Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't get indexing to work properly when changing from an 8 speed to 9

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-22, 01:42 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Old hybrid bike, a KHS. It had an 8 speed rear wheel, triple on front, and broken shifters. I had a nine speed cassette and 9 speed shifters so I traded them out. Tried to tune up the rear but no matter what it would skip, jumping from position 3 to 4. If I adjusted tension to address that issue then it won't shift properly elsewhere.

What I have done:
-checked limits and they are fine
-checked for bent derailleur hanger, it is fine
-tried a different cassette, still a problem. That cassette and chain are new.
-tried a different 9 speed wheel, same problem with that wheel
-tried different set of 9 speed shifters, still the same problem
-checked frame alignment using "string" method. No indication that it is out of alignment.

The only thing I didn't do is go back to an 8 speed as I have no 8 speed shifters.

Any thoughts?

[Edit: I did replace all cables and housing]

Last edited by goldfinch; 10-28-22 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-28-22, 01:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Replace the cable? Perhaps a kink in the cable so anything you run with a shift at that cable location has issues?

Just a guess but it's an easy fix and if I'm wrong, oh well, you just did a routine tune-up ahead of schedule. (Edit: could be the housing also.)
Old 10-28-22, 01:52 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Replace the cable? Perhaps a kink in the cable so anything you run with a shift at that cable location has issues?

Just a guess but it's an easy fix and if I'm wrong, oh well, you just did a routine tune-up ahead of schedule. (Edit: could be the housing also.)

I should have said that I replaced all cables and housing.
Old 10-28-22, 01:55 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Did you check the derailer hanger alignment?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-28-22, 01:55 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Is everything the same brand?
Old 10-28-22, 02:10 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
When systems index perfectly except for a single mid-range position, you have to focus on variables specific to that. It could be an issue with the shifter cam being off or dirty, so maybe it'll resolve. Otherwise, I'd consider that chain length (and/or) B screw are off from ideal. That can place the jockey wheel too close or too far from the sprocket at that particular position.

Since you seem to have another 9s bike, try the problem wheel on that bike to rule the cassette out, Next, carefully observe the jockey wheel to sprocket distance where it shifts poorly and try using the B-screw to change that.

If it is the cassette (shifts off on the other bike, you can address the shifting problem by micro-shimming that one sprocket. Cut out paper spacers soaked in oil work fine for that purpose.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-28-22 at 02:13 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-28-22, 02:31 PM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
When systems index perfectly except for a single mid-range position, you have to focus on variables specific to that. It could be an issue with the shifter cam being off or dirty, so maybe it'll resolve. Otherwise, I'd consider that chain length (and/or) B screw are off from ideal. That can place the jockey wheel too close or too far from the sprocket at that particular position.

Since you seem to have another 9s bike, try the problem wheel on that bike to rule the cassette out, Then carefully observe the jockey wheel to sprocket distance where it shifts poorly and try y=using the B-screw to change that.

Thanks. I think it might be the B screw. Even screwed all the way in the jockey wheel is quite far from the cassette. Chain size seems fine, I sized it my usual way. Anyway, off to run errands, will try a different der when I get home.
Old 10-28-22, 02:32 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Old hybrid bike, a KHS. It had an 8 speed rear wheel, triple on front, and broken shifters. I had a nine speed cassette and 9 speed shifters so I traded them out. Tried to tune up the rear but no matter what it would skip, jumping from position 3 to 4. If I adjusted tension to address that issue then it won't shift properly elsewhere.

What I have done:
-checked limits and they are fine
-checked for bent derailleur hanger, it is fine
-tried a different cassette, still a problem. That cassette and chain are new.
-tried a different 9 speed wheel, same problem with that wheel
-tried different set of 9 speed shifters, still the same problem
-checked frame alignment using "string" method. No indication that it is out of alignment.

The only thing I didn't do is go back to an 8 speed as I have no 8 speed shifters.

Any thoughts?

[Edit: I did replace all cables and housing]
Please list all components' Brands and Models... there is a mismatch somewhere and that info will help us identify that mismatch. Example:..A 9 speed CHAIN differs from 6-7-8 Speed chain... And i've seen a worn Rear Derailleur cause what you describe... also causes reluctance during Downshifting.
Old 10-28-22, 04:40 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Thanks. I think it might be the B screw. Even screwed all the way in the jockey wheel is quite far from the cassette.
If it’s anything like my rear derailleur, the screw has to be screwed out to get the jockey wheel closer to the cassette.
Likes For smd4:
Old 10-28-22, 06:22 PM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
Please list all components' Brands and Models... there is a mismatch somewhere and that info will help us identify that mismatch. Example:..A 9 speed CHAIN differs from 6-7-8 Speed chain... And i've seen a worn Rear Derailleur cause what you describe... also causes reluctance during Downshifting.
Deore rear Der, Altus shifters, unknown cassettes, though I did try one Shimano with no difference. 9 speed KMC chain.
Old 10-28-22, 06:23 PM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
If it’s anything like my rear derailleur, the screw has to be screwed out to get the jockey wheel closer to the cassette.
Went both ways, oddly, little difference in position. Going to try a different der.
Old 10-28-22, 07:27 PM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Ok, solved with different derailleur that allowed me to get a better B screw adjustment. Thanks everyone. I learned a lot with this particular problem. The deraiileur I had put on the problem bike works fine on another bike so I do think it was a B screw problem.
Likes For goldfinch:
Old 10-30-22, 06:20 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Ok, solved with different derailleur that allowed me to get a better B screw adjustment. Thanks everyone. I learned a lot with this particular problem. The deraiileur I had put on the problem bike works fine on another bike so I do think it was a B screw problem.
Or a worn out Der... they can act just as you had described... when you add up a worn upper/lower knuckle, and worn rollers... !

Glad it's working now!

Last edited by maddog34; 10-30-22 at 06:25 PM.