Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your "American Builders Only" Steel Rides

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your "American Builders Only" Steel Rides

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-16, 06:38 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesd416
Totally shilling here, but I love my Soma San Marcos. And I'm selling it.
Soma San Marcos Randonneur/Touring
Was the frameset built in the U.S.A ?

Also, buy a membership. Necessary to post an ad.
Old 03-19-16, 06:52 PM
trentschler
Not so new

Bikes: Klein Quantum, Schwinn Peloton, Moulton AM Esprit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Well, here are a couple of stainless steel bikes built by one of my favorite American builders - myself!

Argento
by trentschler2001, on Flickr

Columbus stainless tubes. Silver brazed. Phil hubs. White freewheel.
by trentschler2001, on Flickr
Old 03-20-16, 08:44 AM
mississippimud

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
Beautiful !
Old 03-20-16, 10:15 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 103 Posts
Picked this one up a few years ago. NOS frame. Still in the queue to be built.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tesch101.jpg (89.1 KB, 676 views)

Last edited by satbuilder; 03-20-16 at 10:56 AM. Reason: .
Old 03-20-16, 10:42 AM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
Nice Tesch!

Adding my recently squired JP Weigle and Bruce Gordon with new pic.

Old 03-20-16, 05:49 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Don't think I posted this one in this thread. Carlsbad Masi:

Old 03-20-16, 06:33 PM
Vonruden

Very nice @jimmuller. Looks very fast
Old 03-20-16, 06:36 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by Vonruden
Very nice @jimmuller. Looks very fast
Agreed, sweet red bike.
Old 03-20-16, 07:02 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Uncle Stein
My 1981 Greg Diamond, I am the original owner, Greg built and painted this for me. He was a lovely gent

531 DB with straight gauge down tube for stiffness. Double eyelets for racks and fenders
Cinelli Handlebars/Stem
Campy NR Headset
Campy NR Brakes
Campy high flange to 27" Mavic
Phil Wood Bottom Bracket
Campy seat post with Brooks Professional
Campy SR Pedals
TA Crankset 48, 37,26 and 13-21 freewheel
Had it built as sports touring bike. At the time I was riding centuries and going for long tours
I no longer ride this bike. If you have personal connection with Greg and those days in SB get in touch. Maybe we can work something out
The hell you say, blasphemy, "I no longer ride this bike" that needs to change straight away! Unknown to me builder until now,fabulous, very nice. No connection, but we could talk.
Old 03-20-16, 08:03 PM
Uncle Stein

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send me an email harmless.eccentric@gmail.com
Old 03-20-16, 08:10 PM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Nice Tesch!

Adding my recently squired JP Weigle and Bruce Gordon with new pic.

You have some very nice bikes, and just my size!
Old 03-21-16, 06:53 PM
Vonruden

Originally Posted by jr59
You have some very nice bikes, and just my size!
Thanks, you as well. I have a nice Zunow for sale and I'm considering selling my vintage Ritchey since I don't ride it much.
Old 03-22-16, 09:03 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
Not a lot of Merz bikes around. I picked up a weird Merz from Sellwood Cycle in Portland, OR, maybe 10yrs ago? It had Nervex Pro lugs, which I hadn't ever seen on a Merz, and a seatstay-mount generator braze-on, and tiny headlight wire tubes brazed on the sides of the top tube brake casing braze-ons. It's hard to describe, but the frame had a kind of slap-dash feel to it, like something I would build for myself if I were a framebuilder, but not for a customer. I don't mean that in a negative sense at all, it just had a homebrew feeling.

Jim Merz joined the Classic Rendezvous list a few years later, so I asked him about the frame and sent him the serial number. Turned out my hunch was right, it was one of the first frames Jim built, and he built it for himself as a commuter. It was more than homebrew, it was built from two crashed Raleigh Pro frames. Early on Jim would get trashed frames from Raleigh and play with them. His commuter was the front half a Pro frame with a trashed rear triangle attached to the rear half of a Pro frame with buckled top/downtubes. And he threw on a bunch o' braze-ons for lighting and such.

To Jim's credit, even though he was very excited to find out this sucker still existed, he didn't try to snatch it from my hands. But he did let me know that if I should ever think about selling it, he'd want to be first in line. I figured it couldn't ever mean more to me than it would to him (Jim's house in Malibu burned to the ground one wildfire season, and he lost just about everything), so I sold it to him right away. A while later we met for the first time at CR's Cirque. Jim had the bike with him, but he had taken the torch to it again to remove the weird bits, and then had Keith Anderson paint it for him. It looked incredible, and I immediately regretted selling it to him. Well, not really, but you know what I mean...

