Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Man sets up camera to monitor bike lane blocking

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 03-16-18, 12:13 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts

• https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/n...-new-york.html
  • Alex Bell hates it when the designated bike lane he is pedaling down is blocked. So, too, do many cycling New Yorkers. But Mr. Bell hates it so much that he has tried to do something about it: Three years ago he sued U.P.S., targeting the delivery company's trucks for blocking his bike path, a case he lost that is in its second round of appeals.
  • Now Mr. Bell is trying another tack - the 30-year-old computer scientist who lives in Harlem has created a prototype of a machine-learning algorithm that studies footage from a traffic camera and tracks precisely how often bike lanes are obstructed by delivery trucks, parked cars and waiting cabs, among other scofflaws. It is a piece of data that transportation advocates said is missing in the largely anecdotal discussion of how well the city's bus and bike lanes do or do not work.
Old 03-16-18, 12:30 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 03-16-18, 01:44 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I know your "conversations" are write-only, but really, trite-meme-only?

Bus Lane Blocked, He Trained His Computer to Catch Scofflaws

I've written elsewhere:

(Oh, the number one complaint of bus operators on the Silver Line? Double parking. The number one complaint of people on bikes on that bus/bike lane? Double parking.)

-mr. bill
Old 03-16-18, 04:42 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As if a cyclist leaving a bike lane to go around a double parked car is even a thing, much less comparable to a bus having to go around a car double-parked in a bus lane.

I mean, how lazy do you have to be to be bothered even a little by having to move your line over a few feet?

Last edited by Ninety5rpm; 03-16-18 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 04:42 PM
punkinevil

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Continental, 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-13, 1977 Schwinn Superior, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1977 Schwinn LeTour II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I also have to point out that NYC has a "must-use" law regarding bike lanes, so it's not a case of a cyclist catching the vapors because he has to ride out of the bike lane. Cyclists in the city can and do get hefty fines, often regardless of obstructions. I applaud this guys initiative to track the problem in the bike and bus lanes.
Old 03-16-18, 04:48 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OMG, look how challenging this must be!

Where could a bicyclist possibly go?

The horror!

Old 03-16-18, 05:41 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkinevil
I also have to point out that NYC has a "must-use" law regarding bike lanes, so it's not a case of a cyclist catching the vapors because he has to ride out of the bike lane. Cyclists in the city can and do get hefty fines, often regardless of obstructions. I applaud this guys initiative to track the problem in the bike and bus lanes.
You made me look it up.

(p) Bicycles.
(1)Bicycle riders to use bicycle lanes. Whenever a usable path or lane for bicycles has been
provided, bicycle riders shall use such path or lane only except under any of the following
situations:
(i) When preparing for a turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(ii) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including but not limited to, fixed or
moving objects, motor vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, pushcarts, animals, surface hazards)
that make it unsafe to continue within such bicycle path or lane.

Obviously you can't just swerve around the parked car. You need to look back and signal first, possibly negotiating for right of way if necessary. This is no different from anywhere else that I know of. This is really cycling 101. I mean, if a blocked bike lane is a problem, maybe you shouldn't be riding in traffic. Just saying.

See pp 59-60:
https://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/trafrule.pdf
Old 03-16-18, 05:52 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
A person could drive him or herself absolutely nuts fretting about these and other sorts of scofflaws. Crusades come with a ball and chain. Best to interact with an impediment the most graceful way possible and then put it out of mind.

Also, I think that it is a good assumption that we all benefit from delivery folks. If we forcefully compelled them to park in designated areas, the likely outcome would be higher shipping costs and longer shipping times.
Old 03-16-18, 06:00 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
You made me look it up.
Nobody made you do anything.

What part of “can and do get hefty fines, regardless of obstructions” did you not understand?

Bike Lane tickets

-mr. bill
Old 03-16-18, 06:06 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,434 Times in 2,812 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill

What part of “can and do get hefty fines, regardless of obstructions” did you not understand?

Bike Lane tickets

-mr. bill
I was just going to post the famous Casey Neistat video, but I see your link contains it.
Old 03-16-18, 06:31 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I was just going to post the famous Casey Neistat video, but I see your link contains it.
Twofer. Can’t wait for Gothamist to Phoenix*, but still holding my breath for the excellent reporters.

BTW, BUS LANES!

-mr. bill

*The legendary bird, not the city or The Cambridge ((our fair city) MA) Phoenix which became The Boston Phoenix which eventually became The Phoenix which did not rise up....
Old 03-16-18, 06:36 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Figure of speech. You might be the most captious person I've ever encountered.

Bike Lane tickets

-mr. bill
I understand it perfectly. That's a reason to get some justice, not a reason to complain about silly trivial insignificant inconveniences.
Old 03-16-18, 06:46 PM
punkinevil

Bikes: 1978 Schwinn Continental, 1970 Schwinn Paramount P-13, 1977 Schwinn Superior, 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1977 Schwinn LeTour II

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm

(p) Bicycles.
(1)Bicycle riders to use bicycle lanes. Whenever a usable path or lane for bicycles has been
provided, bicycle riders shall use such path or lane only except under any of the following
situations:
(i) When preparing for a turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(ii) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including but not limited to, fixed or
moving objects, motor vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, pushcarts, animals, surface hazards)
that make it unsafe to continue within such bicycle path or lane.
I don't feel like getting into some sort of Jr. High flame war over this. The phrase "reasonably necessary" is keen to very broad interpretation, and the NYPD can be positively giddy about ticketing cyclists (especially towards the end of the month). There are a lot of people who have been ticketed, most of whom don't have the time to fight it in court. This isn't theoretical. This is how it works.

