Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stuck with a Giant Contend SL1 2019

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-12-20, 03:05 AM
Popcoin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys. I bought a gaint contend SL1 2019 but the frame is to big and I cannot take it back. It's a medium size but I'm 5' 5" and now after everything I know I need a small (very bad help from the shop) its basically new done under 200miles. Can anyone suggest sites where I could swap or sell without losing to much money? Thanks
Old 04-12-20, 04:45 AM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
I've seen one on ebay in the small used going for nearly $800 that says it has never been ridden so I guess the $7 to 800 range.
Old 04-12-20, 04:57 AM
Tpcorr

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 1987 Cannondale SR500 105, Univega Nuovo Sport

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Popcoin and welcome to BF. Most reputable shops want you to be happy with your purchase. The shops I deal with will allow you to exchange your new bike within 30 days of your purchase if you're unhappy with it. Even if you're no longer within that 30 day return period I would return to the shop, explain the issue, and try to exchange your bike for one that fits you properly. Even if you had to add some money to the exchange this may be a better way to go.

If you've already reached out to your bike shop and they won't help you, well first of all shame on them, secondly I guess your only other recourse would be to post it on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace, or the like. In this covid-19 world we are now living in these sales avenues may not be that active, I'm not sure though. I think if you go this route you may not get what you perceive your bike to be worth.

Lastly, I guess you could try to "make the bike fit" by trying a shorter stem. Doing this may negatively impact the handling of the bike, so there's that.

Good luck!

Tom
Old 04-13-20, 04:09 AM
Popcoin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done so few miles on the bike I cannot lose that much money for now. I think I will make the bike fit as you said. Thanks. I didn't know it would be that had to find a 60mm gaint stem. I'm on a waiting list though.
Old 04-13-20, 04:19 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Popcoin
I've done so few miles on the bike I cannot lose that much money for now. I think I will make the bike fit as you said. Thanks. I didn't know it would be that had to find a 60mm gaint stem. I'm on a waiting list though.
You do not have to use a Giant stem. There are many different branded stems on the market that would be a seamless replacement. If you are looking to keep the bike as new, that's different.
Old 04-13-20, 04:34 AM
Popcoin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
You do not have to use a Giant stem. There are many different branded stems on the market that would be a seamless replacement. If you are looking to keep the bike as new, that's different.

Hey, thanks. Does it not matter about the oil reservoir thing at the front. are they all universal?
Old 04-13-20, 05:14 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Hey, thanks. Does it not matter about the oil reservoir thing at the front. are they all universal?
Do you mean the cap on top of the steerer tube? There is no oil in that, it is what secures the tube, makes it look good and keep junk from falling into the fork. You just unbolt the stem caps, remove the cap on the steerer tube, slide the stem on and torque it all to specs. Plenty of YouTube stuff to help if you need it.
Old 04-13-20, 05:20 AM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
According to Giant, the hydro master cylinder can only be mounted onto the Giant Contact SL, Contact, or Connect stems.
This is probably due to the unique spacing of the 4x4mm mounting bolts. Any non Giant stem would have to have the
exact same spacing for the master cylinder to be safely mounted onto The stem. Unlikely that anything non Giant would
be compatible, so it is not a universal mounting for this system.
Old 04-13-20, 06:41 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by onsay99
According to Giant, the hydro master cylinder can only be mounted onto the Giant Contact SL, Contact, or Connect stems.
This is probably due to the unique spacing of the 4x4mm mounting bolts. Any non Giant stem would have to have the
exact same spacing for the master cylinder to be safely mounted onto The stem. Unlikely that anything non Giant would
be compatible, so it is not a universal mounting for this system.
Giant doesn't differentiate between disc or rim brakes in their parts listing. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/connect-1-1-8-stem
I do see the reference you mention in their hydo disc brake user manual.
Old 04-13-20, 07:24 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Looking at the geo specs of the two sizes there is very little difference that cannot be overcome by a proper stem swap. See what the dealer has available in a shorter stem that works on that bike, or make an adapter so you can mount the reservoir on the stem of your choice.
Old 04-13-20, 07:42 AM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 51 Posts
I have this bike...you cannot use 3rd party stems b/c of the hydro-mech brakes. You can buy a shorter/longer stem...i actually have the M/L size bike and i went larger (one size up) basically the stem that is on the XL bike.

Good luck man.

JAG
Old 04-13-20, 08:35 AM
Popcoin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that clears things up. Thanks I'll order a gaint connect stem. Cheers
Old 04-13-20, 12:39 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Hey guys. I bought a gaint contend SL1 2019 but the frame is to big and I cannot take it back. It's a medium size but I'm 5' 5" and now after everything I know I need a small (very bad help from the shop) its basically new done under 200miles. Can anyone suggest sites where I could swap or sell without losing to much money? Thanks
Did you test ride it first, did you test ride multiple sizes? Did the shop suggest/fit you on a bike that was too big? did they tell you it was a little big or did they act like it was the right size?

If the latter I would do my best to not give that shop any more of my money, I hope you can support some other local bike shop.