Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

First Recumbent In The Mail!

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 08:06 AM
raymeedc

Bikes: Rans Fusion, Rans Cruz, '93 Specialized Stumpjumper, "72 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pulled the trigger on my first recumbent yesterday evening (a BikeE AT). Ever since the onset of my ongoing revelationary semi-recumbent/crank forward life altering experiences during this past year, I've been itching to travel a little farther down the recumbent path. The BikeE seems to be the best choice for me at this time..... seems more maneuverable in tight/crowded situations than many other recumbents (I live within a very densely bike populated urban area, not really conducive to recumbents, which makes me a little hesitant & unsure about this), more upright position than most recumbents (allowing me to see & be seen by others..... hopefully), easy learning curve/adjustment for myself/family/friends, low initial investment.
I generally try to get in about 20 or so casual miles daily in & around the NYC/Brooklyn/Queens area.
I'm having it shipped to my LBS for assembly & tuneup, along with a top loading stem & cruiser handlebars I picked up on EBay.
Any tips/suggestions/etc. about this particular bike, the wise/foolish nature of my choice, or any urban recumbent riding tips would certainly be welcomed. I'm sure I'll have questions of my own that you guys can help me with as the process moves along.
.......... Really Looking Forward To This Season!
Old 05-23-12, 09:38 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I'm not sure why you'd want a cruiser handlebar on a Bike-E. It seems that would be big and heavy, with not much in the way of a benefit. Although I can understand wanting something other than the stock straight bar.
Old 05-23-12, 11:13 AM
raymeedc

Bikes: Rans Fusion, Rans Cruz, '93 Specialized Stumpjumper, "72 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same type handlebars on my Rans Fusion & Cruz that come on the BikeE. I didn't like the mountain bike type hand positioning. Consequently, I swapped them out for cruiser bars..... much more comfortable & natural. Almost all of the recumbents I see have swept back bars such as those I'm intending to install on this bike. The bars the BikeE come with seem to be an odd choice. What would you suggest?
P.S. - These are the bars/stem:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bike-E-Recum...ht_2698wt_1165

Last edited by raymeedc; 05-23-12 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-23-12, 12:04 PM
Anewbike
I run A New Bike

Bikes: Peugot fixed gear, old BMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations. I can't wait to jump on that bandwagon for touring.
Old 05-23-12, 02:20 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I have to admit, those don't look as bad as I envisioned. But they're a lot wider than I would want to use.
Old 05-23-12, 04:13 PM
raymeedc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I have to admit, those don't look as bad as I envisioned. But they're a lot wider than I would want to use.
I was thinking the same thing, but I figure it's a good place to start (the pics he provides make it a little difficult to properly judge). It's cheap enough, however, to swap out the bars if they prove to be unsatisfactory.