Additionally, I'm not sure why we're arguing about this. I can also walking around the dog crap on the sidewalk in front of my building, but that doesn't mean it's ok for people to let their dogs crap there OR that I shouldn't try to get them to stop. I can go around the cars parked in the bike lane (sometimes 5 along one block) but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to do something about that bad behavior

The crux of this article was mainly about obstructing bus lanes, which involves the exact same mindset and behavior (generally, the only difference is which side of the street the offenders park on).
Old 03-16-18, 07:09 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't feel like getting into some sort of Jr. High flame war over this. The phrase "reasonably necessary" is keen to very broad interpretation, and the NYPD can be positively giddy about ticketing cyclists (especially towards the end of the month). There are a lot of people who have been ticketed, most of whom don't have the time to fight it in court. This isn't theoretical. This is how it works.

Additionally, I'm not sure why we're arguing about this. I can also walking around the dog crap on the sidewalk in front of my building, but that doesn't mean it's ok for people to let their dogs crap there OR that I shouldn't try to get them to stop. I can go around the cars parked in the bike lane (sometimes 5 along one block) but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to do something about that bad behavior

The crux of this article was mainly about obstructing bus lanes, which involves the exact same mindset and behavior (generally, the only difference is which side of the street the offenders park on).
Well said.

People double park mostly because they need to deliver or pickup someone or something. Yes we need laws to prohibit it, but I think complaining about vehicles in bike lanes is akin to complaining about cyclists who roll stops. Dog excrement on the sidewalk is on a whole 'nother level - that actually matters because someone is likely to accidentally step into the pile. But bicyclists aren't really affected by cars parked in bike lanes, just like nobody is affected by stop sign rolling cyclists. It should be trivially easy to go around a parked car, just like it should be trivially easy to ignore a stop sign rolling cyclist who doesn't harm or affect anyone.

NYPD ticketing cyclists for that needs addressing separately. That's outrageous.
Old 03-16-18, 07:39 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
In Toronto, we have/had a team of parking enforcement officers on bicycles not only ticketing vehicles parked in the bike lanes but also socially shaming them on Twitter.

It was very effective. Delivery trucks were the biggest culprits and they have since changed their policies.

I even notice when I see a vehicle parked in the bike lane up ahead, the drivers are very keen on moving their vehicles well in advance of my approach.

If you can't enforce this kind of thing, what's the point of parking fines, no parking zones, etc?

I wonder why some people think bad driving is acceptable.

Last edited by Daniel4; 03-16-18 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 07:40 PM
mr_bill

BUS LANES

-mr. bill
Old 03-16-18, 07:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,346 Posts
The "must use" rules are not an impediment to cyclists going around obstructions. In fact, one can legally leave the bike lane for any number of reasons, including potholes, glass shards, or just about anything that renders them unsafe or otherwise, not suitable.

Not disputing that cops are citing cyclists for not using the lane provided, but that's on the cops, not the cyclists or anything that may be blocking it. I understand that some things claimed as "unsafe" may be debatable, such as how much broken glass is justification, but outright blockage by a parked vehicle is obvious and any citation issued under that condition is a serious abuse of police authority.

So, maybe instead of focusing on cars and trucks blocking the lane, maybe we should focus on identifying cops issuing citations on an "any port in a storm" basis, and have them or their commanders sanctioned and retrained.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-16-18, 11:41 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
The NYPD Is Cracking Down On Cyclists Riding Outside Bike Lanes: Gothamist
Old 03-17-18, 12:01 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,346 Posts
FWIW - that's a year old news.

Of course things probably haven't changed much since then.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-17-18, 12:56 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by FBinNY
FWIW - that's a year old news.

Of course things probably haven't changed much since then.
NYPD v Bike Kill story published just before Gothamist was shut down.

It is safe to strike the word “probably” and change “much” to “at all.”

What we owe Gothamist and DNAinfo.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-17-18 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-17-18, 01:14 AM
punkinevil

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I feel like this thread is losing focus, as they often do. I know I am partly to blame for bringing up the NYC must-use ordinance. My point really was if there is such an ordinance, it is completely reasonable that the bike lane be rideable. Additionally, I don't think we should just shrug and give bad actors a pass, saying is not a big deal. Personally, I am angered when someone does the wrong thing for their own convenience and winds up inconveniencing me. That's not even taking into account the added safety hazard. In these cases I now have to watch the traffic to my right, the vehicle stopped in front of me, how much room I'll have to pass it, whether it is going to door me, if I give enough clearance to avoid being doored will I be in the blind spot of the boxtruck passing on my right and can I split the lane, and can I swerve around the pedestrian who will pop out around the front of the vehicle parked in the bike lane, all while watching for the ever-present rim-crunching potholes. Yes, I am aware the city cycling requires a high level of attentiveness, but I don't need extra crap thrown in my way. And those little obstacles to add up. My commute to my client in Times Square takes about 30 minutes, 15 of it is moving time. I estimate about 10 of it is time wasted avoiding obstacles that shouldn't be in the bike lanes anyway.
Old 03-17-18, 01:29 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Here's story about a man blocking traffic in his neighbourhood because the authorities won't do anything about the speeding traffic.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4562627

There's a similar story a year earlier about another guy using a hair dryer to slow down traffic because it looks like a radar gun.
Old 03-17-18, 07:40 PM
mr_bill

Without comment:

Shopping cart.

-mr. bill
Old 03-18-18, 01:04 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,458 Times in 950 Posts
Is there a law in NYC that a car or delivery truck can't stop in a bike lane?
Old 03-18-18, 03:32 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Is there a law in NYC that a car or delivery truck can't stop in a bike lane?
No different legally than a car or delivery truck stopping in any other travel lane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.