Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

"Fat Guy Across America" - On the Road

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

"Fat Guy Across America" - On the Road

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 10:21 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
So, if you ride 10 miles a day on a bike tour, what do you do the rest of the day? I would be bored and just want to keep riding.
Something doesn't smell right about this tour.. oh, and one more thing, I am glad I cannot smell from my computer screen.
And that is not fat-bashing.
At some point he will need to "pack it in" because of the weather.
Maybe I am just jealous. I mean really jealous.... the guy has no job, no responsibilities, riding a couple miles a day and the rest of the time doing 'I don't know what', no money of his own, using other peoples money for this bike tour to get healthy.
Who pays for their visits to hospitals?
Old 10-12-15, 10:36 AM
scrming

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
No kidding.

I'm still suspicious but I'm pleased to see that he's actually making progress. For all the comments about making the "easy" choices, like eating a burger and fries, it makes me think that having a car handy will dilute his actual riding as well. His latest strava ride looks like it was done partly in a car (I doubt he was going 40+ on that bike of his)

What's up with his wife right now? She was in the hospital in Princeton for some reason?
he explained the 40 MPH. He accidentally left his phone in the car so Angie drive it to him.
Old 10-12-15, 10:45 AM
NYSteve

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
So, if you ride 10 miles a day on a bike tour, what do you do the rest of the day? I would be bored and just want to keep riding.
Something doesn't smell right about this tour.. oh, and one more thing, I am glad I cannot smell from my computer screen.
At some point he will need to "pack it in" because of the weather.
Maybe I am just jealous. I mean really jealous.... the guy has no job, no responsibilities, riding a couple miles a day and the rest of the time doing 'I don't know what', no money of his own, using other peoples money for this bike tour to get healthy.
Who pays for their visits to hospitals?
Homey has no job but is riding a nice bike than me, eating better than I can afford to, and riding in what I believe is some of the most beautiful area's of this country.

I am a little jealous, bitter, and annoyed. I also wish I had the Nads to do what he is doing.
Old 10-12-15, 11:02 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I would also like to hear from those that started off at a similar weight to him. Were 15-20 mile rides possible while weighing close to 500lbs? Not fat bashing, I truly want to know how much of a struggle this is, and it would probably help others here to understand what he may be going through. As far as the other mental hurdles that someone in his predicament has to deal with I am sure there are lots of stories here that mirror his.

I am also still skeptical about his intentions. I saw a rant from him regarding a reality show. I figure if the Kardashian's can have one why can't he. We make people famous for all sorts of reasons, why not this guy and his wife?
Old 10-12-15, 11:30 AM
Flatbroke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to camp a lot when I was young. Sleeping on the ground with or without a mat was easy. As I got a little older sleeping on the ground without a Mat was not fun. And now there is slim chance I will sleep in a tent or on a Cot.
just sleeping every day in a tent has to be a huge challenge for these folks and if they are I commend them for that.

Also due to size he has to have some medical issues such as sleep apnea that makes sleeping in best of conditions tough.

Traditionally the American people like to root for and support the underdog, the challenged up against difficult odds, or the little guy and in this case "fat guy across America"

Not sure of his motive but feel confident that he is attempting or claims to be be attempting one heck of a challenge even for someone in shape. He has received support from the people not just in America but it appears from a few other countries.

because of the generosity of good natured folks he is able to do had he chooses. Their gift benefits both of them. The joy of giving is just that. Giving.

Ive unfortunately arrested several people that prey upon the good nature of the human race. Will he make it across the untied states , maybe yes, maybe no. Does it seem feasible given the displayed efforts, probably not within the next year. At least not by bicycle.

Hope for his sake the good people keep giving. The holiday season is approaching and wallets open up so maybe he can stock up for the lean times.
Old 10-12-15, 11:42 AM
Gigglesnit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been on my bike about a year (very casual, still not in great physical shape even though I'm technically in the normal weight range and have been for almost two years). I guess this is a strange place for a first post on a bike forum, but this story caught my attention.

