Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Three saddles....questions....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-20, 01:21 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Trying to find a new saddle...(yes, ugh).....

SADDLE #1 -----------------> have run the good ole' PB Forte Pro saddle on 2 bikes for a few yaers that have served well. Now trying to reduce perineum numbness (prostate mercy)...LOL...

SADDLE #2 -----------------> Tried Toseek with large cutout and one thin layer of cush. (Very hard....I can do it, but not something I'd want to live with long term)

SADDLE #3 -----------------> So.....Selle Italia Superflow (I got the TM version since cheapest) and seems like a good blend of the 2 above.......my left sit bone gets a little sore from the firmness vs the ole' forte....Maybe my sit bones are uneven?.....BUT....perineum numbness definitely gone. (nice)

QUESTION #1 -------> Does anybody know if the "TM" version's "Extra Padding" has more than the others...(i.e. regular Superflow, TI Superflow, Carbonio Superflow, etc.) Selle's webiste leaves A LOT to be desired!

QUESTION #2 -------> Anybody been in a similar boat to mine & have advice?? Maybe other saddles to try????

TIA very much!!!
Old 06-27-20, 01:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Seems like you went from a small cutout to a really large and a humongous cutout. For me, I'd want something between the saddle on the left and the selle italia in the middle.

Fore/aft and tilt can make a big difference on how saddle feels with your perineum. If you haven't been trying various positions of those adjustments then do so. Don't think you have to do what others do.
Old 06-27-20, 02:47 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
fwiw, i've been liking the Selle Italia Superflow SP-01.. the cutout at the rear allows both halves to independently flex a tiny bit (supposedly can help with minor differential leg lengths too).. I don't think padding changes really between the various lines (TM, Ti, Carbonio, etc.). Chain Reaction has some decent pricing on them at the moment FYI.

Old 06-27-20, 03:12 PM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Iride01 ------- Thanks for the feedback! Ya, the cutout differential is actually not so huge in reality. (Or at least not to me). I'm 6'2" (188cm) and 200lbs right now (like to be closer to 190) but the Forte's cutout is almost negligible to me. I feel like I needed as much cutout as the Selle or Toseek just to *feel* the significance. I'm also gonna try & 'test' a Romin by Specialized as that's about the only thing that really seems in between without moving to some type of "short" saddle which I don't think would work for me. (I'm tall and move around quite a bit as I ride all kinds of roads)

Sy -------- Ya know.....I actually keep eyeing that saddle. (I'm abusing Amazon at the moment so I've got easy returns to "test" with...har har). But I like the idea of an 'independent' flex on a saddle like that. I may just try that one too.
Old 06-27-20, 07:12 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I recommend looking into the Selle SMP, especially the TRK if you like padding. It's the best I've found for preventing perineal numbness, though I found the SMO before I got to Selle Italia's offerings.
Old 06-27-20, 08:13 PM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by loimpact
my left sit bone gets a little sore from the firmness vs the ole' forte....Maybe my sit bones are uneven?
Well, for me this is a very reliable hint that seat height is significantly higher than it should be - this causes asymmetrical seating position as body is forced to choose which side of the body will suffer (it'll try to protect the dominant side of the body). Cobb San Remo worked great for me for perineal pressure - no pressure at all. But this pressure depends a lot on the saddle angle - as with any other seat. Try changing seat angle from completely flat to, say, 3 degrees nose up - in 0.5 degree increments at a time, or even less. Difference is usually striking, at least for me it is. E.g. with San Remo for me in my current riding position 0.7 to 1 degree work best, less or more are both worse - which is why adjusting seat angle by sight only is IMHO completely useless.
Old 06-27-20, 09:17 PM
loimpact

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
philbob57 ----- Thanks for the suggestion! Those look quite fluffy. I'd done a week long demo on the standard SMP Selle but just found it too "one position" for me. Though that was a few years ago & maybe I'd feel different now. (Gonna exhaust more traditional saddles first)

Oso ------- I've been professionally fitted so I'm definitely in the proper position on both of my bikes. Again....I truly just think it's a physical anomaly for me. On the Forte saddle, there's enough cushion (and flex, I should say too, especially at its age) that I just don't think it comes to light. Perhaps over time, that tissue will toughen. (I forget about it mid-ride but then feel it right away on a fresh ride after a day off) Truth told, however....I've only been testing for several ride days so far however.

I just picked up the Spesh Romin so gonna ride that tomorrow. (Did a spin around the block in baggy shorts & feels similar to the Selle Superflow so not sure if I'll feel it's any better but we'll see)

Old 06-27-20, 09:52 PM
pattrick

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Reading online vendors reviews can help.

