Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bent rear axel, Shimano Deore

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bent rear axel, Shimano Deore

Old 07-03-09, 06:47 AM
AD-SLE

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bent rear axle, Shimano Deore

Ok. Basic stuff but I am doing this job psuedo remotely for a buddy. Went over his Gary Fisher and found his new used bike has a bent rear axle. Cone is badly worn on bent side so it has been ridden. Hopefully the cup is ok. For the amount of riding this guy does...regardless of what I find, assume the cup will be ok.

What is the best place to order axle, cones and bearings? I am sure that info is somewhere in this forum but I am unsure if I have him take the parts down to his LBS or if I can mail order them and have them arrive and talk him through it. The hub has numbers but from my research I just need to have him measure the length of the current axle and order it.

Thanks! I figure there is someone with this info on the tip of their fingers. Thanks! Sorry it is a dull question but it helps a newb get on his nice new to him, deore equiped Gary Fisher back on the road.

Last edited by AD-SLE; 07-04-09 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-03-09, 07:07 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
It's a safe guess that the hub has a 135 mm OLD so the axle length is 146 mm. Axels are generic and you will need conventional M10x1.0 threading. The 1/4" bearing balls are available from any bike shop or mailorder/internet supplier but cones and dust seals are usually specific to the hub model. Call Bike Tools Etc or Loose Screws and see if they have either the correct cone or a "will-fit" that works.
Old 07-03-09, 08:06 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
If you know the exact model # for the hub, the shimano techdoc pdf has the exploded diagram and part #'s all on one sheet. You can order exactly which components you want. You'll need the LBS to do the actual ordering.
Old 07-03-09, 01:26 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Before you even think about mounting the repaired wheel back into the bike - check the rear dropout alignment and straighten.

The tools in question will look like big giant t-handles with rotating cups on the ends. It's a five minute job - a charge from 8.00-12.00 is reasonable at most mom and pop shops.

Elsewise, you run the risk of bending axle again - and maybe snapping it as well.

=8-)
Old 07-03-09, 07:34 PM
AD-SLE

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Too bad I can't spell. Axle! Axel is the name of the figure skating jump! Duh! It was early or....I simply showed my less than excellent spelling.

Anywho, I will order from the LBS and check out the parts list from Shimano. Good point about a bent rear dropout. I had that once and could never get my bike to shift well. Gave up and the mechanic put on this tool as you describe and poof. My problems went away. One of those tools that have not been high on my list to add to the bike tool drawer but maybe...
Old 07-03-09, 07:41 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by AD-SLE
Too bad I can't spell. Axle! Axel is the name of the figure skating jump! Duh! It was early or....I simply showed my less than excellent spelling.
Neither can I, at least not consistantly. I used both spellings in my posting.
Old 07-03-09, 10:32 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by AD-SLE

Anywho, I will order from the LBS and check out the parts list from Shimano. Good point about a bent rear dropout. I had that once and could never get my bike to shift well. Gave up and the mechanic put on this tool as you describe and poof. My problems went away. One of those tools that have not been high on my list to add to the bike tool drawer but maybe...
Actually, Hillrider was spot-on. A Deore rear hub will almost certainly have a 146mm long, 10mm x 1mm threaded, hollow rear axle (axel, Axl... whatever). Any decent bike shop should have a few replacements in stock, either from Shimano or made by Wheels Manufacturing. I've used both with no issues whatsoever.

If the bike is from the late '80's, there's an off chance that the hub is 130mm over-locknut and thus 141mm overall. No problem- this is the same standard used for current "road" hubs. This is, however, a very rare case.

The tool you saw on the mechanic using was probably a derailleur hanger alignment tool:
https://parktool.com/products/detail....8&item=DAG%2D1 . This solves a lot of shifting issues. For dropout alignment, another set of tools is needed: https://parktool.com/products/detail....&item=FFG%2D2#
Unless you're working on a dozen bikes a day, neither of these makes much sense for a home mechanic.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..