He comes off as shady to me. His last post says he turned off trackers and just rode. That's fine. Except he's getting funded to do this ride. I say he owes it to everyone who has donated to show his progress in the most reliable way he can. To prove he's doing what he says he is.

Off topic, but it was semi-brought up: A Clyde/Athena might be heavy but not out of shape, but what about a skinny fat short woman like me, who is under 140? Am I an Athena because I'm not a lean bicyclist but instead carry 30 pounds of useless around with me? Just curious.

Looking forward to learning here and enjoying this forum, even if I did find it only because of FGAA, and no matter where that fellow finally ends up.
Old 10-12-15, 12:10 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gigglesnit
Off topic, but it was semi-brought up: A Clyde/Athena might be heavy but not out of shape, but what about a skinny fat short woman like me, who is under 140? Am I an Athena because I'm not a lean bicyclist but instead carry 30 pounds of useless around with me? Just curious.
I don't think there's a weight check at the door here, a lot of us stick around even after "graduating" from Clyde status (though, at 6'2" I'll always be a Clyde by the triathlon definition).

This guy sets off my scam detectors, but people have to decide what to do with their own money. If people didn't fall for Nigerian prince emails those wouldn't be sent out...
Old 10-12-15, 12:18 PM
Gigglesnit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I think my extra pounds makes riding more difficult, which is a great reason to want it gone, regardless of where I fall as far as categories. I used to be 250 pounds, but I sure couldn't ride a bike. I'm really impressed by people with a long weight loss journey ahead who can and do.

It would be great if this guy was for real, or somehow became the real thing along the way. As so many have already pointed out, though, Winter is coming. But who knows?
Old 10-12-15, 12:27 PM
Lunchbox1987

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip Elite, 2009 Trek FX 7.6, Surly Crosscheck SS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man I can't believe this is back up after the 20+ pages of controversy the last thread was. I'm actually surprised. The first time around I believed in him, was excited about riding with him and wanted nothing but to see him do it but slowly kinda gave up hope. Never responded to me on ig or fb about riding and I ended up removing myself from the fb account. I didn't realize I still had him on ig until a week or two ago when he just dumped a bunch of photos of him crossing into nj.

I just don't feed into it, don't feed the troll. My coworker showed me the nyt article and I said whatever. If he makes it then the best to him, if not, then whatever. My personal goals are more important than watching this guy possibly make a fool out of the plus sized cyclists.
Old 10-12-15, 12:29 PM
Flatbroke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not the best photo but it is of the pacific as I saw it this morning. It's waiting for you. Keep peddling or what ever you are doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (99.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 10-12-15, 01:24 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are my thoughts about FGAA.

I do think he is a legitimate subject. And his progress makes him more legitimate. At least it looks like he is really trying. I couldn't care less about his gf/ex-wife/whatever. It is his journey that counts. And if he can actually make it across the US, then maybe we can say that bicycling helped him to straighten out his life. And maybe he'll talk to people that can help him (e.g. bicyclists, nutritionists, MD's, etc.), so that he can make the trip safely, too.

No, he is not eating healthy, but from what I can tell, he is actually biking and making progress now. Will he make it across the US? The odds are against him, but he is trying.

Now, I'm not saying to go and donate to him. But working towards his goal of biking across America may help him in other ways, and as he works his way across the U.S., he may be able to start working towards other goals.

GH
Old 10-12-15, 01:46 PM
scrming

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
Here are my thoughts about FGAA.

I do think he is a legitimate subject. And his progress makes him more legitimate. At least it looks like he is really trying. I couldn't care less about his gf/ex-wife/whatever. It is his journey that counts. And if he can actually make it across the US, then maybe we can say that bicycling helped him to straighten out his life. And maybe he'll talk to people that can help him (e.g. bicyclists, nutritionists, MD's, etc.), so that he can make the trip safely, too.

No, he is not eating healthy, but from what I can tell, he is actually biking and making progress now. Will he make it across the US? The odds are against him, but he is trying.

Now, I'm not saying to go and donate to him. But working towards his goal of biking across America may help him in other ways, and as he works his way across the U.S., he may be able to start working towards other goals.

