Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spare inner tubes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Spare inner tubes

Old 06-01-20, 11:25 AM
krjt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spare inner tubes

I lost my under saddle kit that contained my tube, patch, tire irons, co2 and decided to order replacements. However when I read reviews of replacement tubes, both Continental and vittoria tubes had some rather negative reviews of poor quality. Anyone experience this or what are you folks using as your inner tubes. Years back I always used Michelin tubes and thought Contis would be good... any suggestions or are these just bad mechanics that don't know how to install tubes?

Thanks.
Old 06-01-20, 11:32 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I always buy Conti tubes. Never had a bad one.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 06-01-20, 11:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Originally Posted by krjt
both Continental and vittoria tubes had some rather negative reviews of poor quality. Anyone experience this or what are you folks using as your inner tubes. Years back I always used Michelin tubes and thought Contis would be good... any suggestions or are these just bad mechanics that don't know how to install tubes?
Probably a combination of things. Maybe a bad batch got out, but unlikely for name brands and even for discount name brands. Maybe somewhere between factory and user, they got handled or stored in a less than desirable way. Most likely and even I've done it myself, bad installation technique.

It's also more likely that a person having a negative experience will post a user review than someone that has a positive experience. I don't usually go by user reviews for actual purchasing, but I do read the better thought out and written ones that give some useful details.

Oh yeah...... I use Bell from the big box discount stores. Light enough for me. Or are we talking latex tubes? If so I know nothing useful.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-01-20 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-01-20, 11:41 AM
krjt

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No latex tubes. I love latex tubes , but enjoy the ease of using butyl tubes for everday rides.
Old 06-01-20, 11:55 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Dont sweat it too much. Ive tried MANY tubes over the decades. Chaoyang, Kenda, Schwalbe, Nokian, Mitas, the ones form the autoparts store, ... They all work fine. Name Brand or noname, doesn't seem to matter much. From memory, Ive had ONE el cheapo have a sticky valve, but thats it. I like light tubes with thin rubber. Folds up smaller and just feels a bit nicer.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 06-01-20, 03:52 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
I've been using Conti tubes for decades now. Race28 I think is the current name.
Old 06-01-20, 03:55 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I once heard—before the Internet—that people who have bad experiences are 7x as likely to talk about them as those who have positive experiences. I think that online user reviews make that imbalance even more extreme. So I'd say take a few negative reviews with a pinch of salt.
Old 06-01-20, 04:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
I think this thread was bad luck. Went out today and got a slow leak. Had to head home after only 10 miles. Made it back before it got too low. Haven't checked it yet to see the issue.

follow up...
It looked to be the little sharp barb from one of the big pine cones we have around here. Went in just at the edge of where the belt is. Really surprised that it leaked so slowly and I didn't have to stop and fix it. Still had some air in it when I went to bed last night. Completely flat this morning.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-02-20 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-01-20, 06:07 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I always use Continental tubes (Easy Tape rim tape too) and have never had a workmanship issue. Plus they have the snazzy orange valve caps!
Old 06-02-20, 06:23 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
I like Michelin tubes.. their smooth valve stems don't rip up my pump's head as quickly. The brass material also strikes me as more durable than eg. Conti stems.
For saddle bags get the AirComp version as they're smaller. For home use/install get the AirStop version (standard butyl weight).

OTOH, you don't therefore get that little nut to screw down your stem to the rim.
Old 06-02-20, 06:35 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
OTOH, you don't therefore get that little nut to screw down your stem to the rim.
It's funny, the only "defective" tube right out of the box I've ever had couldn't be used for an on-road repair was because that little nut was cross threaded from the manufacturer. I couldn't get it off the stem with my fingers and had to patch the old tube to get home. Since then I always remove and discard those nuts from every tube I use.
Old 06-02-20, 06:51 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
I wonder how many leaks were due to the tube getting pinched during installation? A friend ruined two new tubes (tight tire-he's not a novice). He bought a tire bead jack and says no problem now
Old 06-02-20, 09:27 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I wonder how many leaks were due to the tube getting pinched during installation? A friend ruined two new tubes (tight tire-he's not a novice). He bought a tire bead jack and says no problem now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oD-mr3dAEw
Does he put a little air in the tube before installation? I've seen plenty of long-time riders put completely-limp tubes into tires, and they should know better.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-02-20, 10:31 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
As others have said, people may be more likely to leave a negative review than a positive one. Inner tubes are probably an extreme example of this. Who is going to bother writing a good review for a tube? What do you even say? "Works great, doesn't leak..." ??? I've bought all kinds of tubes over the years, mostly the cheapest possible ones, and only had one or two strange blow-outs that I couldn't definitively nail down.

Two notes on tubes:
1. If you want to save some weight and rolling resistance, Schwalbe (and probably others) sell extra-light tubes that weigh half as much or less than a "normal" tube. They might be more vulnerable to punctures but I haven't gotten enough flats with mine to say for sure.
2. Tubes carried on the bike must be wrapped in something. Otherwise, over time, they will wear holes in the corners from bouncing around in your saddle bag. Then when you go to fix a flat, your spare will have dozens of little holes and be even more useless than the tube you just punctured! I use a couple layers of thin duct tape or masking tape. I'm surprised I don't see this tip given more often so I always try to mention it.
Old 06-02-20, 11:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
2. Tubes carried on the bike must be wrapped in something. Otherwise, over time, they will wear holes in the corners from bouncing around in your saddle bag. Then when you go to fix a flat, your spare will have dozens of little holes and be even more useless than the tube you just punctured! I use a couple layers of thin duct tape or masking tape. I'm surprised I don't see this tip given more often so I always try to mention it.
Recently read advice to use saran wrap (plastic cling film).. makes some sense.
Old 06-06-20, 11:48 PM
frizzen

Bikes: 1955 Hercules Royal Prince Fixed Gear

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I wonder how many leaks were due to the tube getting pinched during installation?
Every tube brand has a lot of negative comments. I think you nailed the reason. They used tire irons to pry the tire onto the rim and pinched it.
Old 06-07-20, 12:39 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I keep one on the bike, one ready to swap, and one in the crock pot... oh wait wrong topic
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-07-20, 07:34 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Sometimes you just have bad luck or get tubes from a bad batch. I bought some Presta valve tubes from MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) and they had a problem with the valve coming loose or off of the tube entirely.

Cheers
Old 06-08-20, 08:00 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I generally buy cheap generic tubes and only once had a problem, a leak where the valve stem was inserted. I share the opinion of the others above in that user error is the biggest factor; either during installation and inflation or overlooking rim/tire issues.
Old 06-08-20, 08:16 AM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
Another Continental user. Never had a problem with any of their products.