Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

No wonder I'm a clyde :-(

Old 06-20-12, 06:37 PM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
No wonder I'm a clyde :-(

In addition to having diabetes, I also suffer from depression. Usually my meds can keep me on an even keel, but there are times, even with my meds, I really struggle with the depression.

The past five days have been one of those times. I've been angry at the world, and especially my wife, for no apparent reason. A couple of drinking glasses "mysteriously" traveled across a room and broken against a wall. Somehow a steak knife found its way into our air mattress, and if I had a dog, I'm sure I would have kick him (or her) a time or two.

The other thing that happens is that I eat. Granted, I eat more than I should even on my best days, but when I "get moody" (as my wife calls it), the eating really gets out of hand. This past Saturday, for example I overdid it at a pizza buffet, and I mean waaaaaay over did it. Sunday, I had 26 chicken nuggets and an entire (big) bag of BBQ chips just for dinner (won't mention lunch). Monday was two extra large cheese and pepperoni pizzas. Yesterday was just snack after snack after snack all day long and today (well, at least earlier today), 17 White Castle "sliders" found their way into me (and yes, I'm already paying for that stupidity).

Anyway, now I feel as if I'm almost back to normal (normal for me anyways) and the guilt is just about killing me. Yeah, guilt for pretty much everything that has happened, but especially for the pigging out like a crazy man.

I've talked to my doc about this before, and he's offered up a couple of solutions, but I've been too bull-headed to follow through with them. Now I'm thinking that maybe now is a good time to listen to my doc and do what he says. Guess I'll call tomorrow and try to get in as soon as I can.

There's a thread here in the clyde forum entitled 'change your thinking/change your behavior." Maybe it's time I do both.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent a little bit. They say confession is good for soul (well, at least Superman did in Superman 1); I think "they" may be right. I do feel a little better. G'night all.
Old 06-20-12, 06:42 PM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
how often does the depression get the upper hand?

I am sorry this all happened. I can relate to the eating though.
Old 06-20-12, 11:23 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
May I ask how you eat 2 entire extra large pizzas? Two slices for me hits the spot. Three makes me uneasy and groggy. Four makes me want to throw up for the next several hours.

It just seems to me physically impossible, or extremely physically uncomfortable; either way you seem to be punishing yourself. A word of caution; stop throwing things. It never serves a useful purpose, and can land you in jail if the wrong neighbor hears it and phones the 5-0; or if a household member feels threatened and calls them themselves.
Old 06-21-12, 03:30 AM
billyymc

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
IRR - no disrespect, but go back to your doctor and get into some therapy/counseling. Adjusting your meds, and being in the therapy might help you avoid the swings. Don't be bullheaded, just do it. What have you got to lose? Nada. And you stand to gain a lot if it works...being happier and at peace is priceless. Do it today.
Old 06-21-12, 04:03 AM
Street Pedaler

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 (RIP), 2013 Trek Domane 5.9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a very close friend who's husband was severely Bi-Polar. I say "was" because he blew his brains out this past Christmas Eve. Had my friend been home, he most certainly would have taken her with him. He had a gun and two bullets. One of the bullets was in his brain, the other was on the coffee table with her name literally written on it. It was a tragedy that could have been avoided which makes it an even greater tragedy. He had meds that kept him "in Balance" and he refused to take them. He became extremely volatile and violent and now he's dead and she's a widow who's blaming herself because she "should have done something".

