Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 03-12-20, 10:19 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts

Lads,

Due to COVID-19, the governor of Oregon has placed the state in a state of emergency (21 cases of COVID-19 in the entire STATE) and ordered that gatherings of 250 or more people are forbidden. As such, the governing body of most Oregon races (OBRA) has suspended the racing season for 4 weeks. Because of the governor's order, the USAC races in Oregon will probably also have to be canceled (based on allowable field size plus staff). They are giving the promoters the option to reschedule their events, but that would likely require reapplying for road permits and whatnot, so I'm not holding my breath. It seems that I'll be hitting BWR (if it's allowed to happen) with Z E R O race fitness in my legs.

Is anyone else feeling these ripples? What is to become of the promoters that barely eek out a living?
Old 03-12-20, 10:30 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Collegiate conference schedules have essentially been cancelled entirely already, but much of that is related to many colleges having shut down. Our road season is rather up in the air at the moment, most promoters seem to be taking a business as usual stance but it is unclear what state governments will mandate. Fortunately the road scene is so dead that we might be able to get away with the <250 cutoff without issue

Suppose we'll all be focused on Strava KOMs and racing on Zwift this year...
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 03-12-20, 10:44 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
We definitely have a lot of changes at work. No travel, most of the office is working from home, delayed shipments and work by partners, especially those in China.

Are you planning to do Dirty Circles? So far it hasn't been cancelled as far as I can tell. It is in WA, not OR and so not subject to the 250 person rule. As far as I can tell, there isn't a statewide cancellation policy in WA (just Seattle area counties), so it may go on as planned.
Old 03-12-20, 10:53 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
From Lamp

Dear PSIMET Racing:

The following message will be going out to all organizers that permitted in 2019, or so far in 2020, today. This message builds on what we sent to everyone on this list earlier this week:

The novel coronavirus COVID-19 has resulted in impacts to everyday lives around the world, as well as businesses, travel and events. USA Cycling has received several inquiries revolving around how the cycling community can cope with these impacts.

Due to the wide-ranging events and jurisdictions involved, USA Cycling is not pre-emptively requiring the postponement or cancellation of events. Rather it is up to each event organizer to work with their local government agencies and health providers to determine the risk associated with their event. USA Cycling policies and regulations never override civil laws, regulations and policies.

Organizers who are concerned that their event will be impacted should contact their USA Cycling Event Service Coordinator or Event Service Regional Manager, all of whom are prepared to assist in the case that events need to be rescheduled, postponed or if necessary cancelled.

Guidance for Event Organizers and Participants

Event organizers, participants, volunteers and staff are advised to follow the guidance set out by their local Health Departments as well as the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Many of these common-sense guidelines are good practice at all times – and also prevent common illnesses such as influenza.

· Follow basic hygiene procedures as outlined by the CDC on their website.

· Event Organizers should review the specific event suggestions made by the CDC here.

Organizers should also consult with their event medical team to ensure the following:

· There is a plan with event medical in case anyone appears with symptoms at the event

· That all responders have appropriate personal protective equipment

· All parties are familiar with the various decision makers and have all contact information required

· The medical team conducts an event briefing with all stakeholders

Event staff should also contact their local health department or other government agencies for any specific restrictions or guidelines in their jurisdiction.

Cycling Specific Examples

After reviewing the information in the links above, consider how you can make your event safer. Below are just a few examples to point out the types of situations we see in our sport. Think about how you can integrate the suggestions made by the CDC into the specific requirements of your event. Examples:

Riders at a Gran Fondo stop at an aid station to refill bottles out of large water containers and take food from trays.

Consider alternative methods to having each rider putting hands on a cooler. Alternatives could be individual bottles of water or a running faucet. Instead of riders reaching for communal food on trays, food may be set out in individual containers (ie. small cups). As outlined by the CDC, provide plenty of prevention supplies available for riders, staff and volunteers and train these parties in its proper use.

