Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

SRAM 1x shifting issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 06:23 AM
Ribble2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM 1x shifting issue

Hi,

I have a Rival groupset on my Cyclo-cross bike and the gears are set up and work well except for one issue.
The 1 click to shift up works as it should through all 11 gears and the double click to shift down also works.

however, when I’m in the highest gear and want to shift to the first of the larger cogs, going from gear 11 to gear 10 I can only get it to engage by using a single click. If I double tap from the highest gear it will jump gear 10 and go straight to gear 9. This gets confusing during a ride.

Does anyone know if this is normal? On my gravel bike I have SRAM Apex and this works as it should.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-23, 01:20 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Double Tap doesn't actually refer to double-tapping; it's more like a short tap (to release cable tension) vs. a long tap (to increase cable tension).
Old 07-20-23, 05:01 AM
Ribble2020

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I shall try that on my ride tomorrow, I’ve always wondered if I was using correctly.
Old 07-20-23, 05:02 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
A single click and release will shift up a gear. A longer push through that first click to the second click will shift down a gear. An even longer push to a third click will shift down two gears.

There is no way for a single click to allow a downshift. Perhaps you've been shifting down two gears and don't have the feel for how to do a single downshift.
Old 07-24-23, 10:13 AM
cellery

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Yes this is how your SRAM road system is supposed to work regardless of 1x or 2x. It's 1-click to get out of the smallest (hardest) gear for the rear shifter. This is true of all of SRAM's modern mechanical brifters.
Old 07-24-23, 10:24 AM
cellery

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
We're not talking about the rest of the cassette, which does behave as you indicate. What OP is talking about specifically only happens when shifting from smallest cog > next cog. On all of my SRAM mechanical road groups it's 1-click to get out of the smallest cog towards larger cogs. The same movement you make when doing the total opposite on the rest of the cassette to shift into a smaller cog. That is, until you get to the smallest cog - then the behavior flips. Yes, it doesn't make sense from a UX design and predictability perspective. My girlfriend just switched from Shimano to SRAM road 1x and is having the same confusion. I told her it will become muscle memory after about 3 rides but she, like me after 7-years of these SRAM road groups will still get confused in the smallest cog if you're not looking at the rear of your bike. I've had hydro groups and mech groups, they're all like this.