Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 10-05-20, 06:53 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Yoga after you ride. There are studies that indicate stretching diminishes performance. I've been doing yoga for quite some time.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 10-05-20, 09:08 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
ridethecliche - eating before a workout or not is individual. I generally feel better if I have something before a hard morning workout, but others do fine without it. Just try both and see what works for you.

I also do yoga after rides and in evenings, mostly on light riding days. It helps keep my back healthy.
Old 10-05-20, 09:30 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
ridethecliche There are active stretches that one can do pre-ride that may help prepare the muscles for cycling.

When I lived in NorCal, I would go to the velodrome in the morning and do high intensity motor work without breakfast and just coffee and maybe a gel.

I have attended lectures put on by nutritionists for cycling that advocated not eating prior to cycling to increase fat burning. Also, nutrition can be periodized just like training.

It depends how sophisticated one wants to get training and if the protocol works for the athlete. So it is a depends.

However, if there was nutritionist and cook that had experience with pro cyclists that I could access, I would be all over it. Not so easy to find, finance and then implement.
Old 10-05-20, 11:25 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
It's controversial for sure, but I do almost all of my riding early with just some coffee and have done fine. I eat a carb-centric diet so I'm always topped off, and I don't think anything up to 2hrs is going to leave me struggling (there are some tougher sweet spot workouts where I might have something halfway through). So, personally, it's fine to do them fasted.
I think most of the workouts that sufferfest is giving me are sub 90 mins. I think there are about 4-5 workouts a week. I think my base is a little bigger than the program is anticipating, so I'm going to try doing the workouts during the workweek and ride over the weekends doing recovery for it as and when I need it based on the graphzzz.

Do you track your yoga workouts? I was debating strava'ing them with a HRM just so effort etc is measured though I don't think it takes that into account in the CTL etc. I did 45 mins yesterday and my body is definitely feeling it.

Originally Posted by gsteinb
I never eat before lunch, unless I'm racing and then it's just a couple of bars.

Yoga after you ride. There are studies that indicate stretching diminishes performance. I've been doing yoga for quite some time.
Gotcha, will definitely do it after the rides in the AM or in the evening, unless I'm not riding in which case whenever.
I've been doing intermittent fasting in some way since 2016 when I started taking thyroid hormone. Have to wait an hour after taking the med till you can eat so it just made sense to try it. My body's used to waiting to eat till lunch on just a cup of coffee and water.

I'm guessing I'm going to feel crummy in the beginning and it'll get better as I adapt. Might have to start taking shakes afterwards and move the eating schedule around.

Originally Posted by cmh
ridethecliche - eating before a workout or not is individual. I generally feel better if I have something before a hard morning workout, but others do fine without it. Just try both and see what works for you.

I also do yoga after rides and in evenings, mostly on light riding days. It helps keep my back healthy.
Yeah, having dealt with back surgery and issues now, I've been trying to do 2-3x 30-45min sessions a week. I feel like it's really helping especially since I haven't been going to the gym anymore for obvious reasons.
Old 10-05-20, 12:54 PM
cmh

I track my Yoga sessions just to keep myself honest about how much/often I'm doing them, but keep it separate from cycling. I don't attribute any TSS to yoga as I think the impact on recovery and overall stress is minimal, and is generally relieving stress rather than adding to it.
Likes For cmh:
Old 10-06-20, 06:47 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
2x8 and then some SS on the TT bike at lunch. The speeds during the 2x8 were pretty good. I need to probably back off the power a hair and go with 3x8. I overcooked those two a bit on the % of my hour TT power. More like 107 or 108% instead of 105% or 100%.

I need to try a 10mi this week in race kit. Nail down a 2020 PR for that distance also.

I need to run my beet powder through a coffee grinder, crap formed one big block in the bag now.
Old 10-06-20, 08:28 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
2x8 and then some SS on the TT bike at lunch. The speeds during the 2x8 were pretty good. I need to probably back off the power a hair and go with 3x8. I overcooked those two a bit on the % of my hour TT power. More like 107 or 108% instead of 105% or 100%.

I need to try a 10mi this week in race kit. Nail down a 2020 PR for that distance also.

I need to run my beet powder through a coffee grinder, crap formed one big block in the bag now.
It strikes me that the beet powder residue could hang out in the grinder mechanism for awhile and the grinder mechanism is designed for beans not clumpy beet powder. Just saying.
Old 10-06-20, 09:24 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Fact: bears love beets.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 10-06-20, 09:37 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by Hermes
It strikes me that the beet powder residue could hang out in the grinder mechanism for awhile and the grinder mechanism is designed for beans not clumpy beet powder. Just saying.
Hmm, true. Maybe not a good idea. Maybe just a ziploc bag and a meat tenderizer then. Probably saved me getting chastised by the wife for ruining the coffee grinder!
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-06-20, 10:01 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
fact: Bears love beets.

Bears, beets, battlestar galactica.

