Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dealing with blow outs on tour - possible repairs?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Dealing with blow outs on tour - possible repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-20, 08:06 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
hey PD, are you talking mountain biking and going through big rock gardens or stuff like that? I dunno, I guess I've lived a sheltered life but (big touch wood here again) I've never damaged a sidewall of a bicycle tire in all my years cycling, so its hard to imagine that you've experienced it 5 or 6 times--but again, mountain biking is something else where the chances of riding up against sharp stuff is way more common.
I ride almost entirely on roads, and I've had three road bike tires blow out on the sidewalls. One was a defective new tire -- the manufacturer replaced it with no questions beyond "Can you send us a picture?" One was a slight bulge on an older tire -- didn't last the night after I re-mounted it and inflated it. The last was an old front tire, about a year on the bike (6,000 miles). It was fine when I left in the morning, plenty of tread left, and blew out two miles from home after a metric ride. My takeaway from the last one was that I should have rotated tires when I replaced one of the rear tires.

The rest have been blowouts from the tread, or the edge of the tread. A couple were from a bad tire batch; the tread delaminated. One was hopeless, I had to get a ride home -- didn't count it, and didn't even try to boot that one. The other one was small enough to get home and change the tire quick before any more tread came off the threads. One was a cut just at the edge of the tread (tan sidewall). The last was one of those borderline puncture, looked like a 1/4" self-threading screw. Tyvek boot, not secured with cement, only stayed in place about 2-3 miles.
Old 10-16-20, 09:22 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I ride almost entirely on roads, and I've had three road bike tires blow out on the sidewalls. One was a defective new tire -- the manufacturer replaced it with no questions beyond "Can you send us a picture?" One was a slight bulge on an older tire -- didn't last the night after I re-mounted it and inflated it. The last was an old front tire, about a year on the bike (6,000 miles). It was fine when I left in the morning, plenty of tread left, and blew out two miles from home after a metric ride. My takeaway from the last one was that I should have rotated tires when I replaced one of the rear tires.

The rest have been blowouts from the tread, or the edge of the tread. A couple were from a bad tire batch; the tread delaminated. One was hopeless, I had to get a ride home -- didn't count it, and didn't even try to boot that one. The other one was small enough to get home and change the tire quick before any more tread came off the threads. One was a cut just at the edge of the tread (tan sidewall). The last was one of those borderline puncture, looked like a 1/4" self-threading screw. Tyvek boot, not secured with cement, only stayed in place about 2-3 miles.
you know, I equate this to how the more we do something, it's logical that there are more chances of X or Y happening. Given how much you ride, it seems that these were a combo of bad luck (batch of tires) and then just stuff that happens. None are particularly overly weird, I guess just luck of the draw compounded by the fact that you ride a lot in a year.
Look at car tires, I didnt have a car flat ever, until one year on the old car I had, I actually got new tires (had always had older cars with older tires) but a few months after I got them, got a flat on the highway and did the sidewall in....nearly all covered by the manufacturer "wear" warranty so got a new tire free, but kinda goofy that it happened with essentially new tires driven totally "grandma like" .....so there you go...
Old 10-16-20, 09:28 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks for the info and stories all.

It has come up a few times to not trust tires I've had issues with. I agree - I put a new set of tires on yesterday. I will take the old tire I haven't had an issue with yet as a spare (which ironically is the more worn tire of the two). I also have 2 tubes, a patch kit, and 2 pumps (one is a combo co2/hand pump, the other is a Topeak Turbo Morph Digital - big pump, mini floor pump with hose and foot peg). I like the idea of redundancy and a backup for the backup.

The tires I got are Kendas. They are not very expensive tires. Originally I was going to get one as a spare. The tires that were on the bike were Continentals - from when the bike was new (6 years old, 2014). The Continentals are higher quality tires than the Kendas, no question. I hope the Kendas will hold up loaded.

Inspections are important. Every time I look at the bike I'm inspecting it. Hard to explain that one, but from working with equipment all my life its just what I do. Whether its a boat, a truck, trailer, bike, what have you - I look at it and I'm inspecting it.

