Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Choosing between Univega Metrofive and Schwinn Mirada

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 10:00 PM
bcbdefg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hoping for some insight and opinions on these two bikes I am planning to meet up with this week. The Univega Metrofive is 1989 give or take, and the Schwinn Mirada is probably 1986 or 87 based on similar images on google, but scanned catalog is from 1985. I managed to find track down catalog scans of possible specs also. Hate to ask as a new poster, but is someone willing to help me post the photos? They're both really pretty and clean looking, appear to be in good condition, and the sellers each say are okay to ride and shift well.

I'm looking for a casual bike to ride around with and I'm willing to put some effort into learning how to service bikes. Consider me an open-minded newbie who actually won't give up. Of course they're kinda different from each other though both are well within my budget, they are asking 100 and 150 respectively. Any thoughts on the value of each of these bikes and which would be the better choice for me? Any help is super appreciated!
Old 05-19-20, 07:12 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
Gallery - https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/17879472

Univega:

Schwinn:

It's almost apples to oranges. The Univega is most likely hi-ten steel, with steel wheels, cheap cruiser brakes, and only five speeds. It looks like Univega's version of a late '70s Schwinn Collegiate or the like. The Schwinn is CroMo steel, aluminum wheels, cantilever brakes, 15 speed, etc. The modified mixte frame design of the Schwinn is definitely superior. Weight difference of three pounds, but it will feel like a lot more since a major chunk of that difference is in the wheels. 26" vs 27" wheels is a matter of preference; for future reference, 26" tires will probably be easier to source as time passes.

They both appear to be in great shape for their age, but close-ups of the components would say more. They're either both overpriced or both reasonably priced, depending on the market. Between the two, I'd say the Schwinn is easily worth 50% more.

The one advantage the Univega has, if they'd be of use to you, is that it already has fenders installed.

Last edited by madpogue; 05-19-20 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-19-20, 12:47 PM
bcbdefg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes those are the ones. Thanks for your reply. I definitely get how it's basically apples to oranges. The sellers were able to send me some closer up photos, though I'm not sure I'm the best judge of the condition like what exactly to look for. The specs you've listed are mostly on point from my understanding/best newbie guesses. In terms of owning and maintaining and repairing these assuming they're in okayish condition would you say one of these appears more easygoing than the other like based on the hardware? The Schwinn seems like it would be less of a hassle for the availability of parts. I do like that the Univega has fenders and I don't care for many speeds.
Old 05-19-20, 02:04 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Fenders are not expensive -- the Schwinn is a better bike, and if it fits, that's the one I would get.