Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What's your average speed, over 200lbs???

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 11:40 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts

Just wondering what other 200+lb riders are averaging out there? I find my average to be quite a bit less than lighter riders over in the "road bike" section of the forum. Obviously strength and endurance training will bring my average up but will I max out because of my weight penalty? I don't have much to loose body fat wise so I'm as close to fit as I will probably get without going on an extreme diet.
Old 02-20-14, 12:05 PM
Cycle Babble

Bikes: 1996 Trek 820 Mountain Bike, 2010 Gary Fisher Tarpon, 2013 Trek Domane 4.5C, 2013 Orbea H20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dvdslw,
Last year I rode my MTB all year and my average speed for my 500 miles was 12 MPH. I was told that is pretty good for a mountain bike (half the miles on trails and the other half on roads). Since I just purchased my road bike this winter, I have not been able to ride it yet. I will post on how my speed goes on the road bike vs. mountain bike. I still plan on riding my MTB, but only on trails which I am sure will decrease the average speed.

Thanks,
John S
Old 02-20-14, 12:17 PM
fiatjeepdriver

Bikes: Land Shark, Ritchey, Fat Chance, and about 19 others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
250# here. Hour long race pace (crits) 23 mph. Solo riding on flatter ground 19 mph hitting a lot of hills 16 mph. Mtbs 7mph hilly and 13 on flatter trails with some little rollers.
Old 02-20-14, 12:19 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
If I get on a flat, wide open trail over ten miles is was 10-12 when I was at 250. Now at 205 it is fifteen if I go easy, 16-17 if I push harder, almost twenty if I go all out, as in a time trial. https://www.strava.com/activities/107352189/analysis (The younger skinny guys averaged about 24-25)
Old 02-20-14, 12:22 PM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Road - 15-16 generally speaking
Old 02-20-14, 12:28 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
9.5 mile commute, solo, with some hills tossed in, was about 12 mph average (road or commuter bike). Of course, when I ride with one or more other people, its about 14 mph. I'm at 235 now (down from close to 250), and looking to be at 200-205 this year...
Old 02-20-14, 12:34 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
Obviously strength and endurance training will bring my average up but will I max out because of my weight penalty? I don't have much to loose body fat wise so I'm as close to fit as I will probably get without going on an extreme diet.
What are you goals? ride faster? hang w/ the club ride? racing? In any case, weight/power ratio shows it's head more when the hills start. Longer the hill, more it's a problem. Flatter the road I'd say your weight shouldn't hold you back, but your training/riding regiment might.

I'm right under 200# now, and hand full of the guys on my club ride are about my size or bit more. Trick is to DITCH the whole idea of losing weight. Sure losing it helps, but goal should be just ride FAST. Ride fast by your self, find fast guys to ride with and keep up or get dropped. Repeat often and you will see results. It an't easy but a fun path to follow
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 02-20-14, 01:30 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
Just wondering what other 200+lb riders are averaging out there? I find my average to be quite a bit less than lighter riders over in the "road bike" section of the forum. Obviously strength and endurance training will bring my average up but will I max out because of my weight penalty? I don't have much to loose body fat wise so I'm as close to fit as I will probably get without going on an extreme diet.
Make sure you evaluate those '41' claims with a healthy dose of salt. Then keep in mind there are ways to calculate your average that affect the result. Are you deducting idle time? Are you just looking down at your computer when you're flying along and that's your "average" for the whole ride?

If I ride on the local mup, wiht all it's flipping stop signs, lights and diverts, I'll average < 15 mph. If I ride on the street next to the mup I'll average 17-18. Ride in a group and you can add a few mph to that.
Old 02-20-14, 01:32 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Originally Posted by jsigone
What are you goals? ride faster? hang w/ the club ride? racing? In any case, weight/power ratio shows it's head more when the hills start. Longer the hill, more it's a problem. Flatter the road I'd say your weight shouldn't hold you back, but your training/riding regiment might.

I'm right under 200# now, and hand full of the guys on my club ride are about my size or bit more. Trick is to DITCH the whole idea of losing weight. Sure losing it helps, but goal should be just ride FAST. Ride fast by your self, find fast guys to ride with and keep up or get dropped. Repeat often and you will see results. It an't easy but a fun path to follow
Very true that hills are the biggest drag for a heavy rider, but there are two other areas where weight will slow you down, though to a much smaller extent.

