Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stuck Cotter Pin - Idea Help Sought

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-22-17, 11:37 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 634 Posts

I just saw the most recent beater challenge and thought back to the star-crossed 1970 Raleigh Record that I picked up for $20 last summer. I was inspired and motivated. I have a fine cotter pin press that I've made good use of on other cranks.

This one bent in the channel - on the drive side naturally. I've tried pushing it back. I've tried putting a ball bearing between the jaws of the press and the butt end of the cotter pin, I've tried a punch and hammer. Reluctant to try a drill, as I don't have a vise or a drill press. Does anyone have a brilliant idea that will get this unstuck, so that I can finish the refurb and get it placed in a new home?
Old 12-23-17, 01:09 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I just saw the most recent beater challenge and thought back to the star-crossed 1970 Raleigh Record that I picked up for $20 last summer. I was inspired and motivated. I have a fine cotter pin press that I've made good use of on other cranks.

This one bent in the channel - on the drive side naturally. I've tried pushing it back. I've tried putting a ball bearing between the jaws of the press and the butt end of the cotter pin, I've tried a punch and hammer. Reluctant to try a drill, as I don't have a vise or a drill press. Does anyone have a brilliant idea that will get this unstuck, so that I can finish the refurb and get it placed in a new home?
Is the other crank arm still there? Can you ride it? I've read that doing so without the nut dislodges the cotter pretty quickly. Haven't done it myself. The one bike for which I removed cotters did so pretty easily with the socket and huge c-clamp trick, but that won't work with a bent cotter, I suspect.
Old 12-23-17, 01:21 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Air hammer?

Old 12-23-17, 02:10 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 207 Posts
I would give the hammer another try. Improvise a way to rigidly support the opposite side of the arm so that the energy is not attenuated. Thread the nut back on a few turns if you can. Give it a good hard blow with the hammer.
Old 12-23-17, 02:26 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 846 Posts
One can heat the affected area to several hundred degrees F without doing any damage, even as grease residue is starting to issue a good amount of smoke.

I've removed a few stubborn cotters where heat made the difference. This has never failed me.

Another good way is to drill through the fat end of the cotter with a 3/16" drill bit, this method also has never failed me even after a cotter previously got smooshed from hammer blows.

Some old-time mechanics routinely cut off the cotter's threaded stem with a chisel and then proceeded with a thick drift punch and hammer to get the remains of the cotter out. It requires that the crank be supported above a rigid cement surface with a length of pipe centered on the fat end of the cotter to allow the hammer blows to generate sufficient force.
Old 12-23-17, 04:07 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Is the other crank arm still there? Can you ride it? I've read that doing so without the nut dislodges the cotter pretty quickly. Haven't done it myself. The one bike for which I removed cotters did so pretty easily with the socket and huge c-clamp trick, but that won't work with a bent cotter, I suspect.
Riding a square taper crank off is a fairly reliable method.
Never had it work on a cotter.
Old 12-23-17, 05:57 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
My normal series of cotter removal...
  • Cotter Press (Got the current one from BikeSmith Designs)
  • Hammer and punch
  • Heat with a torch then try the press
  • Heat with torch then try the BFH
  • Drill it out from the blunt end

I have been pretty fortunate that I can usually get it out by step 3, I can only recall one in recent years that had to be drilled out. I have never "ridden" one out. Rode one old 3 speed with a sheared off cotter for several years and it never came loose.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-23-17, 06:12 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,710 Times in 1,393 Posts
I had my boss' Raleigh with a stuck cotter. Drive side. 3 weeks later, a half a bottle of Kroil, oxy-acetylene heat, air-in-a-can cold, I wound up using a hand drill.

Good luck.
Old 12-23-17, 06:15 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
I always used to enjoy a cotter pin challenge (afterward, if successful).

You say that you tried pushing it (the bent part of the cotter) back. If you haven't already done so, try threading the nut part of the way on and giving it a sideways whack with a hammer to straighten the bent section. (If you can't get the bent section sufficiently straight, neither the cotter press nor the hammer and punch will work and you're probably doomed to drilling the pin out.)

Edit: as a last resort before drilling (and only if you've given up on the cotter press), try cutting off the threaded part of the cotter so that the remaining portion is flush with the crank surface and then using the hammer and punch.

If the cotter press doesn't work, it's still worth trying the hammer and punch approach (but don't leave the bike sitting on the floor while hammering; otherwise, the tires absorb a significant amount of the hammer force).

By the way, I always found that pointed punches were unsatisfactory for cotter pin removal: too small a contact point. A solid axle from a rear hub always worked better for me. (For maximum impact, it's best to leave the nut threaded on so that its upper surface is flush with the end of the cotter.)

Supporting the crank arm can help if you happen to have an appropriate small-inner-diameter pipe lying around.

However, since that can still result in a significant amount of the hammer force being absorbed elsewhere than at the end of the cotter pin, I always preferred the opposite approach: hanging the bike from the repair stand's clamp by the tip of the saddle nose so that the bike dangles freely.

Or, if you don't have a repair stand, do what I do and hang the bike from a hook in the ceiling using an inner tube. (It can help to position a couple of chairs against the wheels to keep the bike from swinging around.)

This approach might seem counter-intuitive, but you want to ensure that the absolute minimum amount of hammer force is being absorbed elsewhere than at the point of impact.

Last edited by Trakhak; 12-23-17 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-23-17, 06:51 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
I've had success removing the drive side crank with the fixed cup and spindle still attached. Remove adjustable side first. Then carefully remove fixed cup with a wrench behind the crankset.