Indiana, I'm not going to butter nut you. Do what you're doctor suggests. What you're being is not "Bull Headed" what your being is selfish. You're not the only one suffering through this thing. Your family is suffering, too. Knowing that you have a situation that needs to be dealt with and refusing to deal with it is inexcusable. And you're too valuable as a human being for that. Fight the fight.
Old 06-21-12, 04:12 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I was younger, my moms boss suffered from depression. His name was Gary. Gary was a wonderful guy who taught me so much and taught me how to tie a tie. I have missed him a lot, still, though it was about 15 years ago.
Old 06-21-12, 05:18 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
All I'm going to say is that you have thrown up some real red flags. Get to your doctor and tell him/her EVERYTHING, don't sugar coat it. If you ever feel that you are in danger of harming yourself or anyone else, please, please call 911. Good luck and I hope you get the help you need.
Old 06-21-12, 07:06 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider
I've talked to my doc about this before, and he's offered up a couple of solutions, but I've been too bull-headed to follow through with them. Now I'm thinking that maybe now is a good time to listen to my doc and do what he says. Guess I'll call tomorrow and try to get in as soon as I can.

There's a thread here in the clyde forum entitled 'change your thinking/change your behavior." Maybe it's time I do both.
Admitting you need help is the first step. Good for you. Going to see the doc is a great idea. What time today is your appointment?
Old 06-21-12, 08:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
All I'm going to say is that you have thrown up some real red flags. Get to your doctor and tell him/her EVERYTHING, don't sugar coat it. If you ever feel that you are in danger of harming yourself or anyone else, please, please call 911. Good luck and I hope you get the help you need.
+1. No one will win if the steak knife "finds it's way" into your wife. This is a cry for help that should be made to a professional, not strangers on the Internet.
Old 06-21-12, 09:34 AM
grueling
old and in the way

Bikes: Niner RLT, Niner rigid MTB, Salsa Beargrease, Rocky Mountain Element

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too have suffered with depression for years. Get to a GOOD psychiatrist. They are the experts on getting your meds "dialed in". It can make a huge difference. Follow all of their advice.
Old 06-21-12, 09:35 AM
rearviewbeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1. No one will win if the steak knife "finds it's way" into your wife. This is a cry for help that should be made to a professional, not strangers on the Internet.
+2 - had a friend off himself last summer because of depression, came on fast and hard in his case. Left a wife and 3 kids, not something to be taken lightly.

I am sorry you are dealing with this stuff, it is really hard. It seems thought that you are headed in the right direction of seeing a need for help. Please take the next steps in getting the help you need and deserve.
Old 06-21-12, 10:13 AM
Just_Nigel

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale M300, Giant Iguana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can’t really add much more to what’s already been said but I understand you wanting to vent. Sorry you’re having these problems.

On a soapbox for a bit…

I’m a diabetic too and I ignored it for the last 3 years. April of this year my fasting numbers were in the 370’s. I started to really research the disease and it scared the hell out of me.

That’s all it took. I made a choice to change, got back on my bike, hit the gym, and changed my eating and drinking habits. I’m not the paradigm of good behavior but I am in charge of me. I WILL fall off the wagon occasionally but that is still my choice.

Since April, I’ve got my fasting numbers in the upper 90’sand post meals are <120. Visited my doctor for something else last week andI told him I stopped taking the metformin…. He told me I should accept my condition since I won’t be able to beat this and won’t be able to lower my A1C… So now I’m even more motivated and he will be eating some major crow next month.

I don’t know you or your condition and I understand that depression can be a chronic condition that needs treatment… and your post may have been just the result of a bad day but… I think you should take charge… I read another post of yours and you basically said that you accept that you’re overweight and that you’re ok with that…I wonder if that is true.

I’ve had issues with depression as well but I will say thatsince I’ve taken control of my life and taken actions to get healthy, I feel great, haven’t been depressed as much (it’s gonna happen sometimes) and feel great about my odds.
Soapbox mode off…

Sorry, that took longer than I expected…

Last edited by Just_Nigel; 06-21-12 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-21-12, 10:44 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Overeating from depression is common. I do the same thing, and have been gaining weight again.

In addition to seeing your doctor, try riding more. You may find it to help your mood a bit.
Old 06-21-12, 11:59 AM
Cyclist0084

Originally Posted by chefisaac
how often does the depression get the upper hand?

