Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Converting Giant Revel 2 to Touring Bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 11:06 AM
garevigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everyone!

I am a bike noob, but was hoping to get into touring throughout Michigan.

I already own a Giant Revel 2 (I am not allowed to post links to it as this is my first post.).

Would it be possible to convert this to a touring bike? What obstacles might I run into? Any recommendations on what things I would need to specifically look into? Maybe replacing the fork? Just looking for ideas and advice that might kill the idea or push it in the right direction.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-17, 11:19 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by garevigi
I am a bike noob, but was hoping to get into touring throughout Michigan.
What type of touring? On road? Two tracks in the UP? Are you camping or staying in hotels?

I had a friend who set up a Giant ATX2, which looks to be a fairly similar bike with 27.5" instead of 26" tires and disc brakes. He didn't have the best of luck with his derailleurs, he had a bit of shifting trouble with the Tourney setup. Also ran into issues finding a front rack that worked well with the suspension fork, and had to rig up fenders, although that may not be an issue with the rim brake fork.
Old 07-27-17, 11:24 AM
garevigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be camping and on road. I dont want to spend $1500 on a new touring bike. Was hoping to learn something about bikes while trying to just convert this.
Old 07-27-17, 08:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
I would be camping and on road. I dont want to spend $1500 on a new touring bike. Was hoping to learn something about bikes while trying to just convert this.
You don't have to spend $1500 on a new touring bike. However putting money into your current bike wouldn't make much sense. The quality of the components isn't great and they are certainly not very durable. You could find an older steel MTB from the late 80s or early 90s for cheap enough and convert that to a better tourer or put the money towards a Jamis Aurora or even a Fuji touring.

There aren't many Giants that I would want to put much money into. Their Toughroad is kind of neat but I wouldn't want to tour on a carbon fork with racks on it it just seems like a poor idea to me. Plus their more adventure focused bikes tend to use proprietary rack mounts and seatposts/clamps which is a deal breaker for me. However going back too the ToughRoad it does make a neat off road hybrid at a reasonable price. Could be fun as a old school meets new school Rigid MTB.
Old 07-28-17, 06:45 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Because it is what you already own, it would allow you to determine if touring is for you, or not. To use a rear rack you'll need to determine if there is a threaded hole on the rear drop outs (where the axle is positioned) and if there is, is there something to which the upper rack stays can be affixed to. P clips or a seat post binder with the set of threaded holes to attach the upper rack stays are a couple of popular options if there is nothing built into the bike. Bike packing gear is also an option, which generally uses the main frame to support different styles of bags.

Brad
Old 07-28-17, 06:57 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Hi Everyone...
Hello and welcome to BF.

With bikes that don't readily lend themselves to touring duty, many choose a trailer. I recommend BoB Yak. If touring doesn't suit you, then you can sell the slightly used Yak for more than half it's cost.
Old 07-28-17, 07:41 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Was hoping to learn something about bikes while trying to just convert this.
The good news is that most of what you buy to give this a shot should easily transfer to a new bike if you decide it is not working for you.

The bike wouldn't be my first choice for what you are doing, but as bradtx mentioned, you already own it, that is the biggest mark in your favor. No drawbacks to grabbing some racks and bags, bolting them up, and giving it a go! A I'd just personally run the bike as is, don't bother with changing components (besides tires, depending on what it currently runs) on it until you have tried it out. That will give you some time to REALLY know that it is the frame you want to build up and what you need to do to make it work for you.

Last edited by jefnvk; 07-28-17 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-28-17, 07:45 AM
unionmanbirch

Bikes: Origami Crane 8, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Definitely possible to tour on that bike. I've got a Trek with v-brakes, but otherwise looks similar to the Giant. I use the Axiom Suspension and Disc Lowrider Front Rack which attaches with the quick release skewer and clamps. Have had no problems with that setup on the road, although touring off-road my older Jandd panniers bounce around I have to reattach them occasionally. Looks like you should have mounts for a rear rack but you will need the bags set far enough back so you don't hit them with your heels when pedaling. If you aren't sure about racks, go with the trailer.
Old 07-29-17, 05:26 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Welcome to BF!

Mountain bikes of just about any caliber can be used for touring. Naturally, some are better suited than others. For instance, a fully-suspended bike while great on the trails, will be cumbersome and sap power on the road. If your fork can be locked out, then I see no reason not to use it. Perhaps you can find a sweet deal on a replacement that will lock out when you need it. If you look up Surly forks, there are many different attachment points for cages, racks, etc. They usually run about $100.

I'm also a fan of bikepacking-style bags, and not panniers for a mountain bike tourer. Why? I don't feel that its necessary to bring everything you own with you on tour, and I relish the challenge of going ultralight. Each to his own. When using bikepacking bags, you really do not need any extra braze-ons or racks. You simply attach the bags to your frame and handlebars and seatpost. The frame carries the weight of your gear - not the dropouts. Bikepacking bags typically keep the weight closer to the bikes center of gravity.
Old 08-01-17, 01:23 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
i also see no reason you couldnt tour on your bike. smooth tires and a rack and your on the road. fenders if you really want them. i have definitly rode waaaay worse bikes than what you have.