A volunteer/staff member comes to your event with symptoms.

No matter the cause, volunteers or staff with symptoms of any contagious illness should be released from duty and sent home or to seek appropriate care.

A volunteer holds all riders at the start of a road time trial.

Consider having all riders start with a foot on the ground instead.

Riders are required to "sign in" on a sheet before the start of your race.

Instead have the riders advise a designated official or volunteer of their verbal "sign in" and have the single commissaire or volunteer mark them off on a sheet.

Riders are required to have bicycles checked and/or measured.

In the interim, USA Cycling is authorizing visual inspections to reduce touching of equipment passed between riders, mechanics and officials.

Useful Links:

General COVID-19 Information: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

CDC Event Organizer COVID-19 Guidance:https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-covid-19.html

Signs and Symptoms of COVID-19: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019.../symptoms.html

USA Cycling Contacts: https://www.usacycling.org/about-us/contact-us

UCI Information on COVID-19: https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press...ional-calendar

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-12-20, 11:09 AM
Cypress

Originally Posted by cmh
We definitely have a lot of changes at work. No travel, most of the office is working from home, delayed shipments and work by partners, especially those in China.

Are you planning to do Dirty Circles? So far it hasn't been cancelled as far as I can tell. It is in WA, not OR and so not subject to the 250 person rule. As far as I can tell, there isn't a statewide cancellation policy in WA (just Seattle area counties), so it may go on as planned.
I'm not sure about DC. 4 hours of driving, a USAC license, plus entry fees, all for a 43-mile dead flat P/1/2/3 road race... That's a tough pill to swallow.
Old 03-12-20, 11:55 AM
cmh

Originally Posted by Cypress
I'm not sure about DC. 4 hours of driving, a USAC license, plus entry fees, all for a 43-mile dead flat P/1/2/3 road race... That's a tough pill to swallow.
I'd like to skip it based on the weather forecast, but my son really wants to do it so I might be going anyway. I told him doing his very first road race in 37 degree with 'frozen mix' precipitation might not be the best experience. He still insists we go.
Likes For cmh:
Old 03-12-20, 12:02 PM
cmh

I just read that WSBA has cancelled all races for the next 4 weeks. So no Dirty Circles.
Old 03-12-20, 12:06 PM
Cypress

Originally Posted by cmh
I just read that WSBA has cancelled all races for the next 4 weeks. So no Dirty Circles.
Figures.
Old 03-12-20, 12:53 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
One of my former racing teams canceled group rides to comply with local requirements for gatherings. IMO, once a local health agency puts requirements on promoters / organizers to take action if participants exhibit ABC symptoms or assure XYZ behavior, it just gets too hard and not worth it. I think all the local health departments are going to follow suit with limits and requirements for gatherings.
Old 03-12-20, 01:39 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
We telecommute 2 days a week, and spoke with management about sending everyone home until this blows over. We were told its a privilege, don't be a fear monger, and its not a big deal (just a bad flu). That was prior to last nights blow up (leagues cancelling, Hanks, no Travel, etc.). Today our union is stepping in and sending us home on Friday. It wasn't just me speaking up, but some just don't see it as a big issue. We don't have any cases in this county but many are being turned away unless they've traveled to a China or Italy, even though Los Angeles, Riverside, and Orange Counties have locally acquired cases.

County residents also find it odd that other counties encircling us are getting cases in droves and its radio silence here.

