Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

225 lbs and the weight won't go away

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-13, 09:59 AM
Highlander1

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just came back from Fred Meyer with my test results. I am 65 years old. They have a machine to test there.
Blood Pressure 132/93 Hg Pulse 81
Weight 224.2 lbs
BMI 32.2
Body Fat 21.7%
Hydration Index -2.06

So my BMI is horrible but actual body fat at 21.7% doesn't make it easy to get under 200 lbs. I would be around 10 to 12% Fat. That is really hard to do at my age. If I had 25 lbs less to carry I could bike like a rocket though. I will have to become anorexic to get there. Longest day ride this year only 100 miles. Last year at 212 lbs longest day ride was 200 miles.
Old 08-23-13, 11:12 AM
rteesdale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Highlander1
So my BMI is horrible but actual body fat at 21.7% doesn't make it easy to get under 200 lbs. I would be around 10 to 12% Fat. That is really hard to do at my age. If I had 25 lbs less to carry I could bike like a rocket though. I will have to become anorexic to get there. Longest day ride this year only 100 miles. Last year at 212 lbs longest day ride was 200 miles.
Have you discussed diet options with your doctor or some other (knowledgeable) person? By "diet" I mean specifically trying to zero in on "hidden" (sugar) contributors to body fat %. It may shave off a bit.
Old 08-23-13, 12:55 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
As a corollary, find one of those online food trackers (there are plenty of good ones that are free) and ID just how much you're eating & what it is you're eating.
Old 08-23-13, 01:08 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I just came back from Fred Meyer with my test results. I am 65 years old. They have a machine to test there.
Blood Pressure 132/93 Hg Pulse 81 Weight 224.2 lbs BMI 32.2 Body Fat 21.7% Hydration Index -2.06

How tall are you.

6ft here , 223 lbs,started riding when 65 y/o....11,200 mi first year, 15,923 2nd yr.

Dropped to 188 lbs.

now 71 y/o and 215 lbs

Old 08-23-13, 04:04 PM
drorgo

Bikes: Recherché, Surly Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blood Pressure 132/93 Hg Pulse 81
Weight 224.2 lbs
BMI 32.2
Body Fat 21.7%
Hydration Index -2.06

How did you come up with the 21.7% body fat number? What is your waist (around belly button) and height measurements?
Old 08-26-13, 02:36 PM
Highlander1

Bikes: too many to list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Electronic measurements

Originally Posted by drorgo
How did you come up with the 21.7% body fat number? What is your waist (around belly button) and height measurements?
The electronic measurements take all factors into consideration, do you think Arnold Schwarzeneggar and John Goodman would have the same body fat at the same weight and height and age? Was Sylvester Stalone obese when he made Rocky? That is why BMI is a joke.
Old 08-26-13, 03:30 PM
drorgo

Bikes: Recherché, Surly Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The electronic measurements take all factors into consideration, do you think Arnold Schwarzeneggar and John Goodman would have the same body fat at the same weight and height and age? Was Sylvester Stalone obese when he made Rocky? That is why BMI is a joke.
The percent body fat number from those machines is also a joke. Arnold has a much smaller waist than John Goodman, that is why asked you what your waist (around belly button, not necessarily pants size) and height were.
Old 08-26-13, 08:51 PM
kris7047th

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact, .. Novara 2013 Madrona 29'er, Trek 520 2012, Surly Pugsley fatbike 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a woman just a few years younger than you and have been on a diet and exercising the past three months. Losing weight at our age isn't enough as the body parts & *muscles* go south/gets soft as we get older. I have changed my diet and took up biking and I feel great .. lost 20 lbs @ 126 lbs currently with just 5-6 more to go. I am 5'5".

I don't pay attention to what machines and calculators tell me what I should be at. What matters to me is the weight that I KNOW I feel the best at and that becomes my target weight to work to.

Last edited by kris7047th; 08-26-13 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-26-13, 09:20 PM
JackoDandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me get this straight, your 225lbs and you are complaining that your longest ride this year was 'only' 100 miles?

I guess the grass always seems greener in the other guys yard but I'd say a 100 mile ride is pretty darn good. Probably much further than 70% of the clydes reading here
Old 08-27-13, 10:34 PM
Mr Sinister
Am I evil? I am Man!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 100 mile ride... I personally have never done one. My longest ride is 91 miles. Now I want to get a 100 mile ride done before the years end. I also weigh about 10 pounds less and am about 19 years younger.
Old 08-28-13, 03:53 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
I am finding out more and more about whats REALLY in our food and how it affects our bodies. I am NOT a "foodie" but much of my adult life has been in chemical research. I try NOT to ingest anyhting I work with, but have been finding out that I voluntarily ingest things I really shouldnt.

