Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Unstable when no hands on bars

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-07-20, 10:56 AM
Holm

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Im wondering if there is an explantion to this or the bike just has a weird geometry.

When i ride my bike its like the front wheel drags me off course (both left and right). It nearly impossible to ride no hands. when i let go of the bars the bike just wanna go left or rigt and tip over.

Headset i a hope, its not too tight and no slack. Bearings put in correct (checked thrice)

Tires are michelin slicks on miche rims

Frame fits me and reach is same as my other bikes.

Whats happening?
Old 06-07-20, 12:07 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Holm
Im wondering if there is an explantion to this or the bike just has a weird geometry.

When i ride my bike its like the front wheel drags me off course (both left and right). It nearly impossible to ride no hands. when i let go of the bars the bike just wanna go left or rigt and tip over.

Headset i a hope, its not too tight and no slack. Bearings put in correct (checked thrice)

Tires are michelin slicks on miche rims

Frame fits me and reach is same as my other bikes.

Whats happening?
Inner ear infection?
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 06-07-20, 12:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
It could be a lot of things, Headset adjustment (or alignment), structural (cracks starting) or a number of other causes or simply "quick steering"" geometry, To make bikes steer quicker, one can 1) steepen the headtube and fork, 2) increase the fork rake (not intuitive but trust me) or 3) shorten the overall wheelbase (this has much less dramatic effect). A lighter front wheel, especially rims and tire/tube will also speed up steering.

1) and 2) are tightly linked and can have a dramatic effect with small changes.

I raced a bike with a 75 degree headtube angle. Largish frame. It had the same fork as the smaller frames of that model that came with more "normal" headtube angles. By modern standards, a lot of rake. The steering was so quick I could not comfortably ride no-hands the first month and a half of the season but as my riding got smother and I trusted the bike more, I found I could ride it no-hands anytime and in fact loved that I could steer around stuff easily no-hands. Now on that bike, a less than perfect headset flat out didn't work! My Peter Mooney is a far more forgiving bike (shallower head tube and less fork rake) and I rode the Campy HS that Peter installed for about 25,000 miles. It was pretty beat up wen I replaced it! Same headset in my racing bike was usable for less than 6000 miles.

Try parking a bike you like against a wall. Park this bike beside leaning on it so the handlebar tops line up. Step back and look at the two. Steeper fork? More fork rake? Could well be the answer. A fork with less rake (or having a framebuilder straightening a steel fork a little will slow the steering. (Probably need a paint job after. Straightening a fork is bending cold hard steel. Not a gentle operation. But it is how that fork got raked n the first place.)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-07-20 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-07-20, 02:11 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Every time I've had a bike that pulled to one side, it was due to frame alignment. Folks have blogged on techniques for checking frame alignment that don't require any special tools. If it turns out that your frame or fork are crooked, then of course you have to decide if that's a problem you want to tackle on your own.
Old 06-07-20, 02:15 PM
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Also check that your wheels are properly centered in the dropouts and secured, which is a pretty good idea to check anyway whenever the bike handling is getting squirrely for some reason.
Likes For J.C. Koto:
Old 06-07-20, 05:54 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 381 Posts
It can be a lot of things. The most common problem is a misalignment somewhere; perhaps the fork isn't straight, and the front wheel is not perpendicular to the road or the bike frame. A misalignment of the rear wheel can also cause the bike to track incorrectly, and force the front wheel out of alignment as it compensates. A bent steering tube or loose headset can also be the culprit.
Old 06-07-20, 06:45 PM
semroc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 60 Posts
I just had all three of my road bike frame, and fork checked and realigned. All were out of alignment. All were slightly squirrely before, now track straight with no hands. It's a little stressful holding your bike with everything you got while a mechanic straightens your frame. But very much worth it. Make sure you go to a top notch mechanic. Good luck.
Old 06-07-20, 07:05 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
road slanted
Old 06-07-20, 07:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Of course something designed to move is more unstable when not being held to stabilize it. My water just drops on the floor when I don't use a cup.

My top recommendation is to use your hands so you can steer the bike and keep it stabilized.
Old 06-08-20, 04:44 AM
Holm

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I think I need to check the steerer tube alignment.... Everything else looks good.

Thanks a bunch

Holm
Old 06-08-20, 04:50 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Some bikes are more stable no-handed than others. What kind of bike is this?
Old 06-08-20, 04:56 AM
Holm

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Some bikes are more stable no-handed than others. What kind of bike is this?
Its a steel bike. I thought in the beginning that it was just me noticing the difference between this bike and my other bike but its so crazy its beyond "twitchy" or "loose" or anything. This badboy is a hazard at high AND low speeds now. When I corner downhill the bike is hard to keep in a straight line and in low speeds it tips over momentarily as I let go of the handlebars.

Im now in search for a good tutorial to see if the headtube is misaligned. Too bad as its a pretty sweet steel frame. Also sent the manufacturer a request what to do..
Old 06-08-20, 05:12 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Its a steel bike. I thought in the beginning that it was just me noticing the difference between this bike and my other bike but its so crazy its beyond "twitchy" or "loose" or anything. This badboy is a hazard at high AND low speeds now. When I corner downhill the bike is hard to keep in a straight line and in low speeds it tips over momentarily as I let go of the handlebars.

