Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo and Pro Tour Teams

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Old 01-13-20, 08:28 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

I was just looking over the equipment, that Pro Tour teams are using. Three of nineteen teams are only using Campy Group sets. Shimano is sure dominating the market. Quite a turn around over the past decades . KB
Old 01-17-20, 09:59 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Not the first time I've said that sometimes you have to give up quality and performance if you want the very best.

Most the pro teams like performance. I don't think anything beats Dura Ace for that. SRAM is easier to install, but if you want the best performance, the mechanic does not have so much to say.
Likes For Doge:
Old 01-18-20, 07:03 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Yep, agreed.KB
Old 01-19-20, 03:51 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Most the pro teams like performance.
They also like money.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 01-20-20, 06:04 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by asgelle
They also like money.
Maybe Campy is paying teams. I was told Shimano does not.
I can see smaller component mfg paying to get exposure, but they are small. Shimano wants to stay impartial. They spend in support.

I think the primary source of revenue for teams is getting eyeballs. And that generally comes from winning, although it may come from doing wheelies.
Old 01-21-20, 05:05 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
They also like money.
If Shimano ain't giving team Ineos any sponsorship money, then Shimano ain't giving any money to any lesser team to go racing either
Old 01-21-20, 06:39 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
If Shimano ain't giving team Ineos any sponsorship money, then Shimano ain't giving any money to any lesser team to go racing either
yep
Old 01-21-20, 08:31 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
My understanding is Shimano sponsor some teams (there’s a reason Sunweb used to be called Giant-Shimano), but a lot of other teams buy Shimano transmissions but use a mix and match of other components. EF, for example, ride Di2 Dura Ace, but with Cannondale cranksets and (last I saw) Mavic wheels, Look pedals. Ineos use Rotor cranks (well, Froome does). They couldn’t do that and be sponsored by Shimano.

Campagnolo sponsor Lotto and Cofidis, and those teams ride complete Campag.

from Ag2r’s website announcing their Eddy Merckx bikes for 2020;

https://www.cyclisme.ag2rlamondiale....x-jusque-2020/

“IN BRIEF

The components of Eddy Merckx 525

Wheels: MAVIC
Tires : VREDESTEIN
Pedals : LOOK
Kit stem-handlebar : DEDA
Crank - power meter : ROTOR
Chain : KMC
Cycling computer : LEZYNE
Bar tape : LIZARD SKINS
Bottle cages: ELITE”
No mention in there that there’s a pretty sweet Super Record EPS setup handling the shifting and stopping, so you can be pretty sure they’re riding Campagnolo by choice (they used to ride Shimano, it’ll be interesting to see if Bardet still goes with his oversized derailleur jockey wheels).
Old 01-21-20, 04:07 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
My understanding is Shimano sponsor some teams (there’s a reason Sunweb used to be called Giant-Shimano), but a lot of other teams buy Shimano transmissions but use a mix and match of other components. EF, for example, ride Di2 Dura Ace, but with Cannondale cranksets and (last I saw) Mavic wheels, Look pedals. Ineos use Rotor cranks (well, Froome does). They couldn’t do that and be sponsored by Shimano.

Campagnolo sponsor Lotto and Cofidis, and those teams ride complete Campag.

from Ag2r’s website announcing their Eddy Merckx bikes for 2020;

https://www.cyclisme.ag2rlamondiale....x-jusque-2020/

“IN BRIEF

The components of Eddy Merckx 525

Wheels: MAVIC
Tires : VREDESTEIN
Pedals : LOOK
Kit stem-handlebar : DEDA
Crank - power meter : ROTOR
Chain : KMC
Cycling computer : LEZYNE
Bar tape : LIZARD SKINS
Bottle cages: ELITE”
No mention in there that there’s a pretty sweet Super Record EPS setup handling the shifting and stopping, so you can be pretty sure they’re riding Campagnolo by choice (they used to ride Shimano, it’ll be interesting to see if Bardet still goes with his oversized derailleur jockey wheels).
I can see that happening. But I get the feeling that Shimano tries to remain neutral, and they prefer to be the supplier-and-partner rather than sponsor having to giving out money. And this makes sense. Sponsoring a team like Sunweb or Argos ain't going to gain Shimano anymore market share because the sort of people watching these events already know Shimano is the best bang for the bux. Every online groupset deal is compared to some Shimano groupset deal pretty much.
Old 01-21-20, 07:48 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I find it interesting that pro teams that are not being courted by manufacturers all migrated to Shimano. There must be some kind of compensation coming in through the back door. Both companies make really good stuff, why they all use one over the other has an explanation. We just don't see it.
Old 01-22-20, 04:18 PM
Riv-Lantis