Michael!!!
Old 10-06-20, 11:46 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Zwift racing season started today, did a B race and ended up 17/50 something. Felt good to be up front quite a bit, but didn’t want to help drag people along. Anyhow, my IF for 51mins was 0.95, so a solid workout
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 10-06-20, 01:35 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
I track my Yoga sessions just to keep myself honest about how much/often I'm doing them, but keep it separate from cycling. I don't attribute any TSS to yoga as I think the impact on recovery and overall stress is minimal, and is generally relieving stress rather than adding to it.
I think it depends on what you do. I find the stuff I do is very strength oriented, and I'm generally fried afterwards. 10 TSS per 30 minutes.
Old 10-06-20, 06:20 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2592 Post(s)
Liked 3,080 Times in 1,631 Posts
Crashed my MTB last weekend and hurt my left wrist and elbow. Was feeling good/fast until I wasn't. Always tough to remember to keep yourself in check.

Fairly certain I didn't break it, but it's still a bit tender and sensitive to twisting motions 2 days later. I'll schedule a doc appt tomorrow if it's not notably better than today.
Old 10-06-20, 06:21 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Skipped Coach's hours at the track this morning due to my wrist. Meant to do a Zwift TT at 7AM but got a late start and ended up just spinning Z1 for an hour with Z running in the bkg while I did various chores and things on my computer.
Old 10-07-20, 09:20 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

TTT Tuesdays at Fiesta. 2x20Km TTT with 10' RBI.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 10-07-20, 11:52 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Tipped the scales at ~152 lbs this morning which hasn't happened in a while. Race weight 145. I'm a few weeks out from starting to pile on the volume, but I may try to watch my portions and snacking until then to keep this under control. Funny how your brain and habits can lag behind your actual metabolism a bit.

On that note I zwifted for 3 hrs this morning, mostly split between a couple of group rides. A few hours of steady ~3 w/kg is a good chunck of energy; at least I won't have to worry so much about getting fatter today .
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-07-20, 12:40 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Crashed my MTB last weekend and hurt my left wrist and elbow. Was feeling good/fast until I wasn't. Always tough to remember to keep yourself in check.

Fairly certain I didn't break it, but it's still a bit tender and sensitive to twisting motions 2 days later. I'll schedule a doc appt tomorrow if it's not notably better than today.
Crashed mine last Friday. I was just out spinning to loosen up and I rode around a fence and got slammed to the earth so fast I didn't feel it coming. There was a 4 or 5 inch lip and a drop off to the left, must have slipped off the edge. Bruised ribs and back and knee and some sort of pull or soft tissue damage to the inner hip/groin area. 3 days using a cane and trouble getting in and out of bed.
Felt good enough to go ride flat ground for 2 hours today. We'll find out if that was a mistake later.

Too old for that stuff.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-07-20, 12:54 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Hey I'm only 33 and finding myself needing to back off sometimes haha. I hope you don't end up regretting your flat ride.
Old 10-07-20, 01:17 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Decided to commit to the sufferfest so to speak. I had a $30 off coupon for a year long subscription AND they're giving away a free tickr, which I might flip since I have one already or keep in my bag as a backup. Makes things a little more tolerable re the cost for the first year.

Hope you're feeling better big john.
And hope your wrist is okay TMonk !
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 10-07-20, 02:06 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Hey I'm only 33 and finding myself needing to back off sometimes haha. I hope you don't end up regretting your flat ride.
So far so good. I'd like to do some climbing this Saturday but if there's still pain in the joints I'll wait (maybe).

Hoping your wrist is good.

Last edited by big john; 10-07-20 at 04:24 PM. Reason: your you're
Likes For big john:
Old 10-07-20, 04:34 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Starting to pick things up a bit now....finally got Zwift working again lol. There's been a whole lotta volume this year but not much intensity. This season essentially passed and I was on the sidelines. While there were no races the group ride scene apparently was kicking with a huge amount of rider; teenagers and 20 somethings, doctors (which for some reason don't care about quarantine) and a crop of new riders. Hopefully next year I can race but I'm not doing unless its safe.

I have to start planning for 2021 but I really don't know what that year holds....is there going to be a race season? Is BWR happening?
Old 10-07-20, 04:49 PM
cmh

Originally Posted by gsteinb
I think it depends on what you do. I find the stuff I do is very strength oriented, and I'm generally fried afterwards. 10 TSS per 30 minutes.
Yeah, yoga means different things to different people. I generally go for more flexibility oriented yoga, and the strength stuff aimed more at the core rather than legs. So I consider the TSS to be in the noise.
Old 10-07-20, 04:50 PM
cmh

Hope you guys heal quickly tmonk, and bigjohn. Careful out there!
Likes For cmh:
Old 10-08-20, 11:17 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Having to get creative getting my time in on the lunch TT bike rides. When you ride fast enough, the mileage starts piling on quick. 23.5mph at 30ft per mile at sweetspot for 25.5mi at lunch. Had to get creative on route as the old 18mi stuff wasn't enough time and I was doubling back.

But, solid amount of sweetspot today. Felt good, head out of wind, etc...
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-08-20, 12:10 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
zwift race again today, just finished 9/50 in the B's. IF of 0.96 for 45mins This race had all the cats mixed in together, so that was annoying, it gets hard to figure out who is where from your group. Though, I could have done better to stick with the lead group because I was in 1st overall for a bit during the first half before the main climb (the volcano climb). I did the last minute at 394w (steady, no sprinting) so that felt pretty awesome.
Likes For hubcyclist:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.