Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

2014 Goals

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 02:20 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
I have training peaks premium because it allows me to plan meals in advance. I use it mostly for diet planing, but use it as opposed to the others because it lets you enter actual workouts from the Gramin. Others like "MyFitnesPal", have check boxes like "15 minutes moderate cycling", that can be way off. I do not use a power meter, though have considered getting a CyclOps hub. I use a HRM which does a pretty good job of estimating calories burned.
FWIW with MyFitnessPal and using a Garmin 510 bundle I use the checkbox for my exercise then edit the time and copy the Calories from what Garmin Connect says I burned. I also round up with my estimates for food consumption whenever I do not know an exact quantity. So far this is working for me and I am once again slowly losing weight.

I am a firm believer in SMART goals. This year I am shooting for 6000 miles to include one double century with an average moving speed of 17mph (STP) plus three imperial centuries. An unspecified number of metric centuries. I'll be bicycle commuting and going on longer rides on the weekends and several weekdays. By Thanksgiving I plan to be 200 pounds or less. If I lose a pound a week I'll be there. As of this writing I am at 770.6 miles, trainer miles included since I have speed/cadence. Last year i was at 5,090 miles with only some trainer miles counted.
Old 02-27-14, 02:41 PM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRT2
I hung out with Cream City Cycling Club a bit last year. Nice people. The hammers in the groups were too fast for me, but I managed to hang on OK with the back of the group in the rides I did with them. You might be able to hang with the faster riders.

I tried to ride with Bay View Club but somehow, they blew through the meet up spot and stranded 3 of us waiting in Port Washington. To be fair, it was a busy day and a lot of people were hanging around the Harbor area, so it was just one of those things. That was the day I did 60 miles solo.
I'm leaning toward BVBC at this point, because I could ride my bike to the meetings
Old 02-27-14, 02:42 PM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
FWIW with MyFitnessPal and using a Garmin 510 bundle I use the checkbox for my exercise then edit the time and copy the Calories from what Garmin Connect says I burned. I also round up with my estimates for food consumption whenever I do not know an exact quantity. So far this is working for me and I am once again slowly losing weight.

I am a firm believer in SMART goals. This year I am shooting for 6000 miles to include one double century with an average moving speed of 17mph (STP) plus three imperial centuries. An unspecified number of metric centuries. I'll be bicycle commuting and going on longer rides on the weekends and several weekdays. By Thanksgiving I plan to be 200 pounds or less. If I lose a pound a week I'll be there. As of this writing I am at 770.6 miles, trainer miles included since I have speed/cadence. Last year i was at 5,090 miles with only some trainer miles counted.
I do the same with MFP when I'm logging my strength/cardio workouts based on my Polar HRM
Old 02-27-14, 02:45 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I generally just half what Endomondo tells me as far as calories burned. I find that gets me close enough. So many variables go into it that I could also find some old Dungeons & Dragons dice and throw those.
Old 02-27-14, 03:29 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Most calorie guessers wildly over state things. HR improves it but a power meter will tell you what your real output was (and then, knowing the efficiency of teh human body, you can get pretty close)

I do the same thing with MFP - I put it in and then enter my own results. I also try not to eat back whatever I exercise off.
Old 02-27-14, 03:33 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Most calorie guessers wildly over state things. HR improves it but a power meter will tell you what your real output was (and then, knowing the efficiency of teh human body, you can get pretty close)

I do the same thing with MFP - I put it in and then enter my own results. I also try not to eat back whatever I exercise off.
I am similar yet I try to make sure that I am getting ENOUGH. Based on my fitness I know if I have recovered enough the next day according to how I feel. I don't have a team of trainers so we should all listen to ourselves (and not LIE to ourselves) and be willing to go outside what the numbers say.
Old 02-27-14, 06:24 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I rode a total of 1220.7 miles last year. This year I hope to at least DOUBLE that.
Also, my longest ride to date is 51 miles, and I hope to double that at least once this year as well.

I've got a 100 mile route mapped out, a round trip to a brewery/museum. I've been itching to take the tour after hearing people rave about it, so 2014 looks like a good year to cross that off my list
Old 03-01-14, 06:05 PM
Weatherby

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014:

No more beer, scotch or cigars or lousy food (cheap grains soaked in cheap oil).

Drop from 246# and 36% body fat to a leanish 180-185# by July 14.

Ride for the first time in over 15 years.

Complete the whole Super Randonneur Series by end of June.

Complete a very painful 200K by April 13.

Maintain a Paleo diet.

Do Perth Albany Perth in the Fall. (probably a stretch goal)

Gotta think big.

PBP 2015
Old 03-01-14, 07:28 PM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Goal of losing my Clyde status by year end. Floating between 230 and 240 right now.

Plus 40 years old now and all hell has broken lose. Thyroid problem was discovered this summer and either a bad left hip or pinched nerve in lower left back causing numb toes.