GH
Yep, he LOOKS like he is trying... and that is what he wants... he wants you to believe he is trying...

I believe he is biking the absolute bare minimum to keep people interested, keep the donations coming in and not being a complete fraud.... He rides a couple of days, takes 5 days off... He has constantly ignored very sound advise from very experienced people and professionals.

I'm sorry you cannot turn your life around by simply riding every few days. For someone like Mr. Hites it is a drastic and complete lifestyle change. I know I've done it. While i was not 500+ pounds, i was still in pretty bad shape. September 2014, i put my foot down and decided to "reclaim my health". I started out at 325 pounds, ate junk food all day long and couldn't go up a flight of stairs. I got control of my eating, cutting out the crap and practicing portion control. I started walking around the block and then eventually doing short rides.... I kept training over the winter.... i started doing Cat 5 races in the spring... in fact i just completed my 12th race this last weekend... and I've lost 110 pounds! It take a lot of determination and commitment... and Mr. Hites has really not shown that. For him it's all about getting publicity... which brings in the donations....

For his next appearance he will be running up the stairs in Philly, just like Rocky.... Sorry, that is nothing more than a publicity stunt!!
Old 10-12-15, 01:57 PM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bgraham111
So, most people around here think that Mr. Hites may not have the purest of intentions. He has had some good days, but they seem to be separated by lots of drama. He also doesn't seem to take very good advice, and has made some questionable choices along the way (and I realize that you can't take everyone's advice... otherwise you'd never get anywhere... I mean, picking between hub powered lights and battery powered lights would end the trip right there..... picking panniers or a trailer would insight violence in the bike forums!!) But he is moving. I guess I can't say how hard his trip is, because I've never been that large.

So - my question - is there anyone around here in a similar situation as Mr. Hites (weight and fitness wise) that would want to take a similar trip? Someone that can take a summer off from work? Someone that bike forums could get behind, someone who might take some bike forums advice, someone who we all could help back on a gofundme type site to help with expenses? Right now is a great time to start - spend the winter getting food under control, getting a base level of fitness down, start collecting the proper equipment. Develop a plan on how to document the entire trip, develop the social media campaign, etc....

Just a thought.

IDK, but maybe this guy.

Breaking the Cycle
Old 10-12-15, 02:43 PM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jr59
IDK, but maybe this guy.

Breaking the Cycle
That's what I'm talking about. I just followed him on Strava. That's freakin' awesome. Thanks!
Old 10-12-15, 02:51 PM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
That's what I'm talking about. I just followed him on Strava. That's freakin' awesome. Thanks!
Big E has been at it a while, still racing in the northeast and has a couple of sponsor type deals. Not sure about the go fund me deal. Write him, he's great about answering. Also if you have FB, you can follow him as he posts lots of pics this time of year.

yea, he's pretty awesome, and from what a few friends tell me, a really good guy!
Old 10-12-15, 04:08 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
This reminds me of the Fat Man Walking guy that tried to walk the route 66 across America. Seems like a lot of the same issues. I remember that guy would go into town and eat 3-4 helpings of chicken fried steak and all the fixin's and kept wondering why the weight wasnt coming off.
Old 10-12-15, 06:57 PM
Gigglesnit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jr59
IDK, but maybe this guy.

Breaking the Cycle
Now this is someone who has earned whatever support he has gotten along the way. I read the list of what he's done so far and it's jaw dropping.

Originally Posted by brianmcg123
This reminds me of the Fat Man Walking guy that tried to walk the route 66 across America. Seems like a lot of the same issues. I remember that guy would go into town and eat 3-4 helpings of chicken fried steak and all the fixin's and kept wondering why the weight wasnt coming off.
He's broke, divorced, and pretty close to homeless now, too. Very sad, though he seems to still have some hope and he doesn't regret his decision.

But it's a timely reminder that just exercising and losing some weight, whether in the more usual or in some extremely unusual way, isn't going to fix a person's life.
Old 10-12-15, 07:04 PM
scrming

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gigglesnit
Now this is someone who has earned whatever support he has gotten along the way. I read the list of what he's done so far and it's jaw dropping.