Once you have the drive side removed (with the fixed cup and spindle still attached), use a drill press to drill out the cotter pin.

I also have a nice cotter press, but it doesn't always work.

The remove first method always works as long as you can remove at least one side of the crank (drive or non-drive side).

Once it is removed, you can also apply brute strength at will.
Old 12-23-17, 08:45 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
My Binford impact drill driver air hammer grinder would make short work of that.
Old 12-23-17, 12:28 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 634 Posts
Thanks for the constructive ideas.

I am tempted to try riding it off as my preliminary measure (he says looking out the window at snow falling). That said, the bike is otherwise completely disassembled. I forgot to mention that I have sort of a catch-22 situation with the bottom bracket. The crank arm is swaged to the ring, and that makes applying significant force to either use a hammer (to beat out the pin), or a spanner (to get the cup off) an operation that could result in significant lacerations.

If it won't ride off, I think I'll have to puzzle out the removal of the BB as a preliminary step.
Old 12-23-17, 01:08 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Thanks for the constructive ideas.

I am tempted to try riding it off as my preliminary measure (he says looking out the window at snow falling). That said, the bike is otherwise completely disassembled. I forgot to mention that I have sort of a catch-22 situation with the bottom bracket. The crank arm is swaged to the ring, and that makes applying significant force to either use a hammer (to beat out the pin), or a spanner (to get the cup off) an operation that could result in significant lacerations.

If it won't ride off, I think I'll have to puzzle out the removal of the BB as a preliminary step.
Use a large drift (4-6") held over the pin with a pair of vise-grips. No danger to anything but the chainring, if you miss.

FYI, an engineer's hammer has a knurled face, to reduce slipping when it hits a metal forming tool.
Old 12-23-17, 01:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Drift Punch.. ball peen hammer.. a carpenters hammer is hard , because nails are soft ,
machinist hammers are softer steel, because the Punches are hardened.

& back up the crankarm against something solid , not sitting on it's tires..
Old 12-23-17, 01:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Let us know how it goes!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-23-17, 01:59 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Bikes: Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking for those of you with the nice press tool, hindsight being 20/20 perhaps pressing a pin
"in" can be over done. Cotter pins are soft steel and will snug in nice & tight with a couple hammer taps then nutted to spec.
Old 12-23-17, 02:22 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
...I don't think you'll have much luck riding it off. A cotter, stuck like you describe it, is seated in there well. All the nut does is keep it snugged down, and you've accomplished an alternative to that by bending it.

That said, drilling one out is not a big deal, just PIA, If you can, cut it off even with the crank arm at the threaded end, then center punch it to get a starting point for your drill, Choose a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the cotter itself, and drill it down far enough that you have a nice empty hole to seat a drift or pin punch with an end that is a litle smaller than the hole. Then drip in some ATF/acetone mix on both ends of the cotter, give it a chance to wick in there, and whale on the punch with the crank arm supported on something like a pipe or a notched 2X4 that is supported on a solid surface like a concrete floor. The pin itself is much softer than the the crank arm or the spindle, and you don't really need to go past the spindle intersection with the cotter anyway. Just be careful not to bugger up the hole in the crank arm, which is clearly visible.

I have done six or ten of them this way. LIke I said, PIA, but not all that difficult once you resign yourself to it as the solution.

As a bonus, you can turn the remains of the cotter into a lavalier or a keychain fob.
Old 12-23-17, 02:24 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti
I'm thinking for those of you with the nice press tool, hindsight being 20/20 perhaps pressing a pin
"in" can be over done. Cotter pins are soft steel and will snug in nice & tight with a couple hammer taps then nutted to spec.
...pulling in a cotter with the nut is a good way to strip the threads. It's almost impossible to "overpress" them on installation if youi want them to stay seated under normal use.
Old 12-23-17, 02:37 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Stuck cotters rank alongside stuck seatposts as the worst of the worst. I had one of these, worked on it for two weeks, every trick I could come up with, and in the end, it still came down to drill, baby, drill. Hard to stay in a zen place when you're swearing so much at the dang thing.
Old 12-23-17, 03:53 PM
pcf

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyFranky
I had one of these, worked on it for two weeks, every trick I could come up with, and in the end, it still came down to drill, baby, drill.
Ditto on a ‘72 UO-8 I just did.

Once you drill it though, stand on both cranks and the drilled pin will shear off.
Old 12-23-17, 04:41 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I've fiddled about with stuck cotters for the last 50 years, and there is no truly foolproof way, but the way that always works for me is to:

1. Remove the mashed, bent, and otherwise unusable threaded end of the cotter. I typically give it a couple swacks with a punch and it breaks off.

2. Take a Dremel and grind a small divot into the approximate center of the thread-end of the cotter.

3. Drill a 3/16' hole about 1/2" deep into the cotter.

4. Punch it out with a 3/16" punch. Use a brass hammer. Always.

This method takes some time, but it has never failed me.
Old 12-23-17, 06:19 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyFranky
Stuck cotters rank alongside stuck seatposts as the worst of the worst.
Wait 'til you tackle a rust-welded bottom bracket.
Old 12-23-17, 06:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
Use a brass hammer. Always.
I've never heard this. What special property does a brass hammer have?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-23-17, 07:11 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,031 Times in 1,245 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I think this is answered in post #14
Better purchase between hammer and drift?
Old 12-23-17, 07:48 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I brass hammer is soft. When you strike cold chisels and punches, you do not risk the chance of shattering the steel. Brass grips. Steel deflects. Its one of the common laws of metalcraft. FWIW, a copper, zinc or lead hammer will do the same, but brass is the most common.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.