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check SS, Surly Straggler, Surly Steamroller fixed, Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I work on Mercedes for a living. They have a reputation in the states for being a high end product with a lot of history behind it. People pay a hefty premium for the privilege to drive what they consider a superior car. Except they're not. They're paying a significant premium for image and wealth signaling. The quality and reliability on these newer Mercedes is poor at best, and I wouldn't tolerate some of the endemic issues we see with these cars on a Honda Fit, much less a $50-150K automobile.
I have a Prius C as our only car. Not a single mechanic or service advisor here would think of owning a Mercedes.
I bet it's the same way about Campy vs. Shimano in the pro pits. Campy may have the history and the bling factor behind it. All my bikes run Shimano.
Old 01-23-20, 02:06 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by riv-lantis
i work on mercedes for a living. They have a reputation in the states for being a high end product with a lot of history behind it. People pay a hefty premium for the privilege to drive what they consider a superior car. Except they're not. They're paying a significant premium for image and wealth signaling. The quality and reliability on these newer mercedes is poor at best, and i wouldn't tolerate some of the endemic issues we see with these cars on a honda fit, much less a $50-150k automobile.
I have a prius c as our only car. Not a single mechanic or service advisor here would think of owning a mercedes.
I bet it's the same way about campy vs. Shimano in the pro pits. Campy may have the history and the bling factor behind it. All my bikes run shimano.
👍👍👍
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 01-24-20, 06:04 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
"People pay a hefty premium for the privilege to drive what they consider a superior car. Except they're not."

This reminds me of an exchange student from Germany we had at our school back in the 70's. He commented that in Germany a Mercedes is a taxi, not a luxury car. That always stuck with me. My friend Rolf's dad, who was German immigrant, remarked that to have a Mercedes, you must be able to afford to own it, meaning they are high maintenance vehicles. Yes, I had one, just had to have it. Sold it within a year.
Old 01-24-20, 06:45 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

That German over engineering.
Old 01-24-20, 09:07 PM
Ninetimes

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts

This is a Sales and Marketing story, nothing else....................

Shamano is a big multinational company with a slew of products. Then there’s little Campagnolo.

Shamano muscled its way into the Peloton years ago with money and free groups.

Their budget dwarfed Campagnolo, as size does matter.

They want your eyeballs and they succeeded. The world is drowning in 105.

They basically ran Campagnolo into the ground and just out spent ‘em.

The Pros, they don’t care, as its all equal to them anyway. They have a mech working on their bike every night.

Eventually there will be no Campagnolo. Then up go the prices on everything.

Old 01-28-20, 08:25 AM
Doge

I was a Campy guy about 1982-2000. I switched to Shimano because it shifted better. I still think Campy may be more long term durable, and Shimano is more on the edge - but it works better.

The VP of Shimano Product and Development is local and gave some junior teams very good deals. He said, they don't give money to teams, but have this pro discount schedule that is the same for every team they support. If you see their bikes in the support pits the frames are off-brand. They are careful to not hang stuff on a Trek, or Giant, or Cervelo for support. I've seen them use unbranded Carbon - to Moots (which I assume was donated by Moots) as support frames.
Old 01-28-20, 11:56 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Doge
I was a Campy guy about 1982-2000. I switched to Shimano because it shifted better. I still think Campy may be more long term durable, and Shimano is more on the edge - but it works better.

The VP of Shimano Product and Development is local and gave some junior teams very good deals. He said, they don't give money to teams, but have this pro discount schedule that is the same for every team they support. If you see their bikes in the support pits the frames are off-brand. They are careful to not hang stuff on a Trek, or Giant, or Cervelo for support. I've seen them use unbranded Carbon - to Moots (which I assume was donated by Moots) as support frames.

I like Shimano
Old 01-28-20, 01:50 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Riv-Lantis
...a superior car. Except they're not. They're paying a significant premium for image and wealth signaling. The quality and reliability on these newer Mercedes is poor at best,...
I bet it's the same way about Campy vs. Shimano in the pro pits. Campy may have the history and the bling factor behind it. All my bikes run Shimano.
Campy and other Italian stuff is still fun. I'd rather (and I do) have Campy parts on my desk vs Shimano ones. Quality and reliability may not be the primary buying criteria for everything. I buy a car with different goal than what I buy a bike for.
For a bike - I like bling, being on the edge, being extreme. I buy blingy carbon seats that are less quality and lower reliability - but generate a lot more conversation - and are lighter. For the drive train - going to be a Shimano DA crank.

I have a E320 CDI with 225K miles on it so far. It costs more to keep than a new car.
But, I expect you know how that diesel drives on the I-70 through Utah, or Montana or S AZ...

I have not been able to duplicate that driving experience in several German and Japanese cars. It is not for prestige I have a 14 year old car.

So I understand why folks like Campy, or SRAM, or Rotor for a variety of reasons.