free", may be from my days as a newspaper delivery rider!

gm
Old 01-28-24, 12:22 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
I can hold a track stand for about as long as I can hold the thought "Who Am I ?"
Someone who's honest about their ADHD?
Old 01-28-24, 12:32 PM
Litho dbh
El Rayo X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts
I can’t track stand. I can do a pseudo track stand but It’s not legitimate, like a roadie who can’t bunny hop without being clipped in. Frankly it’s rather embarrassing, I’m worried people won’t take me seriously, but I cannot do it despite much practicing. Anyone else have this issue?
Trackstanding is nice and all, but really not that big of a deal. If you really want to impress people, wheelies are more awesome. Work on that instead.
Old 01-28-24, 01:12 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts

Old 01-28-24, 01:31 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
And I always win the slow races with my grand kids.

what ever happened to those races anyways, I heard they were popular in America at the turn of the 19th-20th century. I’d be good at them too, I practice track stands every day at every red light as another above poster suggested. Haven’t made any noticeable improvement, but I still try
Old 01-28-24, 04:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by gringomojado
I can't ride "hands free", may be from my days as a newspaper delivery rider!

gm
OMG, you may not be a real cyclist according to Larry. The shame.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-28-24, 05:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Litho dbh
Trackstanding is nice and all, but really not that big of a deal. If you really want to impress people, wheelies are more awesome. Work on that instead.
Oh put the pressure on.

Now to be a ‘real cyclist’ I must be able to

1. Track stand
2. Bunny hop uncleated
3. Ride no hands
4. Do wheelies

What’s next? The horror. The horror.

I can do #3 as well as take a jacket/vest/gloves on and off while riding and eat/drink, but that’s the best I can do. Sigh. I have to face it, I will never be a real cyclist.

Last edited by rsbob; 01-28-24 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-30-24, 07:55 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 175 Posts
This thread has inspired me to work on my track stand.

I've learned a couple of things. While the ability to do a track stand might be a "parlor trick", it does correlate with long hours of experience on a bike, as well as excellent skills handling said bike. If you see someone that can do a track stand, take it as a hint that they didn't start riding yesterday and that they probably have been around the block a few times.

I also bolted aero bars onto my bike this weekend and have been learning to ride with them. Believe it or not, riding aero bars helps with your track stand. You can ride and sight over your thumbs and clearly see how much your body rocks unnecessarily. Then, because you don't have the torque advantage of longer handlebars, you learn to control smaller movements. You balance more and rely less on simply turning the bars to stay upright.
Old 01-30-24, 11:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
They shoot horses, don’t they?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-30-24, 11:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by indyfabz
They shoot horses, don’t they?
That just might be your most inspired quote ever. Well done and oh so true.

Old 01-31-24, 04:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
That just might be your most inspired quote ever. Well done and oh so true.
I saw the film when I was young.
Old 01-31-24, 11:30 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I saw the film when I was young.
Same here. Quite depressing.

Old 01-31-24, 12:00 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
if you can't track stand sell your fixed ... no point in posing if you can't strike a pose
Old 01-31-24, 03:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Oh put the pressure on.

Now to be a ‘real cyclist’ I must be able to

1. Track stand
2. Bunny hop uncleated
3. Ride no hands
4. Do wheelies

What’s next? The horror. The horror.

I can do #3 as well as take a jacket/vest/gloves on and off while riding and eat/drink, but that’s the best I can do. Sigh. I have to face it, I will never be a real cyclist.
This list is like one of those videos GCM puts out - "The Four Things Beginning Cyclists Must Learn".

But of course, those are all parlor tricks that don't have much to do with cycling. Well, maybe riding no hands is a useful skill, though generally I prefer to just stop and take the jacket off, since I ride alone. Then again if I rode in a group, I wouldn't try to take a jacket off while riding no hands either.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.