Try going to vendors like Bike Tires Direct and read the reviews of the saddles you are interested in. Most will give you a clue of the padding or lack of ,and some of the nuances that may not seem obvious. If your looking for a little padding in an Italia design with a cut out check the Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Super flow. I have one after checking numerous cut out type reviews,while not perfect for myself three to four hour rides are not bad. Good luck in your search.
Old 06-27-20, 09:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Let us know how the Specialize Romin does. I've had a couple Specialized long ago in the past that were fairly comfortable, but I didn't like the rise in the rear. I tend to like a flat profile from nose to the back like many Selle Italia's have.

My new bike came with a Specialized Power Comp. It feels funny, but is actually quite comfortable for short rides. However toward mile 50, It becomes uncomfortable. So it'll have to go soon.

Why don't you try that S-Works Power with Mirror and let us know if it's worth it for long rides? <grin>

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...irror/p/184353
Old 06-27-20, 10:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I have Selle Italia SLR Boost Endurance Superflow saddles on my bikes now. Excellent. I regularly do several-hour rides, no discomfort. I ordered them from Deporvillage
Old 06-27-20, 11:07 PM
loimpact

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pattrick
If your looking for a little padding in an Italia design with a cut out check the Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Super flow. I have one after checking numerous cut out type reviews,while not perfect for myself three to four hour rides are not bad. Good luck in your search.
SLR gel superlow looks good too! Since I'm coming *from* cushy I don't want to push too far. I want to keep my sit bones sitting on top vs sinking in (thus pressing on soft bits) but since the SuperFlow series all have the large cutout that give me the opportunity for a little extra cushioning while still allowing perineum relief!!

Originally Posted by Iride01
Let us know how the Specialize Romin does. I've had a couple Specialized long ago in the past that were fairly comfortable, but I didn't like the rise in the rear. I tend to like a flat profile from nose to the back like many Selle Italia's have.

My new bike came with a Specialized Power Comp. It feels funny, but is actually quite comfortable for short rides. However toward mile 50, It becomes uncomfortable. So it'll have to go soon.

Why don't you try that S-Works Power with Mirror and let us know if it's worth it for long rides? <grin>

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...irror/p/184353
No kidding....I'd love to try that saddle! I gotta hand it to Specialized. They go 100% on everything. The "Phenom" actually has my eye if the Romin doesn't work out. Only concern with it is that while it has a cutout....it's almost useless, imho. (it's so small) LOTS of saddles to choose from. (facepalm)

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I have Selle Italia SLR Boost Endurance Superflow saddles on my bikes now. Excellent. I regularly do several-hour rides, no discomfort. I ordered them from Deporvillage
That looks good too, although again.....I don't do well on the short saddles, but the SLR Gel Superflow mentioned by pattrick fits the bill!!
Old 06-28-20, 02:12 PM
loimpact

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Had a good 30 mile ride in the Romin today. I can definitely say it's a good saddle. My only problem at the moment is....I think my left sit-bone soreness is coming from that razor thin carbon saddle I rode last weekend. (I probably shouldn't have done a 40 mile hammerfest in that thing). Soooo.....the good news is that I can still sit comfortably on the Romin even with that soreness (it takes about 5 minutes of riding and my butt settles in fine) But at about mile #30 I could tell my left sit bone was asking me to ease up.

I think it would be fair to say it'll be between the Romin and the Selle Superflow. I'll try & alternate between them both regularly before my return window closes on them & see if I have a favorite. Hmmmmmm
Old 06-28-20, 03:20 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Man, I've tried a bunch of different saddles but the Selle Anatomica is the only one I've found that works for me. Especially on long rides up to 100 miles. I had the H series for several years, but currently trying the X series.
Old 06-28-20, 04:38 PM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Of the snub-nosed saddles, I've tried the SP-01, Superflow SLR, PRO Stealth, Vento Argo, and Dash Strike. Currently demoing an Aeolus Elite. I'm still looking for that magical saddle that happens to be comfortable outdoors AND on the trainer.
Old 06-30-20, 07:57 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Like so many of you I have played saddle roulette for most of my riding days. I have tried some of all shapes sized and levels of firmness and cushion. Some have been unbearable. The best I had been able to find were the ISM recreational models. Even those had me squirming on longer rides. Cobb recently changed names and sold their old name stuff off pretty cheaply. I bought several of their Randee saddles and like them quite a bit. I haven't logged more than 40 miles on one yet, but at that mark they are appreciably more comfortable than the ISMs. There are still some good deals out there.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...andee&_sacat=0
Old 06-30-20, 08:17 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
To the original poster, is that a Romin Evo or a Romin? The photo looks like a Romin Evo. The difference between the two is that the Romin Evo has a narrower nose. I am currently riding the Romin Evo pro and bike fitters and Specialized tells you to level the middle of the saddle. For me, this had it nose down 3.5%. I actually have had the best success having it nose down at 5%. This allows me to sit in the back and push on the tail, sit in the middle, and push on the nose on hills and bigger efforts. It's also a difficult saddle to get the fore/aft correct. I usually put saddles all the way back since I'm 6'4", however, I have the Romin Evo at 3.5 instead of 5.
Old 06-30-20, 10:43 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts
I'm absolutely not buying another new saddle until the whole "printed saddle thing" either proves to be the next miracle drug or flops and goes away. If this new technology proves to be a good idea, you can bet by next year we'll see printed saddles falling out of the sky from nearly every manufacturer.