Air resistance. This isn't really a function of weight, but heavier riders tend to be wider, and a major factor in air resistance is area of the cross section fighting he wind.

Rolling resistance. This is a function of the construction and pressure in the tires. It is also affected by the weight on the tires.

Of course there is conditioning. You're an animal Jeff, and younger than me with a better health history. Still I do OK. I have ambitions of being able to keep up with the likes of you.

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
If I ride on the local mup, wiht all it's flipping stop signs, lights and diverts, I'll average < 15 mph. If I ride on the street next to the mup I'll average 17-18. Ride in a group and you can add a few mph to that.
For me it is the opposite. There are a couple of MUP's, like the one that makes up about half of my afternoon commute, that let me bypass some of Orange County's most horrific traffic signals. https://www.strava.com/activities/114607078 (Mile 2 to mile 7.75)

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 02-20-14 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-20-14, 01:45 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
For me it is the opposite.
The river trails around here are always better for speed that streets, but the little MUP near me is a disaster. At intersections, you have to ride sideways on the sidewalk to the light, cross, come back to the MUP and get going again. Never mind the leashless dogs, kids on razor scooters, people pushing shopping carts etc. (It's the whittier greenway trail and it's a living ad for why you should ride on the streets instead of MUPs. )
Old 02-20-14, 01:52 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
When I first started last year I was over 200lbs and averaging 12.7mph (according to my records) on the rough(crushed limestone) but flat trails. Once I got past the ~ 500mile threshold, I noticed my average speed improving, when I stopped riding I was averaging 15mph on the same trail at ~170lbs. Just imagining how heavy my bike is (I've never actually weighed it), and the fact I'm running on size 700x35 tires, I don't see that # improving any further
Old 02-20-14, 02:40 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
12-15mph, mountain bike, smooth tires, urban terrain (not simply flat pavement). And this is just plain riding, I'm not trying to actually go fast or anything, just trying to arrive at work in a timely manner.
Old 02-20-14, 02:43 PM
CommuteCommando

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
The river trails around here are always better for speed that streets, but the little MUP near me is a disaster. At intersections, you have to ride sideways on the sidewalk to the light, cross, come back to the MUP and get going again. Never mind the leashless dogs, kids on razor scooters, people pushing shopping carts etc. (It's the whittier greenway trail and it's a living ad for why you should ride on the streets instead of MUPs. )
Gag. I hate those. The issue I have with Rails to Trails is that most of the stuff made in that mode are of this type. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4076435
Old 02-20-14, 03:03 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just started and my 10 mile rides average 13-15 mph. I am not trying to go fast just riding at a comfortable pace. My first couple of rides were at 10-12 mph so as I ride more my comfy pace increases all on its own.
Old 02-20-14, 03:40 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I live in a very flat area. My 30-mile out and back yesterday literally had just 16 feet of elevation change according to Strava. When I get calm days I can get a pretty good idea what my real average speed is like.

I'm 230# and my road bike is around 24#. On my road bike on a calm summer day I average between 16 and 18 mph on relatively short solo rides <30 miles. My century average on my 30# touring bike both in this area and in the lakes region, with its rolling hills, is between 15 and 16 mph. On my winter bike with fenders, rack, big studded tires, and wearing winter gear, I average between 10 and 13 mph depending on road and weather conditions.

I calculate my averages by comparing the average on my cycling computer and the average recorded by Strava, which are usually quite close. My peak speeds are a different story. There I rely completely on my cycling computer as Strava likes to credit me with brief burst of incredible speed. According to Strava, I hit 30 mph for about 100 yards on my ride yesterday, for no apparent reason and which I do not remember. My cycling computer says my max was 16 and small change.

The good news is that the weight penalty comes into play more on hills and sprints than it does in sustained or average speed on relatively flat ground. It's not as much about overall weight as it is about watts per kg.

Last edited by Myosmith; 02-20-14 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-20-14, 04:09 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Average speed is all over the place. Terrain, weather, wind, solo, groups, trainin goal for the day... etc... It's almost meaningless.

However, using this Strava app, it spits out statistics by year & grand total. This I found very interesting as it does speak to my "cruising" speed, and shows that I've gotten faster over the years.