I am sorry this all happened. I can relate to the eating though.
Thankfully, no more than 2 or 3 times a year. Haven't had an episode this bad in quite a while. Usually my "deep depression" is a watered down version of what I described.
Old 06-21-12, 12:04 PM
Cyclist0084

Originally Posted by Mithrandir
May I ask how you eat 2 entire extra large pizzas? Two slices for me hits the spot. Three makes me uneasy and groggy. Four makes me want to throw up for the next several hours.

It just seems to me physically impossible, or extremely physically uncomfortable;
either way you seem to be punishing yourself. A word of caution; stop throwing things. It never serves a useful purpose, and can land you in jail if the wrong neighbor hears it and phones the 5-0; or if a household member feels threatened and calls them themselves.
The two of them were not eaten all in one setting. That would be just about physically impossible. The first one was eaten pretty much all at once; gobbled down in a mad rush of hunger and desperation. Only a couple slices from the second pizza was eaten along with the first pizza. Stuck the rest in the fridge for about 90 minutes or so, then attacked the rest of it. Yes, I'll admit that I was uncomfortable after finishing off the second pizza, but with the state of mind I was in at the time, I really didn't let it worry me too much.
Old 06-21-12, 12:04 PM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It just seems to me physically impossible, or extremely physically uncomfortable; either way you seem to be punishing yourself. A word of caution; stop throwing things. It never serves a useful purpose, and can land you in jail if the wrong neighbor hears it and phones the 5-0; or if a household member feels threatened and calls them themselves.

I am able even at my new reduced 218 lbs to easily eat a large pizza by myself. I wouldnt even miss a beat. Now I would be full and uncomfortable, but I could do it easy.

Not saying I have done this in a very long time, but I know without a doubt I could pull it off still.
Old 06-21-12, 12:09 PM
Chaco

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indiana, I highly recommend this site: https://bloodsugar101.com/. Also, I recommend Jenny Ruhl's book, Blood Sugar 101. It's a common misperception that people with blood sugar problems get their diabetes from overeating, when in fact their problems metabolizing glucose contribute to their overweight.

Let's face it, since Earl Butz changed the US Government's attitudes towards grains, especially corn, and all their sugar-laden byproducts, most people have jumped on the high carb, low fat (HCLF) bandwagon. This is fine for people without blood sugar problems, but a disaster for those with them. Most docs are also recommending the same diet to everyone, and add statins to the mix to mitigate non-existent cholesterol "problems."

Since you're a diabetic, you're probably already used to testing yourself. The whole approach used by Ruhl is to measure your blood 1 hour and 2 hours after your favorite meals, and develop a diet that is customized to YOU, based on avoiding the foods that cause your blood sugar to spike beyond 140. For some people, that means a ketogenic diet; others can handle 100 gm. or even 125 gm. of carbs per day. The most important thing is to avoid the really high spikes, i.e., anything above 140. That's when the damage occurs.

It would have been interesting to measure your blood sugar after that pizza, chicken nuggets, and chips dinner. I bet it was in the 160 to 180 range. It's no wonder you got depressed after that -- not because you screwed up, but because your body's inability to process all that sugar wreaked havoc with your sugar levels, causing you to be depressed and yes, ravenous for even more sugar.

Too often, people with blood sugar problems think it's just a matter of their "attitude," when in fact they have no clue what's happening to their metabolism because of their out of control blood sugar levels. Insofar as it is "attitude" it's a matter of doing some research and discovering what you can and can't eat in order to keep your sugar under control -- and that's a matter of understanding the mechanisms of glucose metabolism and then testing, testing, testing -- until you come up with a way of eating you can stick with the rest of your life.
Old 06-21-12, 12:09 PM
Cyclist0084

Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Admitting you need help is the first step. Good for you. Going to see the doc is a great idea. What time today is your appointment?
Actually, it's not until tomorrow. Since I no longer felt like I was a danger to myself or others, I didn't feel the need to get in "right away." Told the receptionist that tomorrow would be fine.
Old 06-21-12, 12:14 PM
Cyclist0084

Originally Posted by Just_Nigel
Can’t really add much more to what’s already been said but I understand you wanting to vent. Sorry you’re having these problems.

