Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Indoor trainer advice

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Indoor trainer advice

Old 10-12-14, 05:14 PM
Dryvlyne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indoor trainer advice

I'll soon be in the market for a trainer as the weather gets colder (in OH) and was looking for some feedback/advice. I've looked around on Amazon and one of the things I'm confused about is the price difference between the low & high end. Seems like there are a lot of sub-$100 trainers with favorable reviews so what the difference between these and say a $200+ model?

I'm not particularly interested in spending more than $100 on a trainer, but if the consensus is I really should invest in one more expensive then I may consider it. Please remember though I only plan on using this during the winter to just maintain fitness until I can ride outdoors again... and that I have a wife too that might be rather upset if I spend anymore money related to biking this year, lol
Old 10-12-14, 05:17 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Get a fluid trainer. More realistic, smoother. Indoor training sucks, just in case you missed that.
Old 10-12-14, 05:28 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Riding a trainer, in general, is not fun. Cheap trainers make the experience even worse. Buy a solid fluid trainer - like CycleOps Fluid 2 or Kurt Kinetic. They are worth the money. Performance Bike's Travel Trac line is not.
Old 10-12-14, 05:35 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
I started with a used Minoura RTA850, I wore it out in one season.
Bought a Kenitic by Kurt Rock and Roll, 100 times better, but as others have said
indoor training sucks
Old 10-12-14, 05:36 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
OP, the difference in cost has to do with the resistance unit, and how it generates resistance...and any pleasant side effects of said generation. Wind trainers are dirt cheap-but they are *loud* for example.

Fluids are the most realistic, and you don't need to set a resistance level (like you do with mag typically)...but they are $$$.

Originally Posted by ls01
Get a fluid trainer. More realistic, smoother. Indoor training sucks, just in case you missed that.
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Riding a trainer, in general, is not fun. Cheap trainers make the experience even worse. Buy a solid fluid trainer - like CycleOps Fluid 2 or Kurt Kinetic. They are worth the money. Performance Bike's Travel Trac line is not.

Indoor training...you need to setup in front of your Man (Woman) Cave with a movie or TV you like to watch. And do intervals. Only way riding a trainer is tolerable for more than 5-10 minutes.

Indoor training while boring and "sucks"...can be much more structured than real road riding, which improves strength. And while it is sucky-it is far better than becoming a fat out of shape blob over the winter months-if you aren't crazy enough to still go out on the roads.
Old 10-12-14, 05:45 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Kurt Kinetic Road Machine is a nice trainer - solid, fluid, quiet. I can go an hour before I go stir crazy. Generally, I listen to an hour-long CD that has a variety of tempos - that gives me a bit of pace changing. Or I watch a TV program. Once you resign yourself to it, it's not so bad - just get yourself in the right frame of mind.
Old 10-12-14, 06:06 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
I must be a freak, because I can ride a stationary/trainer for an hour or so no problem, not really doing anything, though I admit following a workout (with time, power and cadence instructions) help makes it better. I also ride 'em all year round, and just augment with real bike rides in the spring/summer/fall.
Old 10-12-14, 06:10 PM
utahp8ntballer

Bikes: Fuji SL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you considered rollers? It will smooth out your pedal stroke, help you with balance, and is way more "fun" than a trainer. Don't get me wrong, it still sucks ass, but I feel I get a better workout and more out of them than a trainer.
Old 10-12-14, 06:51 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I got a nice Cycleops trainer but sold it after only a few rides. I only had one bike at the time and it was necessary to change the rear tire to a trainer tire before setting up the trainer. Otherwise, I'd wear out the road tire very quickly.

I thought I'd watch cycling videos while on the thing but it was so boring I bought winter gear so I could ride outdoors instead. I can ride pretty much all year here in No'ala.

I then joined a gym and went to spin classes. I used my own clipless pedals and shoes.

Several people recommended rollers as being less boring.