Im now in search for a good tutorial to see if the headtube is misaligned. Too bad as its a pretty sweet steel frame. Also sent the manufacturer a request what to do..
“Steel” doss not give much helpful info, but I’ll just assume you are not interested in knowing if the bike is less stable as a byproduct of design.

I would look more at the headset. Make sure the head tube faces are aligned, and also that the cups are in straight. The slightest misalignment can cause just enough binding to keep the wheel from freely turning where it wants to go. This was an issue with my Soma Fog Cutter.... the solution was getting the head tube faced. Most new frames don’t need this anymore, but occasionally one slips through Quality Control (who were apparently asleep on the job when my frame rolled past).

Last edited by Kapusta; 06-08-20 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-08-20, 05:28 AM
Holm

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
but I’ll just assume you are not interested in knowing if the bike is less stable as a byproduct of design.
Im just looking for the cause of the error. I know bad steering when I see one. This is not a design issue.
Old 06-08-20, 05:32 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

You can check the headtube allignment by removing the front fork and inserting a log straight rod -alluminium, steel or wood. Remove the seatpost and do the same there. Then look at the bike from the very front. The long rods will show whether the headtube lines up perfectly with the seatube.

Oh, bad no hands riding can be a result of a slightly bent front fork. The fork legs can be either pushed to one side or one fork leg can be slightly behind the other. I'd get the front fork checked for alignment too.

Good luck and cheers

Another method that might show up any poor alignment issues is this.

Find or create a small wet area on pavement, ride the bike straight through that wet spot and then go back and see if there are one or two tire tracks. If there are two tire tracks and you rode straight through the we spot then it means something is out of alignment.

Last edited by Miele Man; 06-08-20 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Added comment
Old 06-08-20, 05:55 AM
Holm

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Miele Man
Old 06-08-20, 08:01 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts
I had this same exact issue after a complete rebuild of a bike. Turned out that I had unknowingly inverted the upper and lower bearing cups for the headset. On this particular bike, like most bikes, the two cups are only slightly different. Or should I say that looking at the two of them it would appear that it doesn't matter which cup goes on the top or bottom.
But it does matter, and it's enough that if they're installed in the wrong side it will afffect bearing adjustment, and cause this imbalance like you're having. Once I re-installed them properly the bike tracked straight as it should.

Dan
Old 06-08-20, 08:13 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I'll give you a more serious answer.

Possibility 1. Something up with the fork. I just went through this. I had a Hylix carbon from eBay. It had some integrated race that the bearing sat directly on. No amount of bearing swaps and adjustment could get it right. On a stand, I had it where it seemed ok but offered me the most terrifying ride I've ever had. Forget sitting up, I couldn't even let go long enough to take a drink. This was on the best handling and most stable bike I've owned. It turns out that the fork just sucks, and that integrated race causes really fine but uneven drag, causing the bike to track weird. I put the steel fork back on, and I've got my 60mph bike back.

Possibility 2. Cable too tight or too long that's actually causing it to push the handlebar off neutral. Seems odd but I've seen it.

Possibility 3. A crooked seat.

Most everything else mentioned could be true too. I don't think it's an alignment issue, since most of us rode Huffys and other junk all over the neighborhood without hands.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 06-08-20, 08:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Steel bike? The magnetic North Pole is shifting around a lot right now. Just sayin'.
Old 06-08-20, 08:50 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
When I corner downhill the bike is hard to keep in a straight line

Going in a straight line around a corner is often called a crash.
Old 06-08-20, 09:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
road slanted
Roads are crowned for draining water ..
Old 06-08-20, 09:49 AM
Holm

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Going in a straight line around a corner is often called a crash.
yes! Lost in translation here. i dont know how to explain? Holding a steady curve/line,?!?
Old 06-08-20, 10:05 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The OP is being purposely vague about the type of bicycle. Is it a threaded or threadless steerer tube? If threaded, I'd say that he shouldn't discount the too-tight headset as a cause...
Old 06-08-20, 10:09 AM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Im just looking for the cause of the error. I know bad steering when I see one. This is not a design issue.
Design could be things such as frame geometry, if it's a race type frame it could be 'twitchy' as opposed to a more laid back endurance or touring frame.
Likes For taco2ewsday:
Old 06-08-20, 10:18 AM
u235

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
The OP is being purposely vague about the type of bicycle. Is it a threaded or threadless steerer tube? If threaded, I'd say that he shouldn't discount the too-tight headset as a cause...
I was browsing through the comments and about to ask that myself. I think it was mentioned earlier but seemed to be glossed over. Check the tightness and movement of the headset. Pick up the bike with the back higher or lean it front down a little on a stand, turn the wheel and let go and notice how easy or if it goes back to straight. That is obviously not a scientific test but even with a slight down angle, the bars should freely return close to center on their own. Even a threadless can be too tight and cause issues with no hands.
Likes For u235:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.