Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Longtime Roadbiker and now getting into mountain biking

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-05-20, 09:10 PM
sffred

Bikes: 97 C.DALE DA 7800, 88 C.DALE 7700, GT BMX VERTIGO PRO, SCHWINN TRAVELER FIXIE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello my fellow enthusiasts, I知 a long time road biker built a few road bikes during my younger days, and now that I知 a family man, I知 building me and my wife custom mtb痴.

I just bought matching Specialized Chisel framesets, hers in XS and mine in M both in gloss chameleon snake eye/Forrest green. (Check it out on specialized website)

and I need y誕ll to teach me to build this bike to the next level.

I知 pretty much sold on a 1x12 set up (prolly a XTR set up, I知 a Shimano ***** and restomoded my 96 Cannondale with DA 7800-7850 everything) unless you all can tell me otherwise.

what fork should I use?
groupset recommendations?
wheelsets?
etc?

thanks in advance
Fred
Old 10-05-20, 10:39 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,072 Posts
This is a framebuilding forum.
Old 10-06-20, 06:09 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Moved thread to mountain biking from framebuilders
Old 10-06-20, 08:09 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
A few factors come into play. Budget? Types of trails you'll be riding? What type of riders are you both,?
Old 10-06-20, 10:24 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
You have it easy since it is a current frame. I don’t have enough kniwledge of current XTR vs. XT in terms of durability and capacities vs performance. I know that in my experience, older XT works better than older XTR in certain situations.

Apart from that, you know any current group set will work and it really isn’t possible to get all the “best” this component to “best” that component from a forum thread.

For a frame up build, you need to read a lot of threads and reviews that will narrow down the components from wheelsets, to brakes, to cranks, to etc. In your situation, the only reason to build is to put together the best mix that no mfg offers.

But... there is a massive difference in skill set between road and true mountain biking. Where you end up riding, or the degree of technical ability of being able to ride, drives a lot of your build choices.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 10-06-20 at 12:01 PM.