So far, all the reviews I've read on the S-Works Power saddle have been very positive... which I hate because it's a $500 saddle and now I want one. The Fizik version is a little cheaper but only comes in a nuclear green color and I don't really care for it's super open design. I can only imagine the Fizik saddle will look nasty over time when it gets full of dirt.
Old 06-30-20, 10:49 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I loved my old Superflow and now really want to try that SP-01 above. Next saddle will be that.
Old 06-30-20, 10:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I'm absolutely not buying another new saddle until the whole "printed saddle thing" either proves to be the next miracle drug or flops and goes away.
So with new tech coming on the market, you won't buy anything till it's determined to be a good idea. Hmmm.... you must have a lot of dated things. Hard to find any expanding market that doesn't have new concepts being introduced that may or may not fly with the consumer.

Smile.......... I have trouble wanting to pay more than a $80 dollars on a saddle. I have some good saddles though that I nabbed at a great price just by being patient.
Old 06-30-20, 10:59 AM
PoorInRichfield

Originally Posted by loimpact
Now trying to reduce perineum numbness (prostate mercy)...LOL...
Maybe TMI (too much information), but if you're experiencing prostate irritation in life in general (not just on the bike), might I suggest taking either saw palmetto or stinging nettle root supplements. I've taken both and either one works well for pretty much eliminating that "I always feel like I have to pee" feeling. If that isn't an issue for you, then disregard this post entirely
Old 06-30-20, 11:00 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I loved my old Superflow and now really want to try that SP-01 above. Next saddle will be that.
Might want to talk to @amashndash

Originally Posted by smashndash
Bought a selle italia SP-01 boost saddle, which doesn’t allow you to slide the saddle forward very much. And when I put it on ONE time, the paint peeled off the rails immediately. I should have taped it.

Oh and the padding was unbearably hard. Overall, would not recommend.
Old 06-30-20, 11:12 AM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
I use the Selle SMP Extra. It just works for me. I have it on both my bikes. I try to ride further back on it to relive pressure that happens when I slide forward a little.

Hope you find one that works for you! I don't even think about my saddle while riding.
Old 06-30-20, 11:13 AM
PoorInRichfield

So with new tech coming on the market, you won't buy anything till it's determined to be a good idea. Hmmm.... you must have a lot of dated things.
How long do think it's going to take to determine if a printed saddle is a good idea? I'm not talking about decades... I'm talking about months. After-all, this is a printed saddle. If Specialized determines this saddle to be a cash-cow and the reviews are all good, the time it'll take them to design similar saddles and get them to market will be shorter than we've ever experienced.

Remember bad saddle ideas like the SaddleCo saddle? I had one and within about a season no one was buying them because they didn't live up to their promise.
Old 06-30-20, 11:59 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Might want to talk to @amashndash
fyi, The "boost" is the snubnosed (ie. now fashionable) shaped version. Pictured above was the standard length model.
It is pretty firm padding.. for me it somehow works better than other saddles I have that have more padding.
Old 07-01-20, 10:10 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
If you're interested in the SP-01 boost, PM me. I have no use for mine.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
fyi, The "boost" is the snubnosed (ie. now fashionable) shaped version. Pictured above was the standard length model.
It is pretty firm padding.. for me it somehow works better than other saddles I have that have more padding.
Yeah I sorta found out the hard way that, especially on the trainer, I need a lot more padding than I realized. My hips rock a little and without padding under my ischial tuberosities (chair sit bones), it feels like they're slicing my flesh. The shape itself seemed more agreeable to me than the Power, though. The Power seems to punish me for riding even slightly upright due to the "scoop".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.