Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trainer vs Exercise Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trainer vs Exercise Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-11, 03:29 PM
timtim2008

Bikes: Schwinn Searcher E8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trainer vs Exercise Bike

Which do you prefer Trainer (using your normal bike) vs Exercise Bike?
Old 09-22-11, 03:44 PM
SPiercey

Bikes: Trek PDX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would also like to know peoples opinions on this. Coming up on the winter months I'm not going to be able to ride as much so I'm looking to either hook my bike up to a trainer or buy an exercise bike.

Trainers seem a lot cheaper on price vs quality and I'm leaning towards that since it puts me in the actual riding position I use rather then something that might be unfamiliar/strange.

From what I've read the only downside is wear and tear on the bike, especially the back tire so maybe I'll buy a cheap slick for trainer purposes.
Old 09-22-11, 03:59 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Indoor bicycles, in this order ...

1) Trainer ... it's a lot more realistic.

2) Spinning bike / taking a spinning class ... perhaps a little bit less realistic, but if you get into a good class they can get you into shape, and it's nice to get out and do something like that with a group of people. The hours go by faster.

3) Stationary exercise bike ... only if you're desperate for something to use to keep in shape.

My recommendation would be to sign up for a spinning class 1-2 times a week, and then ride the trainer the rest of the time.

As for wear and tear on the bicycle ... there really isn't much. I've also never had issues with my back tire ... no worse than riding on the road.
Old 09-22-11, 09:38 PM
gforeman 

Bikes: Specialized Crux Elite X1, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Personally, I just ordered a Spinner. I want the indoor bike always ready. I am getting one that takes a seat just like my bicycle, and pedals.

2019 Specialized Crux Elite X1
2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
My bike page: https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
Old 09-22-11, 09:43 PM
DGozinya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you get a trainer, get one of those red rubber tires. They are designed for trainers and won't wear down your normal tires. I also hear that if you do run a normal tire, be prepared for small black flecks of rubber all around the bike.
Old 09-22-11, 10:11 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by DGozinya
If you get a trainer, get one of those red rubber tires. They are designed for trainers and won't wear down your normal tires. I also hear that if you do run a normal tire, be prepared for small black flecks of rubber all around the bike.
I rode a trainer all last winter, never saw any black flecks on my white carpet.

I like the trainer for a couple of reasons

1) I have MY bike on it and it fits great.
2) I can use the trainer to fine tune my bike after doing some maintenance to it.
3) I can change bikes for a different riding style.
4) it packs away in a smaller area of than the spinner when it is riding season.

There is alway the other option of rollers for a more realistic experience
Old 09-23-11, 02:26 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I've ridden a trainer for years, and there have never been any little black tire flecks.

As for "I want the indoor bike always ready", you would, of course, have that with a trainer. Your trainer bicycle goes on your trainer. In my case, my trainer bicycle is a Giant OCR3.
Old 09-23-11, 08:17 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
there is another way.

i tried a trainer 2 winters ago to try to help keep me from fattening up too much over the winter and to keep my leg strength up. i'm not a competitive cyclist or anything, just a commuter/utility/recreational/lifestyle/car-free cyclist, so it's not like i was looking to stay in super tip-top riding shape, i just didn't want the leg muscles to atrophy too much from inactivity over the winter months.

long story short, i HATED the trainer. so. freaking. boring. i found spinning indoors on a stationary trainer to be one of the most mind-numbing activities i had ever engaged in. so the following winter, i decided to get some studded snow/ice tires, slapped them on an old mountain bike, and just rode throughout the winter. that was the right decision for me. riding into work on a chicago january morning may not exactly always be pleasant, but it's still trillions of times more fun for me than riding a bicycle indoors, going nowhere really fast. there's something about the wind in my face and the fact that i'm actually going somewhere that just make real cycling so much better for me.

of course, other riders love their trainers/spin classes/stationary bikes, but i just can't do it. i thrive on the stimulation of actually moving when i ride.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 09-23-11 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-23-11, 08:35 AM
itsthewoo

Bikes: Trek SU100, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
...i thrive on the stimulation of actually moving when i ride.
Same here. The only instance in which I would use a trainer is if I was watching a tv show or movie while doing so.
Old 09-23-11, 05:58 PM
SPiercey

Bikes: Trek PDX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to be able to ride during the winter but it would literally be suicide here. We often receive 20+cm of snow at a time, sidewalks are never cleared and thus a lot of drifts end up making the lanes smaller. That with 2-5 inches of slush, black ice, packed snow and 50-70(gusting)+km winds creating 0 visibility at times? No thanks. Also the amount of salt would probably rust through my new bike in 4 months. Winters here are too dangerous even for cars let alone bikes.

Just check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P9BtO25j3o

Those snow banks along the road seem high? They get about twice that height.
Old 09-24-11, 08:15 PM
Deademeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by itsthewoo
Same here. The only instance in which I would use a trainer is if I was watching a tv show or movie while doing so.
I spent the whole of last winter, one or two hours a day, on my trainer. I have a laptop plus internet TV (need loud speakers if you use a big fan like I do), and I found that my old specialized computer headset mount was actually an excellent kindle mount (just keep the text small so you change pages less often). Without these things I would have given up biking indoors within about 15 minutes due to boredom. With them I have found it incredibly easy - I'm just doing what i would normally be doing for an hour or two on the couch but with the feelgood factor of having gone for a ride as well. I'm actually looking forward to winter riding this year, and if I could figure out a way to play civilization 5 while on the bike I would probably make the next Olympics.

Dave
Old 09-24-11, 08:58 PM
gforeman 

Bikes: Specialized Crux Elite X1, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by itsthewoo
Which is what I do with my basement Gym. I have a big TV, and a DVR, so I always have something good to watch. Right now there is a Commercial grate Treadmill, Recumbent bike, Total Gym, and soon to be Waters Fitness Tsunami Elite Spin Bike. Bring it on Winter!

2019 Specialized Crux Elite X1
2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
My bike page: https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
Old 09-24-11, 11:36 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
when watching tv, try getting out of the saddle for the commercials. this will give you a few minutes of climbing.
Old 09-25-11, 12:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I usually try to sprint through the commercials ... I call them, "commerical intervals".
Old 09-25-11, 03:57 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Depends on the trainer, and the bike. If you can afford a commercial quality stationary bike with all the bells and whistles, power, HR etc, they are excellent. But the majority of cheap exercise bikes that are typically bought for domestic use are terrible.
Old 09-27-11, 05:10 AM
imec

Bikes: '08 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc; '12 Kona Jake (on it's way!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Similar story to Steely Dan for me - except I didn't wait for the following winter. Was never happier than when I got on my bike with the studs after a couple months of no riding and avoiding the trainer- and you have to go a long way to find a winter worse than where I live (Winnipeg).

Last edited by imec; 09-27-11 at 05:13 AM. Reason: too early in the morning to get it right