I do recommend a fan to keep you cool and some towels to keep the buckets of sweat off the floor and the bike.
Old 10-12-14, 07:42 PM
Dryvlyne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geez, I might have to rethink this. The CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer is $315 and the Kinetic Road Machine 2.0 is $349! Perhaps I should do spinning classes at the gym and invest in colder weather gear to continue riding outdoors. I don't mind the cold too much, after all I did ride this morning and the starting temp was 34 F. The big thing that concerns me though is that with the days getting shorter the earliest I can get home, changed, and on the bike on the road after work is like 5:45p which doesn't leave a lot of time to go very far. It won't be long of course and it'll be pretty much dark by the time I get home from work. I'm bummed because I didn't start seriously road biking until mid-July and now Winter is coming and it sucks
Old 10-12-14, 07:45 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
I got a nice Cycleops trainer but sold it after only a few rides. I only had one bike at the time and it was necessary to change the rear tire to a trainer tire before setting up the trainer. Otherwise, I'd wear out the road tire very quickly. .
Why not spend $50-70 on a super cheap spare wheel?
Old 10-12-14, 08:33 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I have a cycle ops wind trainer that was about $140 and it works fine. A little noisy but I am in a basement so not an issue. I don't use it much just get out and ride but I run also. It is a quality trainer and reasonably smooth just use an old tire. In fact I just use a dedicated rear wheel I swap on for the trainer with its own quick release and save the other quick release they can get chewed up if not careful
Old 10-12-14, 08:43 PM
Atakuweh

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Icon Pro, 2013 Jamis Allegro Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a CycleOps Fluid 2 that I like very much for when it's absolutely unrideable outside. I don't buy the "wears out your rear tire" theory, though I have Gatorskins on both my bikes. The roller on the CycleOps is smooth, polished metal, so as long as your tire is properly inflated it won't wear your tire out anywhere near as fast as asphalt will. Having a trainer in your home also makes it a lot more likely you're actually going to use it, as opposed to going to a spin class.
Old 10-12-14, 10:22 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
What is wrong with the Travel Trac line? I used my points and got one last week. I haven't used another trainer and have only used the Travel Trac a couple of times but it seems quiet and smooth so far. Mine is the fluid model and the reviews were very good for it.
Old 10-12-14, 10:31 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a cyclops fluid 2. I usually keep one of my bikes mounted to it full time. You don't need a training tire but anything with a soft compound will melt away. I have rollers as well. None of this hamster wheel stuff is as good as being outside. I have enough winter gear to get out into -10c weather for an hour. And you're going to need some lights. Damnation it's getting expensive isn't it?
Old 10-12-14, 10:44 PM
daveleau

Bikes: 2013 BMC GranFondo01, 2014 Lynskey R255

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying my first trainer, I didn't want to drop a bunch of cash on something I might not use. So, I figured I'd buy a good inexpensive model to try it out and see what I thought. I grabbed the one linked below, and I was ver pleasantly surprised. It gives me sufficient resustance and isn't as loud as I thought it'd be. If you want resistance, get a trainer. If you want to work on pedalling and balance, get rollers.

Amazon.com : Bike Lane Pro Trainer Bicycle Indoor Trainer Exercise Machine Ride All Year : Indoor Bicycle Cycling Trainer Exercise Stand : Sports & Outdoors
Old 10-12-14, 10:53 PM
dralways

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dryvlyne
Geez, I might have to rethink this. The CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer is $315 and the Kinetic Road Machine 2.0 is $349! Perhaps I should do spinning classes at the gym and invest in colder weather gear to continue riding outdoors. I don't mind the cold too much, after all I did ride this morning and the starting temp was 34 F. The big thing that concerns me though is that with the days getting shorter the earliest I can get home, changed, and on the bike on the road after work is like 5:45p which doesn't leave a lot of time to go very far. It won't be long of course and it'll be pretty much dark by the time I get home from work. I'm bummed because I didn't start seriously road biking until mid-July and now Winter is coming and it sucks
This is what I plan to do. All I really have left on the winter clothing shopping list is really warm booties for the feet, maybe thermal bibs, and maybe glove liners and wool socks. To address the lack of daylight find yourself some good night routes full of heavily lit streets with alot of street lights. I don't know how many times I went out at 2am within the last few months to come back with 50mi+ for the night and felt safe doing it.
Old 10-12-14, 11:20 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Convince your wife to use the trainer too, so you can justify the jump to $375.
Old 10-12-14, 11:23 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Weather here (also Ohio) was so crappy this summer I bought a trainer at a yard sale to make sure I could hit my goal miles. I paid $40 for a CycleOps Fluid trainer and it works great. I doubt if it was ever really used. Craigslist might be a good place to look too.

