Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tifosi Glasses

Old 07-01-20, 04:14 PM
MemRiverman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tifosi Glasses

Looking at getting a pair of Tifosi glasses. Trying to decide which style. I want the fototec. Do the styles with vents in top of lenses really help with fogging. I was looking at Podium but the humidity is horrendous here in Memphis and may need to reconsider a different style. Thoughts?
Old 07-01-20, 04:55 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I use Tifosi fototec rimless. Haven't had a problem in humidity.
Old 07-01-20, 05:04 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
If you ride in places where you hit shade then sun in rapid succession you may not want phototec as it doesn't respond as quickly as light conditions change

I do like tifosi though, using the aether now, had some other model before and both were good
after a few years my first pair did crack the lens in the thin section above the nose piece but I figured I got my money worth out of them
Old 07-01-20, 06:31 PM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I have Tifosi readers and they have the vents on top. They don't fog. Nice glasses at a reasonable price
Old 07-01-20, 07:12 PM
Hikebikerun

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 ; Felt Versa Speed 7

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts
I have the Tifosi Gunmetal/Light Night Fototec glasses, the have never fogged up on me and the field of view is excellent (no rims obscuring view).

The lenses are not very dark (lighter than I expected in full sun), but even so I am never squinting even in the CA sun. I would recommend.
Old 07-01-20, 08:11 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I have a pair of fototec tyrant, and they do sometimes fog up, especially uphill when there’s less breeze blowing over them. And the transition isn’t very fast. Nice comfortable glasses though.

I love my new pair of Swanks. They don’t fog at all, and are multi purpose. They have replaced goodr as my affordable shades of choice.

I wear the Fototec for early morning rides before clouds have burnt off. Any ride starting later in the day, I wear the Swanks. I also wear the swanks for pretty much anything I do outdoors.
Old 07-01-20, 08:28 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I have some podium XC and don't really have any foggy issues. On mtb rides if I stop for awhile they fog a bit but clear up again as soon as I start moving.
Old 07-03-20, 05:23 PM
Panther61

Bikes: 2018 FX4

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tifosi direct store is having a 25% off sale for July 4th and free shipping over $49. I was able to order a pair yesterday but they are out of many styles
Old 07-04-20, 02:23 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I have the Veloce fototec readers and they are my favorite glasses.
Old 07-04-20, 04:44 PM
MemRiverman

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
REI also has them at 25% off
Old 07-04-20, 06:38 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I use Tifosa Podiums glasses as well, they're ok, but for the price they're great. I've had a lot more expensive glasses, but they had plastic lenses and would get scratched, and replacement lenses were more money then just buying Tifosa glasses. I've also scratched the Tifosa lenses, but the replacement lenses are a lot cheaper than replacement lenses of other glasses. The Tifosa's I got came with Fototec lenses but I didn't like them because they didn't have enough change, they went from medium dark to a couple of shades darker but still medium and the couple of shades was barely noticeable, so when those got scratched up I didn't buy the Fototecs I got regular lenses they offer for my model.