Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Fell

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-13, 01:31 PM
IAMAMRA
Big Boned Biker

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fell

So I fell twice today thanks to my new spd shoes, both times in front of people(I am sure they enjoyed the sight of a near 300 pound man flailing to the ground). Overall the bike seems ok, it fell once on each side. Anything I should double check specifically?

Thanks

Micah
Old 09-02-13, 01:44 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Fell

Rear derailleur often gets out of position on drive side falls. Check front one too.
Old 09-02-13, 01:55 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
yah always cheaper to fall on the non drive side
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 09-02-13, 02:03 PM
mprelaw

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsigone
yah always cheaper to fall on the non drive side
One reason why I always unclip my right foot at stops.
Old 09-02-13, 02:12 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
make sure and i mean SURE that you can't shift into the spokes in low-low gear (push on the shifter when you're already in low gear to test that). The rear derailleur hangar is also delicate (also easily replaceable, which is nice).

Check your handlebars to make sure they're still lined up and that your shifters are straignt and still work. Other than that, bikes are reasonably sturdy beasts.
Old 09-02-13, 02:17 PM
IAMAMRA
Big Boned Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried to get my feet out but it wouldn't let go...lol
Old 09-02-13, 03:06 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One of those hazards that most of us face. Some more often than others.
It hurts worse when people see it happen.
Good Luck.
Old 09-02-13, 03:37 PM
20_700c

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IAMAMRA
I tried to get my feet out but it wouldn't let go...lol
Loosen the tension adjustment screw on the pedals until you're really comfortable clipping in and out quickly. Tighten it only when you're super confident... at least that is what worked for me. YMMV
Old 09-02-13, 04:36 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
As PhotoJoanne was getting used to her SPD's again after 20+ years, every time we'd approach a stop I'd call out "Heal out". She never fell, but acknowledged that there were times she had forgotten.
Old 09-02-13, 05:33 PM
Mr Sinister
Am I evil? I am Man!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first started riding with SPD pedals and shoes, someone here told me something to do when you fall, LAUGH. This was something I did as it kept people from asking the question "Are You All right". I mean come on this has happened to us all, and it is kind of an OMG I can not believe that just happened moment, so might as well own it.
Old 09-02-13, 05:38 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 20_700c
Loosen the tension adjustment screw on the pedals until you're really comfortable clipping in and out quickly. Tighten it only when you're super confident... at least that is what worked for me. YMMV
This also worked for me, that and you may try only putting one cleat on at a time, get used to clipping and unclipping with that foot and either just add the other side or pull the cleat off the one and put on the other so that you can work with it too. I just did one side, got used to how to do it and added the second.

Also, are you using genuine SPD pedals by Shimano? I got two pair of generic pedals from a big online bike store and they hung up terribly on me, they just wouldn't let go. I ordered a third pair, this time genuine Shimano SPDs, the difference is amazing. They just unclip a lot easier.

There are also Shimano SH-56 cleats which unclip a lot easier. They may not work on non Shimano pedals.

Oh, and more than likely you WILL fall again, it's just part of biking with attachable pedals
Old 09-02-13, 06:09 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
O.k what am I missing by not having my shoes stuck to the pedals? I understand racers wanting every advantage but we are for the most part fat folks trying to get in shape. Is it somehow safer, easier, or what? I don't get it. I also don't fall off my bike when I stop cause I can't put my foot down. Please understand I am not bashing anyone who uses them I just don't understand needing the complication. Of course I also have a kickstand but at least my bike didn't come from Walmart. Let me have it if I deserve it but at least tell me why!
Old 09-02-13, 06:46 PM
drorgo

Bikes: Recherché, Surly Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
O.k what am I missing by not having my shoes stuck to the pedals? I understand racers wanting every advantage but we are for the most part fat folks trying to get in shape. Is it somehow safer, easier, or what? I don't get it. I also don't fall off my bike when I stop cause I can't put my foot down. Please understand I am not bashing anyone who uses them I just don't understand needing the complication. Of course I also have a kickstand but at least my bike didn't come from Walmart. Let me have it if I deserve it but at least tell me why!
Where they can help is at higher cadence and also rough roads where your feet can have a tendency to slip off of the peddle. After a while it become second nature to clip out when you come to a stop but as with anything that is second nature it takes time and repetition to get there. Everyone has fallen at least once ( I am sure someone will say they have not) when they first started using clipless peddles.