I limit my trainer "rides" to 20 minutes, or about 5-6 miles (that would still be over 1800 miles a year if done daily).
I use two separate bicycle computers so I can track road miles on one, and trainer miles on the other.
I use my back-up/rain bike in the trainer.
I sweat like a pig on the trainer (you will too). So I setup in the garage where I can open the big [car] door and let in plenty of air.
I also use two fans to help evaporate the sweat.
I protect the bicycles paint/finish with a towel.
Don't buy training videos just watch them on Youtube. I download some to a tablet and they really help pass the time. So does TV (on my phone).
I always get that endorphin high from the trainer workout. Knowing that is a reward... helps motivate me to train.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 10-12-14 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 03:39 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Don't buy training videos just watch them on Youtube. I download some to a tablet and they really help pass the time. So does TV (on my phone).
Yeah, YouTube has a plethora of stuff that's fun to ride to, my favorites being BF member Carpediemracing's race vids. I start the playlist and ride the videos like intervals, following his subtitles like a cue sheet. I like the music, too.

I also like following the Sufferfest videos, which make riding to a plan brainlessly easy. I think they're worth paying for if you don't otherwise have a training regimen and really want to maximize your trainer time. 3 of them are free with Strava, I think, or maybe with the Premium membership, so you can try them for very little before going in whole hog.
Old 10-13-14, 04:47 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
I got a nice Cycleops trainer but sold it after only a few rides. I only had one bike at the time and it was necessary to change the rear tire to a trainer tire before setting up the trainer. Otherwise, I'd wear out the road tire very quickly.

I thought I'd watch cycling videos while on the thing but it was so boring I bought winter gear so I could ride outdoors instead. I can ride pretty much all year here in No'ala.

I then joined a gym and went to spin classes. I used my own clipless pedals and shoes.

Several people recommended rollers as being less boring.

I do recommend a fan to keep you cool and some towels to keep the buckets of sweat off the floor and the bike.
Why?

In bad winter weather I'll do 90 to 120 minutes every other day (the other days are at the gym running and lifting) and will take a used rear and run the entire winter on it without a problem.

I think your trainer setup has the resistance unit screwed down too much.

I don't even get that many "marbles"...I use a Super Magneto Cycleops.

Unless you were using tubulars...
Old 10-13-14, 05:24 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Why?

In bad winter weather I'll do 90 to 120 minutes every other day (the other days are at the gym running and lifting) and will take a used rear and run the entire winter on it without a problem.

I think your trainer setup has the resistance unit screwed down too much.

I don't even get that many "marbles"...I use a Super Magneto Cycleops.

Unless you were using tubulars...
the fluid Cycleops can get quite hot. it's not wearing out the tires, but 90-120 min. could melt them. i have an old conti gp3k, it's just glazed over and shiny, so indestructable on the trainer.
Old 10-13-14, 05:30 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto
Why not spend $50-70 on a super cheap spare wheel?
Because it was boring to ride the trainer.
Old 10-13-14, 06:07 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
the fluid Cycleops can get quite hot. it's not wearing out the tires, but 90-120 min. could melt them. i have an old conti gp3k, it's just glazed over and shiny, so indestructable on the trainer.
I've had three of them...the original black one, the newer silver, and the Pro with the plastic cover. I did burn my leg on the silver one touching the fluid unit accidentally, but never had tire trouble.

Interesting...I switched to the Super Magneto for the different power bands although I use the interval band (the one closest to the fluid) about 90% of the time.
Old 10-13-14, 06:47 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20804 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Dryvlyne
1) As indoor training sucks, and most people don't realize this until they try it, you can often find used KKRMs at significantly lower prices. There's not a lot that can go wrong with them (and even less that's not catastrophically bad/noticeable), so going used along with a quick pre-purchase once-over is usually a safe bet.

2) There's a big difference between temps that are above freezing and those that are below freezing. 20° is much less fun than 34°.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.