Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour XC Comp rear mech internals

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-20, 02:26 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts

I just overhauled an XC Comp rear derailleur from 1991 and thought it could be a useful reference for someone.

Cage and main body

Post that holds the spring. Notice the circle with a flat, which is what holds the cage to the main body.

Second view of post.

Into the main body. You can see where that circle with the flat threads into a ridge in the interior shaft. Also notice the spring hole at 7 o’clock position.

To be continued on next post...
Old 06-19-20, 02:31 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Notice how the right side of the spring tapers, so you can’t insert it incorrectly.

Spring inserted. Notice the outer tab aligned with the stop tab.

Cage has to be oriented like the red line and then rotated less than a full turn before inserting the cage stop screw.

Done!
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 06-19-20, 02:42 PM
noobinsf 

Forgot to mention that to remove the cage, I simply had to remove the cage stop screw and unspool the cage spring. It popped right off.
Old 06-19-20, 03:01 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Does anyone know the real difference between the XC Pro and XC Comp rear derailleurs? T-Mar ?

These units feel so nice- holding it- it feels solid; as you feel the motion and the spring tension, you feel how well it moves- They're just serious quality units. I can't really tell the difference between XC Pro or XC Comp. They both shift excellently... I like the faux carbon on the XC Comp- and the way the XC Pro's yellow "pops" more than XT's yellow- so you KNOW it's XC Pro.

Thanks noobinsf !

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-19-20, 03:30 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
This is interesting, I might need to pick your brain a bit, sometime soon. On my plain first generation XC, from 1985, I haven’t found a service guide yet, and want to at least grease the pulleys pretty soon. It looks a little more involved than just removing 1 screw per pulley, lol. 🤔😉
Old 06-19-20, 03:46 PM
noobinsf 

Originally Posted by stardognine
This is interesting, I might need to pick your brain a bit, sometime soon. On my plain first generation XC, from 1985, I haven’t found a service guide yet, and want to at least grease the pulleys pretty soon. It looks a little more involved than just removing 1 screw per pulley, lol. 🤔😉
Looking at a pic of the XC, it looks similar to the attachment of the Cyclone MK ii or LePree. Look at post 18 here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nto-place.html
Old 06-19-20, 03:57 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Looking at a pic of the XC, it looks similar to the attachment of the Cyclone MK ii or LePree. Look at post 18 here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nto-place.html
Thanks, I’ll definitely give that a good looking over, before having at it. 👌