Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Lessons learned from one year of fixed-gear riding

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-11, 11:24 PM
toosahn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought my Mark V about a 13-14 months ago and I'd like to share some lessons that I've learned during this time period. Obviously, veterans need not read, but if you are just getting into it, take a look. Some of these are specific to fixed-gear riding, and some are for biking in general.

In no particular order:

-Fit matters. This one is cliche but one that many first-timers or inexperienced bikers will ignore. Not only does top-tube length matter, but so does the cut of the steerer-tube (if you have a threadless setup) or, more generally, the height of the handlebars. I rode for nearly 10 months of these year with aridiculous saddle-to-bar drop. It's uncomfortable and that makes me slower and less enthusiastic about rides over 10 miles.

-Don't cut your handlebars too short. I made the mistake of cutting my handlebars too short, but it was more of a miscalculation than a conscious fashion-choice. It really is uncomfortable when your bars are even a centimeter narrower than the width of your shoulders.

-Skidding is fun, but so is going fast. I pace-pedaled and did light skidding and skip-stopping for about 11 months. It was fun to learn all these techniques. However, I somewhat agree with Sheldon's point that pace-pedaling does reduce strength for forward motion. And on my bike, I'm all about going forward. Additionally, waking up every morning with mildly sore knees gets a bit old (and I'm young!).

-Using a brake can be fun on a fixed gear. A brake facilitates more forward velocity as you don't have to be hyper-aware of ever little obstruction or potential obstruction coming your way. You can focus more on riding fast with the peace of mind that comes with having an effective and safe stopping tool just a finger's length away. I'm thinking of adding a rear-brake just for a little added stopping power.

-Tires matter. The most effective way to improve the ride quality, handling, and performance of your bike is to get better tires.

-Foot retention is a must. This is one lesson I learned very early on and I'm glad I did.

-Have some basic tools: 15mm wrench, tire levers, patches, hex-wrench set (metric), pliers, lockring spanner, and chainwhip. Additionally, keep these maintenance items around: lubricant (like Boeshield), grease, floor pump. This is not exhaustive.

-Find a shop in your area that has loaner tools. Knowing how your bike works and how to fix it is the only way to go. Too many people ride around without a clue.

-Going new isn't always best. I've found amazing deals on frames and components on ebay and craigslist. Kilo TT, IRO, etc aren't the only options out there if you are on a budget.

-Try to spend more time riding and less on bikeforums. It's hard, I know.

The most important lesson and one I learned none to soon: There are other bikes out there. Riding a fixed-gear is fun and challenging and often exhilarating; but so is riding any bike. All bikes have their uses, their quirks and very-own character. I just recently bought a late 70's custom lugged frame and it is such joy to ride; so smooth and elegant. There is no one perfect bike out there and it's nice to have at least a couple to choose from (and you don't need to be rich to have a couple of bikes these days, I'm certainly not!).
Old 08-17-11, 01:35 AM
Kinkikowboi

Bikes: Iro Mark V

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that a front brake produces more stopping power than a back break -- as long as you're not locking the front break, it should be more useful. Just a heads up.
Old 08-17-11, 01:58 AM
redpear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, but having front and rear brakes is always better than having only one.
Old 08-17-11, 08:23 AM
hamish5178

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
However, I somewhat agree with Sheldon's point that pace-pedaling does reduce strength for forward motion. And on my bike, I'm all about going forward. Additionally, waking up every morning with mildly sore knees gets a bit old (and I'm young!).
Wait what?

Also, the sore knees were unbearable. . .for about a week. Now that I've been riding brakeless for close to 5 months my knees never hurt.
Old 08-17-11, 08:43 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by toosahn
There are other bikes out there. Riding a fixed-gear is fun and challenging and often exhilarating; but so is riding any bike. All bikes have their uses, their quirks and very-own character.
Yes.
I remember when seeing a few times here and on other forums people saying, "if it aint fixed, it's broken" or "fixed for life" and I felt they were totally serious about only riding fixed gear.
Old 08-17-11, 09:10 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Good write up, but what the heck is pace pedaling?
Old 08-17-11, 09:14 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pace pedaling is slowing down using the fixed rear, without actually skidding.

Last edited by prooftheory; 08-17-11 at 09:17 AM. Reason: sp
Old 08-17-11, 09:52 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
You can focus more on riding fast with the peace of mind that comes with having an effective and safe stopping tool just a finger's length away.
how can you focus when all the cool kids are making fun of you for having brakes?
Old 08-17-11, 10:55 AM
toosahn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kinkikowboi
I remember reading somewhere that a front brake produces more stopping power than a back break -- as long as you're not locking the front break, it should be more useful. Just a heads up.
Yes, but I but think you might have misread my original post. I was saying that I was thinking adding a rear brake just to have a bit more stopping power. Sometimes when going down a steep hill it helps to have a rear to limit the chances of either not stopping fast enough or trying to stop too hard on the front brakes and flipping over the bars. I've broken both my wrists (on a different by) from flipping over the bars.
Old 08-17-11, 10:56 AM
toosahn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think what I meant was achy knees rather than sore. Living in an urban environment means you are constantly slowing, accelerating and anticipating both. This puts constant stress on the knees, especially if you are skidding, skipping or pace-pedaling.
Old 08-18-11, 01:29 AM
camashtorcal
バカスゴい

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro with FBM Sword fork, Ridley Oval,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toosahn, I loved your write up. To be honest even veteran riders could learn a lot. It surprises me how many are still completely fashion over form(including myself). But I think one of the big differences for fixed gear folk is unlike roadies or mountain bikers is that they buy their bikes at bike shops and thus get better initial fits than we originally do. Much of the flipping nature of fixed gear folk is finding the right bike that fits. How many folk have owned 2 to 3 different sizes of the same bike? How many have owned a 53cm Kilo and a 57cm and when they finally made the 55cm Kilo they bought that and went back to the 53 stripper because of its lack of decals. And since most road and mtb are compact frames and are much easier to find a good fit for but since those frames have never been fashionable amongst fixed gear riders than discomfort while riding is simply just apart of "it." There is a thread dedicated to a bunch of folks that went out and bought an actual modern day track frame which requires a positive rise stem due to the low head tube height but most were clueless to that and are surprised that with their level stems or negative rise stems that the frame is too uncomfortable. I'm glad you are learning and making some steps towards the direction of form, I am too. One step at a time, I guess. The lego nature of the fixed gear rider gets exhausting and frustrating. All of the money that I've spent, lost and gained I could have had a perfectly fit, aesthetically pleasing bike or bikes. What fools some of us are and the bike industry is just loving our ignorance.
Old 08-18-11, 09:24 AM
MACRI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's just a bicycle for christ sakes
Old 08-18-11, 10:39 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by MACRI
And you're in a bicycle forum.
Old 08-18-11, 10:58 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Seriously dude, go back to foo.
Old 08-18-11, 12:12 PM
MACRI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok fine, enjoy the rest of your lifestyle ^,^
Old 08-18-11, 12:16 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
In my experience, fit matters most when riding fixed. My knees will tell me if my seat is a few mm too high or low on the fixed gear.
Old 08-18-11, 01:15 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

ok fine, enjoy the rest of your lifestyle ^,^
Says the dude who got all defensive about longboarding.
Old 08-18-11, 03:30 PM
fxdgrjedi
Fakenger

Bikes: Yo Eddy Team, Serotta Colorado II

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toosahn

-Fit matters. This one is cliche but one that many first-timers or inexperienced bikers will ignore. Not only does top-tube length matter, but so does the cut of the steerer-tube (if you have a threadless setup) or, more generally, the height of the handlebars.
This is true. A bike that fits well allows you to cut the steerer tube hella short and SLAM the stem. You gotta be rocking some good saddle to bar drop to gain any street cred. It also makes you faster. Back hurts? See Rule #5.
Old 08-18-11, 04:10 PM
hamfoh
hamcycles.com

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Says the dude who got all defensive about longboarding.
god thank you for reminding me
Old 08-18-11, 04:34 PM
toosahn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can see what you are trying to get at. That bicycle culture is merely another subculture that is out-of-touch with the grander schema of modern society.

A valid criticism, but it is a fallacy to assume that just because people like bikes, and like to talk about them with each other either in-person or online, that they have nothing else going on in their lives.

One can love bikes and still be very much grounded in the axes of politics and culture.
Old 08-18-11, 04:37 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

And longboarding.
Old 08-18-11, 04:39 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
And longboarding.
What's wrong with longboarding?
Old 08-18-11, 04:47 PM
andrizzle
Enson

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=#post13039718

he's a bad troll... well maybe not bad, just young.
Old 08-18-11, 04:52 PM
just dank
Cult Classic Cycling Club

Bikes: Ridley Helium, Norco Search

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
What's wrong with rollerblading?
Old 08-18-11, 05:06 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Ahaha

Please tell me you guys are just dissing off the sport to diss off the troll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.