On a soapbox for a bit…

I’m a diabetic too and I ignored it for the last 3 years. April of this year my fasting numbers were in the 370’s. I started to really research the disease and it scared the hell out of me.

That’s all it took. I made a choice to change, got back on my bike, hit the gym, and changed my eating and drinking habits. I’m not the paradigm of good behavior but I am in charge of me. I WILL fall off the wagon occasionally but that is still my choice.

Since April, I’ve got my fasting numbers in the upper 90’sand post meals are <120. Visited my doctor for something else last week andI told him I stopped taking the metformin…. He told me I should accept my condition since I won’t be able to beat this and won’t be able to lower my A1C… So now I’m even more motivated and he will be eating some major crow next month.

I don’t know you or your condition and I understand that depression can be a chronic condition that needs treatment… and your post may have been just the result of a bad day but… I think you should take charge… I read another post of yours and you basically said that you accept that you’re overweight and that you’re ok with that…I wonder if that is true.

I’ve had issues with depression as well but I will say thatsince I’ve taken control of my life and taken actions to get healthy, I feel great, haven’t been depressed as much (it’s gonna happen sometimes) and feel great about my odds.
Soapbox mode off…

Sorry, that took longer than I expected…
Thanks for the encouraging post. Congrats with your taking charge. Hopefully, after talking with my doc tomorrow, I'll be more in a take charge frame of mind as well.
Old 06-21-12, 10:03 PM
Mr Sinister
Am I evil? I am Man!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Its so easy for some of us. I used to eat a sheet of pizza, and that is about the size of 2 large pizzas, bread sticks and wash it down with a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew. This would be done all while playing video games (about 2 hours). Now I can't let myself near a pizza, or else I will eat it all by myself. Pepperoni was and is my favorite pizza. But some of us find comfort in things others look at and say/JUDGE "OMG I can't believe he's eating all that". ( I am not saying you were judging)

When I ate like that it was because I felt empty inside and needed something to take my mind off of what I was feeling, and to try and fill that void. No matter how much I ate it was always empty. As of now biking helps me from feeling empty, as it takes my mind off of things.
Old 06-21-12, 10:04 PM
Mr Sinister
Am I evil? I am Man!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IndianaRecRider I wish you the best. Get all the help you need, and take all the time you need. Just get yourself to where you feel better. But when you feel better, don't stop, just keep going.
Old 06-22-12, 06:05 AM
BARKEATR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Sinister
IndianaRecRider I wish you the best. Get all the help you need, and take all the time you need. Just get yourself to where you feel better. But when you feel better, don't stop, just keep going.
very helpful responses sinister vs " I cant believe you ate that much" responses. If they guy is telling you he ate that much then he ate that much. Its not something a person is going to brag about and make up a story about. If you are lucky enough not to have that eating inclination ( I do) then show some respect at least.
Old 06-23-12, 07:07 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Blood sugar and chemical imbalances can best be judged by professionals with your cooperation . Good luck with the Doctor . They have things now that work with your meds to make you feel more in control on the downswings, and even out the rough spots.
Old 06-23-12, 07:08 AM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please keep us updated.
Old 06-23-12, 07:39 PM
Cyclist0084

Just as a quick follow-up, I did go to see my doctor yesterday and filled him in on all that went on earlier in the week. He made a couple of adjustments to my meds; strengthening the dose of one and easing up a little on the other. We're going to do some counseling to see if we can get to the bottom of my eating problem, and he's also arranged for me to start meeting with a dietician once every other week, at no cost to me.

So, hopefully this well keep me on that even keel I need to be on, and hopefully also help ease some of the fears my wife has concerning me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.