Many will tell you not to eat wheat products. I thought it was just a carbohydrate thing. I overlooked the fact that most of our wheat is genetically modified so it wont be killed by roundup herbicide. Blah blah blah, GMO...! Wait a minute! Its modified to be roundup resistant?! Soooo that means its being doused with roundup anyway, and since the plant LIVES we are eating roundup??!! When the plant dies it degrades and doesnt persist in the soil, but if the plant lives, it ends up in our bodies. Eeeek! There is more than that if you go looking. Look for better QUALITY food, and you will lose that weight. I think anyone that eats moderately and is active will stay a healthy weight easily.

Thats my theory. Now its time for ME to put it in practice. (This really is all new information to me!)

-SP
Old 08-28-13, 05:23 AM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
225, 5'11" and 22% body fat? That a lot of muscles!
Old 08-28-13, 05:56 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
As a corollary, find one of those online food trackers (there are plenty of good ones that are free) and ID just how much you're eating & what it is you're eating.
+1 on this. I dropped 150 lbs by simply setting reasonable goals and logging my foods and workouts. FWIW, Map My Ride has built in food logging, so it's a pretty easy way to track both calories burned and calories consumed.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 08-28-13, 10:36 PM
ChargerDawg

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I had my one wish, I would create a better BMI calculator that would be a better measure of a persons level of fitness.

I can do it, it would just take about 10K volunteers.
Old 08-29-13, 01:53 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
BMI is not meant to have anything to do with fitness.
Old 08-29-13, 01:43 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I just started with MyFitnessPal (just started a thread on it), and so far it seems to be working well for me.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-29-13, 01:47 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Originally Posted by Rowan
BMI is not meant to have anything to do with fitness.
Yes it does. There is a pretty decent correlation between fitness and BMI. It's not a 100% indicator and can be corrupted by build (musculature, etc.), but for someone with a non-athletic build, it's not bad.

Old 08-29-13, 01:48 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Originally Posted by bbbean
+1 on this. I dropped 150 lbs by simply setting reasonable goals and logging my foods and workouts. FWIW, Map My Ride has built in food logging, so it's a pretty easy way to track both calories burned and calories consumed.
I noticed that. How good is the food data?

Old 08-29-13, 01:58 PM
KBentley57

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Not as good as MFP's. I particularly like the bar code scanner functionality of MFP. It takes the work out of logging food when you can just point your phone at the bar code and scan. Saved meals are a bonus time saver too. I used to use it 3 times a day, every day for a year or two. I've also just noticed, my MFP ticker in my sig doesn't look like yours.
Old 08-29-13, 02:19 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

They're customizable.

Old 08-29-13, 02:42 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by KBentley57
Not as good as MFP's. I particularly like the bar code scanner functionality of MFP. It takes the work out of logging food when you can just point your phone at the bar code and scan. Saved meals are a bonus time saver too. I used to use it 3 times a day, every day for a year or two. I've also just noticed, my MFP ticker in my sig doesn't look like yours.
You have to pay for the yellow jersey to get the images in your signature block.
Old 08-29-13, 03:22 PM
Mr. Markets
Who has a good sense of humor for going along with my little April Fool Gag (The Admin)

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
I am finding out more and more about whats REALLY in our food and how it affects our bodies. I am NOT a "foodie" but much of my adult life has been in chemical research. I try NOT to ingest anyhting I work with, but have been finding out that I voluntarily ingest things I really shouldnt.

Many will tell you not to eat wheat products. I thought it was just a carbohydrate thing. I overlooked the fact that most of our wheat is genetically modified so it wont be killed by roundup herbicide. Blah blah blah, GMO...! Wait a minute! Its modified to be roundup resistant?! Soooo that means its being doused with roundup anyway, and since the plant LIVES we are eating roundup??!! When the plant dies it degrades and doesnt persist in the soil, but if the plant lives, it ends up in our bodies. Eeeek! There is more than that if you go looking. Look for better QUALITY food, and you will lose that weight. I think anyone that eats moderately and is active will stay a healthy weight easily.

Thats my theory. Now its time for ME to put it in practice. (This really is all new information to me!)

-SP
Sorry, wrong, in the US we do not grow GMO wheat unless it is illegal. We do grow GMO corn, sorghum, potatos, sugar beets and who knows what else, but no wheat.
Old 08-29-13, 08:12 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25

-SP
with respect to Roundup...
and your corn along with corn based products (tortilla's, taco shells, etc.) along with soybeans and it's products. Spray the heck out of them.
Old 08-29-13, 08:16 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Yes it does. There is a pretty decent correlation between fitness and BMI. It's not a 100% indicator and can be corrupted by build (musculature, etc.), but for someone with a non-athletic build, it's not bad.
Then we get into the debate of a 'non-athletic build'
According to BMI calculators I am overweight at 18% body fat
Old 08-30-13, 01:46 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
I'm not sure. I had a year and a half's records already in carbs conteol when I started using MMR, so I'm still using two apps. But I have to assume that it's close enough to be useable. When I spot checked it, it was certainly in the neighborhood.

Truth be told, there's always guesswork involved, and apps like MFP that rely in part on user data have their own variability to take into account. But faulty data is better than no data in this case. You just have to develop an eye for numbers that seem out of whack with reality.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.