Other than that things are fantastic....
Old 03-01-14, 08:03 PM
Mr Sinister
Am I evil? I am Man!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are some nice goals from everyone. Like most if not all one of my own goals is to get under 200 LBS. My other goals are mostly distance. I want to do these rides in order... metric century, imperial century, double metric, and a double imperial. I still have yet to do an imperial century, but was only less than 9 miles short of one last year (darkness stopped me). So I know that and the double metric can be reached. All of these have to be done in 1 day each or else it doesn't count. I can rest during the ride, but have to finish the day I started.

With the weight I was a little upset with myself this year as my starting weight in Feb. was 239 LBs. This is almost a 30 pound gain from where I left off in November. But after about 1 month I am down to 217 LBs. No major diet or change in my eating habits. I just say most of that weight was caused by getting pneumonia and then an intestinal virus. I think not being able to do anything for over a month and a half helped the weight gain. Now I want to be below 205 by March 30th as that is the start of my club rides. I have also started so interval training on the stationary trainer.
Old 03-02-14, 06:02 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by MikeRides
I rode a total of 1220.7 miles last year. This year I hope to at least DOUBLE that.
Also, my longest ride to date is 51 miles, and I hope to double that at least once this year as well.

I've got a 100 mile route mapped out, a round trip to a brewery/museum. I've been itching to take the tour after hearing people rave about it, so 2014 looks like a good year to cross that off my list
Doing the route would be fun. Is that over a few days?
Old 03-03-14, 07:12 PM
MikeRides

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
Doing the route would be fun. Is that over a few days?
Actually it would be a day trip, as it's only 100 miles(50 miles there, 50 miles back). After all the my goal for this year is to ride 100 miles in one day (or a imperial century). I've got a couple fellow riders interested in riding along, so I should actually make it happen this year.

Last edited by MikeRides; 03-03-14 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-03-14, 08:32 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by MikeRides
Actually it would be a day trip, as it's only 100 miles(50 miles there, 50 miles back). After all the my goal for this year is to ride 100 miles in one day (or a imperial century). I've got a couple fellow riders interested in riding along, so I should actually make it happen this year.
Ah I originally read "brewerIES" as in multiple. I couldn't imagine going to several of them AND ride 100 miles in one day. Biking While Under The Influence. BWUTI for short.
Old 03-04-14, 12:24 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Goals:

4/12 200k brevet 7800 ft climb - make the mileage, don't care if make the controls. Will carry enough lights/batteries to go all night if need be,.
Do my once weekly commute (50 mile rt 1985 ft climb) as much as possible.
Ride with SO and Daughter as much as life permits.
---- Daughter wants to take up riding seriously, so try to facilitate/train/ride with/whatever...
8/16 100k populaire with Daughter and maybe SO...
Old 03-04-14, 12:59 PM
MikeRides

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
Ah I originally read "brewerIES" as in multiple. I couldn't imagine going to several of them AND ride 100 miles in one day. Biking While Under The Influence. BWUTI for short.
That would probably make sense to the general public, people look upon me as I lost my license to a DUI all the time when they see me riding a bike instead of driving everywhere. LOL
Old 03-06-14, 10:29 AM
kahughey

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Sportif

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 29 Posts
I am pretty new to riding. I would like to do 1000 miles this year and climb Red Top Mountain (Cartersville GA)
Old 03-07-14, 09:43 AM
dm83

Bikes: 2013 Allez, 2013 Sirrus, 1984 Legend Compe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My goal is always the same, get stronger so I can be better at every sport and a superior human being. I have a 250-mile ride planned out for this summer.
Old 06-01-14, 02:24 PM
unabowler

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unabowler
It's funny that just before coming onto the clyde site I was thinking about goals for the year. One of my goals is to no longer be a clyde. I've spent a lot of time on my trainer this winter and have been cutting out the between-meal snacking, and I've lost about 10 pounds. I've got a little more than 20 to go.

Another goal I was thinking about is to break 3 hours for 50 miles on a solo ride. I think the best I did last year was 3:07, but I'll have to check that as the course I did that on was a little longer than 50. But 16 and 2/3 mph for three hours isn't something I've ever done and seems like a good target.

My most important goal is to cycle consistently. I don't have a mileage target but my goal is to avoid or minimize the down periods that I've had in the past.
I remember posting these goals a while back. Today I made good on one of the goals, coming in under 3 hours for a solo 50 mile ride. I did 51 miles in 3:01. I've lost some weight, not sure how much, but I'm definitely still a clyde. I'd still like to get that by the end of the year.
Old 06-02-14, 01:38 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Goals:

Velo metric with SO July 19th. Pretty hilly but we do about this much climb on a challenging weekend ride.

A permanent or 2:

the year end either metric / 100 or 200k depending upon if SO and or Daughter decide to try.

A 100 miles / week soft target.
Old 06-02-14, 03:40 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My goals are to ride 100 miles by year end and get below 200 lbs. I have ridden 950 miles so far this year with my longest ride 59 miles last weekend. I will be riding my first metric century next weekend in the Tour de Rock. I hope to ride the Big Dam Bridge 100 in September. I have progressed way beyond my expectations as I only started riding in February this year.