It also implies that more mileage gives better/faster results:

Old 02-20-14, 04:17 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
I pull the guys on flats, and anchor on the hills. 12- 14 averages. There was a time...
Old 02-20-14, 04:32 PM
LongT

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2009 Specialized Hard Rock 29er, 1989 Cannondale w/Campy Nuovo Record Components (mostly anway, now just on the trainer) and Easy Racer Recumbent (home made from plans)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
66 years old, 230 lbs, from my Garmin from May to December 2013: 2296 miles, 14.7 mph. That is both road and 29er (mainly on the road). In September I did a flat 160 mile, 2 day - 80 each day, charity ride. First day 17.3 mph second day 16.4 mph.

Bill
Old 02-20-14, 04:38 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Me and the bike, weigh in at 240-250. 68 yr old male. Specialized Crosstrail Sport, '08. Tires at 92PSI, Schwalbe Marathon Supremes. Primarily paved MUP, (rail trail) with about 4 miles of surface streets.

Over 30 miles = 15MPH, over 40 miles = 13MPH. That last 10 really slows me down.

Last edited by Wanderer; 02-20-14 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-20-14, 04:41 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
My speeds vary a lot depending on whether I am dealing with intersection stop/starts, hills, winds, time of day, temperature extremes, rough pavement, distance, trying to ride somebody else's pace, social -vs- training -vs- race.

I ride slowest when I am at higher weights either at a stable weight or losing weight. I also ride better after several days of rest from a long punishing ride. My body performs better later in the day, early morning I am sluggish. On longer solo rides I am less focused on riding as fast as possible. Cold air is thick and hard to breathe and more constrictive clothing is worn; hot air is thin and clothes are light but I carry extra water bottles and overheat easily. Nighttime I go slower for better visibility including varmits (deer) on the roads. Rough pavement particularly chipseal sucks the speed out of my wheels especially climbing.

Average speeds for a loop route vary between 12mph and 17mph depending on the above.

One of my favorite rides is a 5-mile club time trial I do twice a year, and I have a few local strava QOMs that I protect -- so I do some all-out blast efforts on a regular basis.
The QOMs and time trials were much faster but not so meaningful due to short distance, net flat/downhill elevation, and tailwinds (1-way route, not a loop).
Anything resembling a climb and I'm back of the pack.

So there is no single answer.
Old 02-20-14, 04:50 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
MUPS ... the powers that be decided to put in "speed bumps" for bikes due to congestion near downtown. With all the kids sitting on the mup playing, strollers, dogs on retractible leashes, earbud-wearing joggers, contraflow pedestrians, skaters (use full width of trail), walkers 4-abreast, kayakers walking across -- during peak times one can have no expectation of going faster than 10mph. As the MUP gets away from downtown, traffic is mostly cyclists and it is safe to ride fast. My favorite routes are on streets near the city limits and on park roads with almost no motor vehicles.
Old 02-20-14, 05:03 PM
ahultin

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Average speed is generally answered very subjectively as it varies greatly by type of activity. A pure average since I started tracking via garmin connect is 14.3mph. If I break it down by year, 2011 was 13.5mph, 2012 was 14.4mph, 2013 was 14.2mph and ytd is 15.1mph. Without the remainder of the data it would appear as if I slowed down in 2013 when in reality the difference was caused by a 50% increase in elevation.
Old 02-20-14, 05:13 PM
IAMAMRA
Big Boned Biker

Bikes: Raleigh Detour 4.5, Trek Crossrip Elite '14

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
250's and about 10mph
Old 02-20-14, 05:46 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Veloviewer says 15mph average this year, including everything. Stops, hills, goes, traffic lights, etc, etc.
Old 02-20-14, 07:37 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
In my best shape last summer I did just over 20 MPH for 20 miles. I weighed 192 Lbs at the time. This was solo, pancake flat, and no wind. To accomplish this I trained and peaked up to it including a 30 min. warmup prior to the ride. In other words one time all out effort. Take away the aero bars and just go ride hard and it's more like 18.5. Currently averaging 17 is a treat. But this allows for 18 - 20 MPH, due to drafting, spirited group rides and a big smile. I'm 56 y/o 5'7" @ 210 lbs. It takes time and training to build speed not just lots of miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.