Bob W
Old 09-02-13, 06:47 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With your foot attached to the pedal it is less likely to slip off. If you learn to pedal in a circle you find yourself pushing your foot forward at the top and pulling back at the bottom and up on the upstroke. All this adds to the push down of the other foot most of are used to doing. This allows you to activate more muscles.

I feel once your feet are attached to the pedals you biking moves to a new level.

That being said if you ride slow and pedal slow you might not see a benefit. I find the most benefit when I'm pushing myself. It doesn't have to be an all out going fast but certainly more than that gentle pedaling I often see people do. There is a learning curve and people have their favorite style of pedals.

Last edited by dbikingman; 09-02-13 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 09-02-13, 07:01 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
In addition to the points made by others, which is absolutely true, biking shoes are stiffer than tennis shoes or running shoes, which helps translate force from the leg into force on the pedal without energy getting lost in the foot, and shoe flexing. I started with SPD doing indoor spinning classes. On sale, basic cycling shoes cost about what a pair of decent training shoes cost and I still use the same pair of cycling shoes after 7 years, though I just bought a new pair last week.
Old 09-02-13, 07:09 PM
Solare

Bikes: raleigh venture 4.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mr Sinister, thanks for the Rules. I will try my best to abide by them.
Old 09-02-13, 07:20 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
See I knew there was a reason! I guess if I was at the level they would help me much I would have figured it out. Right now I am wearing a pretty stiff pair of shoes and the tread seems to really stick to the pedals so I haven't had a problem with them slipping even on rough roads. I also haven't rode in the rain. Thanks for helping us new folks!

I think I am going to wait until awhile, Right now I can see me looking like the dirty old man falling off his tricycle on Laugh In! That wouldn't be a pretty sight!!

Last edited by TXsailor; 09-02-13 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Wasn't done
Old 09-02-13, 07:24 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
O.k what am I missing by not having my shoes stuck to the pedals?
You can get a slightly higher efficiency as well, not 100% or even 50% more maybe 10-20% as you can pull UP on the pedal as well as push down. Enough that you can share the load with another muscle group and keep your quads from being used quite as much. Going uphill is a lot easier too.

Your feet are also placed at the optimal positions and not sliding back and forth. I have a bit of neuropathy in my feet and it is difficult for me to tell where they are at on the pedal, I was finding myself pushing with my toes or even my heels. Before SPDs I more than once had my foot slip off the pedal over a rough patches, once I was standing and my foot slipped off the FRONT of the pedal, jammed into the ground and my pedal crushed into my calf - not a fun ride
Old 09-03-13, 04:45 AM
Jimbosays
Let's Ride!

Bikes: Giant Suede (Comfort cruiser - "The Rocking Chair"); Giant Escape 2 (700mm Hybrid - "The S.U.V."); Specialized Secteur Elite (Road Bike - "The Scooter"); Surly Troll (Touring Bike - "Load Up & Go Anywhere")

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
O.k what am I missing by not having my shoes stuck to the pedals?
Thanks for asking . . . Other inquiring minds had wondered the same!

NOW . . . Where does one find a WIDE (4E) bike shoe?
Old 09-03-13, 06:57 AM
IAMAMRA
Big Boned Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going to try adjusting the tension and see if that helps. Thanks!
Old 09-03-13, 07:11 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
So I fell twice today thanks to my new spd shoes, both times in front of people(I am sure they enjoyed the sight of a near 300 pound man flailing to the ground). Overall the bike seems ok, it fell once on each side. Anything I should double check specifically?

Thanks

Micah
I feel your pain, I fell yesterday. I'm fairly new to the shoes but have gotten to the point where only the most sudden of needs causes me to fall over. Yesterday when I fell my seat went out of alignment. Check that.
Old 09-03-13, 07:13 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRT2
I started with SPD doing indoor spinning classes.
Did the same thing, but not in a class, just on my indoor trainer over the winter.
Old 09-03-13, 07:14 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Going to try adjusting the tension and see if that helps. Thanks!
You can take comfort in the fact that MOST of us have fallen learning to use them
Old 09-03-13, 07:15 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Sinister
When I first started riding with SPD pedals and shoes, someone here told me something to do when you fall, LAUGH. This was something I did as it kept people from asking the question "Are You All right". I mean come on this has happened to us all, and it is kind of an OMG I can not believe that just happened moment, so might as well own it.

The laughter may also be a sign of brain damage.
Old 09-03-13, 07:21 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Sinister
Good approach. If you can roll as you hit and come up you can do a "Ta-da!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.