Before, when I owned it; note the genuine Merz Tripelizer middle/granny ring:

After Jim got it back:

Originally Posted by merziac
Tx, also finally got pics of the other one and will do a new post with everything together.

As an aside, have you ever seen another Merz in person or on here? I have searched pretty hard on here and found none.
Old 03-22-16, 09:37 PM
pcb 

Can't remember if I posted my Kelly Bone Stock geared build yet. Tig'd steel, but steel. light and fast. The frame color is a deep, dark blue that's very close to black. The blue's hard to see even in sunlight, so I to brighten these shot considerably to let some blue creep in.

I've also got the Bone Stock's sister or cousin, a Kelly Knobby-X, also tig'd. Just posted a coupla pix on the "C&V Gravel Grinder" thread, but here she is again. Chris calls this color "Toothpaste."

Kelly Bone Stock:

Kelly Knobby-X:

Old 03-23-16, 12:03 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

[QUOTE=pcb;18629667]Not a lot of Merz bikes around. I picked up a weird Merz from Sellwood Cycle in Portland, OR, maybe 10years ago

I do know exactly what you mean. Such a cool story, which does not surprise me. I like nothing better than hearing about these sort of fabulous creations coming full circle so to speak. It of course brings up many more questions, were you in PDX, how did you know about Jim, etc, yada, yada, more cool details please. If you follow my postings back to page 11, it just scratches the surface of this one , which was his first purpose built for himself and just like yours, is not really the same as when he built it. It also came from Sellwood cycles as did the other one that I actually got first.
Old 03-23-16, 03:08 AM
Vonruden

Originally Posted by pcb
Not a lot of Merz bikes around. I picked up a weird Merz from Sellwood Cycle in Portland, OR, maybe 10yrs ago? It had Nervex Pro lugs, which I hadn't ever seen on a Merz, and a seatstay-mount generator braze-on, and tiny headlight wire tubes brazed on the sides of the top tube brake casing braze-ons. It's hard to describe, but the frame had a kind of slap-dash feel to it, like something I would build for myself if I were a framebuilder, but not for a customer. I don't mean that in a negative sense at all, it just had a homebrew feeling.

Jim Merz joined the Classic Rendezvous list a few years later, so I asked him about the frame and sent him the serial number. Turned out my hunch was right, it was one of the first frames Jim built, and he built it for himself as a commuter. It was more than homebrew, it was built from two crashed Raleigh Pro frames. Early on Jim would get trashed frames from Raleigh and play with them. His commuter was the front half a Pro frame with a trashed rear triangle attached to the rear half of a Pro frame with buckled top/downtubes. And he threw on a bunch o' braze-ons for lighting and such.

To Jim's credit, even though he was very excited to find out this sucker still existed, he didn't try to snatch it from my hands. But he did let me know that if I should ever think about selling it, he'd want to be first in line. I figured it couldn't ever mean more to me than it would to him (Jim's house in Malibu burned to the ground one wildfire season, and he lost just about everything), so I sold it to him right away. A while later we met for the first time at CR's Cirque. Jim had the bike with him, but he had taken the torch to it again to remove the weird bits, and then had Keith Anderson paint it for him. It looked incredible, and I immediately regretted selling it to him. Well, not really, but you know what I mean...

Before, when I owned it; note the genuine Merz Tripelizer middle/granny ring:

After Jim got it back:
Thats an awesome story @pcb!

btw, love those White Bros cranks on the Kelly, looks hot. I'm thinking about the same for my Hunqapillar.
Old 03-23-16, 04:08 AM
gomango

btw, love those White Bros cranks on the Kelly, looks hot. I'm thinking about the same for my Hunqapillar.
+1

My favorite "modern" crankset by far. I have one that's destined for my Monstercross.
Old 03-25-16, 08:11 PM
pcb 

Went back to read through your posts again, very cool you wound up with one of Jim's own bikes, too. And with his racks! He's mighty proud of those racks, with reason.