In regards to racing, I hope promoters just suspend the season for a few weeks. IMO, bike racing is a safe activity (with the exception of porta potties lol) but people aren't going to show and its going to be a huge financial hit to them. Hopefully it clears up by BWR.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 03-12-20, 01:54 PM
Cypress

One positive thing about a state of emergency is that the state will then be able to request federal funding. If this gets to the point that people's incomes are adversely effected, there may be a way to soothe the sting.
Old 03-12-20, 03:36 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Collegiate conference schedules have essentially been cancelled entirely already, but much of that is related to many colleges having shut down. Our road season is rather up in the air at the moment, most promoters seem to be taking a business as usual stance but it is unclear what state governments will mandate. Fortunately the road scene is so dead that we might be able to get away with the <250 cutoff without issue

Suppose we'll all be focused on Strava KOMs and racing on Zwift this year...
I was just telling my wife I was surprised they hadn't yet cancelled my first race of the season (this weekend) and she reminded that my amateur bike race would not have any large crowds, except maybe sign in. Scotland does have a flourishing road scene though. Full fields throughout the season.
Likes For Yep:
Old 03-12-20, 05:14 PM
cmh

Seattle just cancelled K-12 schools for 6 weeks. I don't have any idea if they are going to try to make up all that time over the summer.

Portland schools are still on, but my kid's middle school track practices are all cancelled. Doesn't make a lot of sense - gather the kids together indoors, but cancel the time they are all running outside? Anyway, I think it goes along with cancelling all sports and extra gatherings.
Old 03-13-20, 08:16 AM
Cypress

Oregon has closed all schools until the end of the month, at minimum.
Old 03-13-20, 09:03 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
SCNCA races cancelled next four weeks
Old 03-13-20, 11:32 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by TMonk
SCNCA races cancelled next four weeks
This is a global conspiracy to keep me from upgrading to Cat 3 and winning this years Nats RR.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 03-13-20, 01:51 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
One of the major races in Texas (Corsicana) was just canceled. I think in short order everything will be canceled. Including official group rides (i.e shops and official organizations).
Old 03-13-20, 01:53 PM
cmh

Originally Posted by Cypress
Oregon has closed all schools until the end of the month, at minimum.
Yep - my kids are home for a 3 week spring break. And I thought it was hard to work from home with my dog distracting me...
Likes For cmh:
Old 03-13-20, 03:45 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Local(ish) training crit series just cancelled the last two races. Two other road races were cancelled a couple of hours later. I'm expecting any race that uses a school as a venue to disappear shortly
Old 03-14-20, 10:09 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Dignity Health Center, formerly the Stub Hub Center, has canceled all events. Velo Sports Center, the indoor velodrome is part of the complex so racing and clinics are canceled through the end of March. Training sessions are still on and VSC has put emphasis of following CDC guidelines for hygiene for athlete while training. VSC has instituted enhanced cleaning and sanitation. We plan on attending training sessions, if available.

Chico Stage Race postponed until September.
Old 03-14-20, 10:41 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,840 Times in 4,390 Posts
L.A. schools closed for now. The local news had a story about small businesses which are being affected, or should I say, crushed. Small restaurants are very slow as are salons, barber shops, etc. They took their cameras into some of these stores and it was sad.
Old 03-14-20, 12:23 PM
Cypress

Originally Posted by big john
L.A. schools closed for now. The local news had a story about small businesses which are being affected, or should I say, crushed. Small restaurants are very slow as are salons, barber shops, etc. They took their cameras into some of these stores and it was sad.
I got my hair cut yesterday after work and I was one of 6 people for the DAY. The second I walked in they looked at me in a “do you look sick” kind of way before greeting me. They also asked how I was feeling before allowing me to get in the chair.
Old 03-15-20, 03:40 AM
gerundium

Bikes: BMC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I wish you all the best over there! It's blowing up now in the Netherlands as well and if italy and such is anything to go by, it's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better sadly.
Old 03-15-20, 08:16 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

USA Cycling suspended all permits until April 5th and recommends canceling group rides, meetings and gatherings - social distancing.
Old 03-15-20, 10:06 AM
furiousferret

It's not comforting that I get more frequent and concise updates from USA Cycling and my Air Conditioning company than our local government or CDC.

I'm not sure why my AC company is sending me emails about COVID 19 is a bit overkill but its cool they care!
Likes For furiousferret:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.