Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a 2 week bike trip

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 12:25 PM
jsilva631

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Fellow bikers,

My name is John and I am new to the forums as well as to the Bay Area, but I been biking on/off for two decades. DW and I plan to take a two weeks off and I am looking for suggestions on places we can bike. DW is more of a advanced beginner, and a park or an area with car camping and lots of fire roads, or other off-road trails that are not too technical would be great. Our idea is to car camp at a place for a week or so, and bike few hours on trails/fire roads every day.

Really appreciate any suggestions you may have!
Old 04-12-16, 02:35 PM
n2knee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsilva631
Hello Fellow bikers,

My name is John and I am new to the forums as well as to the Bay Area, but I been biking on/off for two decades. DW and I plan to take a two weeks off and I am looking for suggestions on places we can bike. DW is more of a advanced beginner, and a park or an area with car camping and lots of fire roads, or other off-road trails that are not too technical would be great. Our idea is to car camp at a place for a week or so, and bike few hours on trails/fire roads every day.

Really appreciate any suggestions you may have!
Try Mt. Diablo. I think there is also a first come first serve camp site somewhere near.
Old 04-14-16, 01:23 PM
jsilva631

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n2knee
Try Mt. Diablo. I think there is also a first come first serve camp site somewhere near.
@n2knee - Thanks, will check it out.
Old 04-14-16, 02:10 PM
mel2012

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You might look at camping at Beal's Point in Folsom (outside Sacramento). The campground is literally right next to the American River Bike Trail, which is a 30 mile paved trail from Folsom to Sacramento. You can also loop around Lake Natoma. Going east from the campground there are mountain bike trails. I don't mountain bike, but based on this, there are some "easy" trails: Sacramento trail maps and Sierra Foothill trail maps. You can also bike several miles through the park at Granite Bay (they regularly hold sprint triathlons on the park roads). Going south, you can take bridge in front of the Folsom dam and get to an extensive network of paved trails in Folsom (not the most scenic, but hey, it's a traffic free environment).
Old 04-14-16, 02:53 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mel2012
You might look at camping at Beal's Point in Folsom (outside Sacramento). The campground is literally right next to the American River Bike Trail, which is a 30 mile paved trail from Folsom to Sacramento. You can also loop around Lake Natoma. Going east from the campground there are mountain bike trails. I don't mountain bike, but based on this, there are some "easy" trails: Sacramento trail maps and Sierra Foothill trail maps. You can also bike several miles through the park at Granite Bay (they regularly hold sprint triathlons on the park roads). Going south, you can take bridge in front of the Folsom dam and get to an extensive network of paved trails in Folsom (not the most scenic, but hey, it's a traffic free environment).
This is a great suggestion. At least for all the riding around there. I've never camped there.