I've only spent a couple/few days in PDX, I discovered Sellwood's used bike listings on this thing called the internet. Being local to PDX, kinda makes sense they've had a bunch o' Merzes move through. It seems like a pretty cool shop from what I've seen on the interwebs. I bought one or two other bikes from them, and they sent me a Sellwood "Team S&M" cap.

I bought the Merz in '02, sold it to Jim in '09, saw it at Cirque in '10. I sold it to him for pretty much what it cost me, maybe $400 or so? I met him at Cirque, mentioned the frame, and without realizing I was the one that sold it to him, he said: "Yeah, some guy contacted me through CR and sold it to me for some ridiculously low price..." I told him I was, in fact, that same fool, and that if my finances were different I would have been happy to give it him for free. I think Jim's a great guy who's done a lot in and for the bike biz, so I didn't feel the need to profit from reuniting him with his frame.

Then he had to go make it all better and prettier and all... :^**

[QUOTE=merziac;18629912]
Originally Posted by pcb
Not a lot of Merz bikes around. I picked up a weird Merz from Sellwood Cycle in Portland, OR, maybe 10years ago

I do know exactly what you mean. Such a cool story, which does not surprise me. I like nothing better than hearing about these sort of fabulous creations coming full circle so to speak. It of course brings up many more questions, were you in PDX, how did you know about Jim, etc, yada, yada, more cool details please. If you follow my postings back to page 11, it just scratches the surface of this one , which was his first purpose built for himself and just like yours, is not really the same as when he built it. It also came from Sellwood cycles as did the other one that I actually got first.
Old 03-25-16, 08:31 PM
pcb 

Thanks, Jim's a good dude, deserves some blasts from his past.

The White crank kinda fell in my lap on ebay. Well, not really, that means I bid on it and won. The Knobby-X is an older one with bent chainstays, and it's tough trying to use cross-stock 34/36t inner chainrings. The drive-side crank has to sit way outboard for the inner ring to clear the stays, so the Q gets high and the chainline gets wonky. I really didn't want to go triple, I'm too lazy to shift 3 rings these days, and I didn't want to try to work a double on an ATB crank. All the double cranks I was sitting on were 110bcd, so 34t was the smallest I could use. I tried setting up a 110/74bcd triple with a 30t granny/42t middle ring and a chainguard in place of the outer ring, but the shifting sucked.

So I was thinking about maybe finding a TA Pro 5 Vis crank, when the White popped up on ebay. It's a 46/30, and the 30 is smaller enough to minimize the chainline probs, and it shifts easy, and it's a boutique-ey blingy thing that meshes OK with the Paul brakes and Chris King headset and Thomson post and etc, etc, etc. I did also get a White triple just in case the double didn't work out, but didn't have to use it.

I think I have a pic with the Ultegra double/triple chainguard contraption. Looked OK, but wasn't fun to shift:

Old 03-25-16, 11:35 PM
merziac

Thanx for another chapter pcb, I love it, although I would not have let it go but good on ya and I know Jim is a happy guy getting it back.
Old 03-26-16, 02:22 AM
merziac

[QUOTE=pcb;18637183]Thanks, Jim's a good dude, deserves some blasts from his past.

Agreed, so my next question is aside from a keen eye and very good taste, how did you know to buy one?
Old 03-26-16, 06:13 AM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Was the frameset built in the U.S.A ?

Also, buy a membership. Necessary to post an ad.
Taiwanese.
Old 03-27-16, 06:35 AM
mississippimud

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
DITTO ! Thanks for sharing
Originally Posted by merziac
Thanx for another chapter pcb, I love it, although I would not have let it go but good on ya and I know Jim is a happy guy getting it back.
Old 03-30-16, 02:20 AM
livelikegold

Bikes: Production Privee Shan 26", 1996 LandShark Road Shark (currently in rebuild), Raleigh Roper Flat Bar Gravel/Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulfs67
My 94 Ritchey Road Logic

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
There's some really beautiful frames in here. Glad I stumbled upon this thread. My landshark will get shipped to me in about a week. This Ritchey is by far one of my favorites.
Old 03-30-16, 02:35 AM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can't remember if I've shared this yet or not, but here is the first 2016 picture of my Ted Wojcik roadie. Ya don't see too many of these.

It is all nearly DuraAce 7700, Cooks E2 crank with Real rings. Running tubular (1st bike tubular) on Velocity Escapes.

The bike is light, fast, and comfortable! Impeccable welds. Reynolds 853.

2016-03-26_06-00-15

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.