He's broke, divorced, and pretty close to homeless now, too. Very sad, though he seems to still have some hope and he doesn't regret his decision.

But it's a timely reminder that just exercising and losing some weight, whether in the more usual or in some extremely unusual way, isn't going to fix a person's life.
great point. Even if Mr. Hites loses a lot of weight it's really only going to be a very superficial change...
Old 10-12-15, 07:11 PM
scrming

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123

That sounds like Mr. Hites. He basically brags about these big unhealthy meals that he eats... He also has admitted he's not going to give up his favorite foods no matter how unhealthy they are. His followers keep enabling him telling him it's ok because he deserves it!!!
Old 10-12-15, 07:27 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So, most people around here think that Mr. Hites may not have the purest of intentions. He has had some good days, but they seem to be separated by lots of drama. He also doesn't seem to take very good advice, and has made some questionable choices along the way (and I realize that you can't take everyone's advice... otherwise you'd never get anywhere... I mean, picking between hub powered lights and battery powered lights would end the trip right there..... picking panniers or a trailer would insight violence in the bike forums!!) But he is moving. I guess I can't say how hard his trip is, because I've never been that large.

So - my question - is there anyone around here in a similar situation as Mr. Hites (weight and fitness wise) that would want to take a similar trip? Someone that can take a summer off from work? Someone that bike forums could get behind, someone who might take some bike forums advice, someone who we all could help back on a gofundme type site to help with expenses? Right now is a great time to start - spend the winter getting food under control, getting a base level of fitness down, start collecting the proper equipment. Develop a plan on how to document the entire trip, develop the social media campaign, etc....

Just a thought.
I know fit people who pedaled across the country in about 30 days, some took 40. IMO, an unfit person cannot do it even in 100 days. The climbs alone would end the trip for someone in this guy's shape.
Old 10-12-15, 07:42 PM
Flatbroke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
I know fit people who pedaled across the country in about 30 days, some took 40. IMO, an unfit person cannot do it even in 100 days. The climbs alone would end the trip for someone in this guy's shape.
That would be a no cell, spot and maybe a 50 mph mistaken uphill strava post
Old 10-12-15, 09:02 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I old enough to remember Terry Fox who attempted to run across Canada to raise money for Cancer and he had little support or publicity thanks to the different era. Today he would likely have garnered several tens of thousands of $ if not millions. He was a one legged man, running on a crappy artificial leg and had ONE friend supporting him and they lived in a van. He ran from one point to next. No shortcuts. No sight seeing. No hoopla. Noble cause. He died before he finished. He is inspiring. FGAA not so much.
Old 10-13-15, 05:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I'm still in skeptic camp and feel he is in this to get fame or reality show. He's finally using Strava but a true cross country ride where he rides a bike the whole way seems unlikely. Think he is using car to get to points and riding to other points. I'd like this to be a real thing but I just don't see it.
That sums it up for me.

Query: Is there a way to view the route he has allegedly ridden? I live in Philly and familiar with NJ. Early on he hinted at taking U.S. 1 all the way to town. That would be suicide and likely illegal in places. This makes me wonder whether he is, in fact, getting driven through places and getting out and riding for "show." I don't know the first thing about Strava. Is there a way you could get a car ride and make it look like you rode a bike?
Old 10-13-15, 05:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail

+1. I did Seattle to Bar Harbor, ME (with two excursions into Canada) in 93 days riding a bike+gear that weighed 90 lbs. I was 35 and in probably the best shape of my life. This guy isn't carrying his gear anymore and he's still riding peanuts. I cannot imagine him riding some 25 mile climb our west, not to mention the fact that, at his pace, he's never going to make it to the Rockies, much less over them, before snow sets in.
Old 10-13-15, 05:58 AM
Gigglesnit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scrming
great point. Even if Mr. Hites loses a lot of weight it's really only going to be a very superficial change...
Well maybe some people have a 'go out into the wilderness' experience with life alterations like this and fix everything major that was wrong with their lives through it, but I don't think most of us get to be that cohesive and lucky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.