Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Michigan MTB'ing trail suggestions

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 09:30 AM
El-Producto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some friends and I are planning a 4 day road-trip to Michigan for Brewery tours/mountain biking. Looking for suggestions on the best trails in the state. We'd like to camp or B&B.

We are coming from Ontario, and have the option of either Sault Ste. Marie, or Sarnia crossings.
Old 03-01-11, 02:33 PM
outtabreath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How far south are you planning on traveling? I ride in the southern half of the state and could give some suggestions. Also when makes a difference. We are losing alot of our snow now but most trails will be too soft to ride for awhile. But then that can change quickly with a good freeze. You can post or e-mail me and I will share with you what I know.
Ed
Old 03-03-11, 07:04 PM
bh357

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As outtabreath stated, our thaw is coming soon. Check over at mmba.org for current trail/thaw conditions.

North Country Trail segment A, from Beers Road to Dilling Road. Near Mesick (NW of Cadillac).
High Country Pathway. Absolutely looooove the southern portion (Pigeon Bridge near Vanderbilt over to Clear Lake State Park near Atlanta)
Boyne Mountain

For SE Michigan, hit up the Poto or Highland.
For SW Michigan, both Custer and Yankee are great.

Another option is Cannonsburg (both the Ski and State Game Area), and Luton Park outside of Grand Rapids. All are within riding distance from each other, and the Founders tap room is not terribly far.

I haven't ridden there yet, but I've heard great things about Copper Harbor.
Old 03-03-11, 07:54 PM
"Fred"
Got Hills, I do!

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 9.9 - Trek Supercaliber 9.9.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I live in NW lower and there are so many unreal trails around here. lots of climbing and fun downhills. If you decide to come near Boyne or Petoskey post with what kind of skill level and distance you want and I can give you many suggestions and even some groups to ride with.
Old 03-07-11, 06:11 PM
social suicide

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
The best beer and trails are in the U.P.. From Sault Ste. Marie Michigan you are 3 1/2 hours away from Marquette. 5 hours away from Houghton and only about 3 hours away from Bruno's Run in Munising. Marquette area has 3 breweries Houghton has 2.
Old 03-14-11, 10:47 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Bikes: 2010 Niner EMD, 2008 Surly Steamroller, 2007 Giant OCR.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Michigan is a big state, and lots of great mountain biking. If you are coming in through Sarnia and in the SE area you'll need to hit the Poto trail... as others suggested Yankee Springs and Fort Custer can't be missed if you are on the west side of the state - Custer isn't too far from Bell's either!

Probably the best thing to do is figure out what region you are headed and spend some time on mmba.org to find the trails in the area.