Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Henry Hudson Rail Trail, NJ

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 10-07-20, 03:11 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts

Decided to get off the island today, headed out to Keyport, NJ, a town on the northern part of the HHRT. This is an old rail line, went from around Freehold to Highland. There's a significant break in the trail as there was never an overpass for the rail line at the Garden State Parkway, thus it's on street for a bit. I rode Matawan to Highland, 14-1/2 miles ea. way.

This is a trail I would not recommend making any kind of trip to get to - I.E. if you are in the area, enjoy, but don't waste 2 hrs. of driving. There are a huge number of road crossings (30 or so in 10 miles) and it gets annoying over time. I assume the rail line was used long before the area got built up with housing. The trail is also in mediocre condition with a lot of segments with frost heaves, so you have to pay attention. It is a nicely shaded trail, would be good on a hot summer day. There are also a lot of good views of Raritan Bay and the NYC skyline in the distance. Part of the trail is also the Highlands recreational path along the water between Atlantic Highlands and Highland (4 miles one way).

A fun exploration day though. I'll add some photo's as soon as they upload.

Last edited by Steve B.; 10-07-20 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-07-20, 03:26 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
You should have gone to Sandy Hook too. It isn't that much further from Highlands. You cross the bridge and you're there. You can then ride up to the lighthouse and the old army base. My wife and I make a day of it from the ferry up to the beach, spend 3-4 hours at the beach and then ride back and stop for dinner at either Bahr's or Moby's and then catch the ferry back. This is just a plodding along ride for me but my wife can barely get up the bridge.
Old 10-07-20, 03:37 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I've done a lot of the Henry Hudson Trail over the years and I'd agree that it's a nice ride, but not worth the long drive from eastern Nassau or Suffolk Counties. There are lots of similar trails in Westchester and Rockland that fit that same description.

I see you also noticed the trail surface deterioration. When I revisited the South County Trail last weekend after several years, I was a bit disappointed to see that the beautifully smooth blacktop I rode on when it first opened is now riddled with very bad frost and root damage. I hope we don't fall too far behind on maintenance during COVID-19, as it will only get more and more difficult to bring these trails back as time goes on.

I seem to remember riding from Highland to Sandy Hook once and discovering during the drive there that the Henry Hudson sort of connected to it. Did you have an option to cross a small bridge at Highland and head along the water?
Old 10-07-20, 04:26 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by zacster
You should have gone to Sandy Hook too. It isn't that much further from Highlands. You cross the bridge and you're there. You can then ride up to the lighthouse and the old army base. My wife and I make a day of it from the ferry up to the beach, spend 3-4 hours at the beach and then ride back and stop for dinner at either Bahr's or Moby's and then catch the ferry back. This is just a plodding along ride for me but my wife can barely get up the bridge.
The round trip from Matawan is 42 miles and I didn’t have the time. As well, the winds were W at 25 so I opted to leave it for another day. It looks like a good trip if you come over by ferry.
Old 10-07-20, 04:29 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Papa Tom

I seem to remember riding from Highland to Sandy Hook once and discovering during the drive there that the Henry Hudson sort of connected to it. Did you have an option to cross a small bridge at Highland and head along the water?
Yes you can access Sandy Hook from Highland. Another day.
Old 10-07-20, 04:33 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yes you can access Sandy Hook from Highland. Another day.
I must have missed zacster's post!
Old 10-08-20, 05:40 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
It looks like we posted at around the same time.

But this trail does provide something. When going to the beach you can park anywhere along it and bike the last miles. I've never driven to Sandy Hook as we take the ferry, but the ferry gets expensive. Driving to Sandy Hook isn't an option because of the traffic and parking situation there. This trail is far enough away that you can park and ride, unless of course there are parking restrictions along it. Usually though there is trail parking somewhere.
Likes For zacster: