Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano BR-AT50 replacement

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-20, 06:27 AM
egpotter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I just bought a Panasonic Touring deluxe, which with cantilever BR-AT50. I am very new to bike mechanics and do not know which newer cantilever I could buy to replace them.

Best regards,
Eduardo
Old 06-27-20, 07:06 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Those look to be pretty standard. I suspect almost anything could replace them. But why do they need replacement?

N.B. some Shimano cantilever and V-brakes use a plastic shroud to retain the spring. Those are to be avoided, as the plastic tends to crack and fail to hold the spring securely.
Old 06-27-20, 07:57 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by egpotter
Hello,

I just bought a Panasonic Touring deluxe, which with cantilever BR-AT50. I am very new to bike mechanics and do not know which newer cantilever I could buy to replace them.

Best regards,
Eduardo
You have to kind of be careful- a lot of older bikes have the brake posts set closer together than more modern bikes. Newer brakes are designed to those newer standards on newer bikes- so a brake like the Tektro CR720 will most likely not work on a pre-1990-ish bike- especially on the front.

If I were to do this- I would go for either the Shimano BR-M732 or the BR-MT62 (pretty much the same thing), then the BR-MC70, but I'd much rather get either of the other 2. If you wanted a lower profile brake- I've had luck with the Suntour XC Pro- but the housing can get kind of tight if the front posts are too close together. (I had to deflate the front tires to get the wheels out).

MC70M732MT62 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Grail Brakes by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-29-20, 03:18 AM
egpotter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the replies. Based on them I will go for a deep clean and change the Cantilever cable instead of changing it, Really appreciated your answers!
Old 06-29-20, 08:20 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by egpotter
Thanks a lot for the replies. Based on them I will go for a deep clean and change the Cantilever cable instead of changing it, Really appreciated your answers!
Best answer, I think. ✌️ I just got a Miyata six ten with these same old cantilevers, and the more I look at them, the more I like them. I still need to clean mine up too, but past experience tells me, that cleaning and re-greasing the canti posts generally fixes everything wrong with them. Unless there are cable problems. 🤔😉

BTW, I’ve recently seen some pics of these, where a newer & cooler looking yoke (straddle cable hanger) really makes them look good. 😎

Last edited by stardognine; 06-29-20 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-29-20, 08:44 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Those look to be pretty standard. I suspect almost anything could replace them. But why do they need replacement?

N.B. some Shimano cantilever and V-brakes use a plastic shroud to retain the spring. Those are to be avoided, as the plastic tends to crack and fail to hold the spring securely.
Yeah, I got what I thought was a smoking deal on some used XT (I think) brakes until I noticed that and one of the shrouds had the hole the end of the spring inserts into broken/enlarged, so adjusting them was a real pain.