Case in point - when I was on my shake-down ride I noticed a strap on a rear pannier that wasn't "right". It is one of the side straps that tensions the small compartment's flap closed. The flap wasn't tight and the strap was blowing in the breeze. Mind you, I noticed it looking backwards and down while riding the bike. When I stopped it was immediately apparent there was a problem - there are 3 bolts that hold the pannier mounting strip with the hooks on it on to the pannier body. One of the 3 bolts fell out. Luckily, the bolt was still in the mount strip and the backing washer (plastic disk with a nut in it) was at the bottom of the inside of the pannier. It still took about 10-15 minutes to fix as I had to empty the pannier.

In any event, new tires are on the bike and I'll take a spare with me.
Old 10-16-20, 10:38 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Case in point - when I was on my shake-down ride I noticed a strap on a rear pannier that wasn't "right". It is one of the side straps that tensions the small compartment's flap closed. The flap wasn't tight and the strap was blowing in the breeze. Mind you, I noticed it looking backwards and down while riding the bike. When I stopped it was immediately apparent there was a problem - there are 3 bolts that hold the pannier mounting strip with the hooks on it on to the pannier body. One of the 3 bolts fell out. Luckily, the bolt was still in the mount strip and the backing washer (plastic disk with a nut in it) was at the bottom of the inside of the pannier. It still took about 10-15 minutes to fix as I had to empty the pannier.
Ortlieb, s​​​​​​elf-tapping screws with torx head? Been there too. There is an article on them on CGOAB: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...Qs#pic_2871118 -- the guy replaced them with regular bolts and nuts.
Old 10-16-20, 10:56 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
It is important to know & fix the cause of the blowout before inflating the new/repaired tire - tire bead slipping off the rim is almost always installation error. Before the tire is brought up to pressure, work your way around the rim and ensure the tube is not trapped between the tire and sidewall of the rim at any point.

A sidewall tearing away from the bead could be caused by a manufacturing defect, but can also be caused by a maladjusted brake pad (caliper brake pads migrate up the rim toward the tire as the pads wear, a dented rim can leave the tire closer to the brake pad at one point) or riding on an underinflated or flat tire.
Old 10-16-20, 11:53 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
you know, I equate this to how the more we do something, it's logical that there are more chances of X or Y happening. Given how much you ride, it seems that these were a combo of bad luck (batch of tires) and then just stuff that happens. None are particularly overly weird, I guess just luck of the draw compounded by the fact that you ride a lot in a year.
I think you're right, large number of miles and very low probability, I've still had something every 2-3 years. You can thank me for my contribution to keeping the average where it is when you haven't had those problems.

But you got me thinking. What are the odds one of those kaboom moments happened coming into the projects, and another one happened passing a shooting range??
Old 10-16-20, 12:33 PM
djb

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I think you're right, large number of miles and very low probability, I've still had something every 2-3 years. You can thank me for my contribution to keeping the average where it is when you haven't had those problems.

But you got me thinking. What are the odds one of those kaboom moments happened coming into the projects, and another one happened passing a shooting range??
first of all, thankyou. Keep it up please (touch wood touch wood touch wood)

secondly, funny. Although I get what you mean, being Canadian, or at least where I live, means totally different environment, gun stuff is super rare.

the few times Ive heard bike tires blow spectacularly, it always amazes me how loud they can be. LIke you say, gunshot loud.
Old 10-16-20, 12:36 PM
djb

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
It is important to know & fix the cause of the blowout before inflating the new/repaired tire - tire bead slipping off the rim is almost always installation error. Before the tire is brought up to pressure, work your way around the rim and ensure the tube is not trapped between the tire and sidewall of the rim at any point.

A sidewall tearing away from the bead could be caused by a manufacturing defect, but can also be caused by a maladjusted brake pad (caliper brake pads migrate up the rim toward the tire as the pads wear, a dented rim can leave the tire closer to the brake pad at one point) or riding on an underinflated or flat tire.
very good point on the brake pad thing, certainly not unheard of. I know I've caught myself luckily badly adjusting things when putting new pads on and realizing it would rub--especially with low tire pressures and the tire bulging outwards more on impacts.
Old 10-17-20, 09:12 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I carry a flat package of tire boots in my trunk pack along with other tire repair needs. They take up virtually no room. They will take care of 99% of tire blow outs.
Old 10-17-20, 11:34 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Ive been touring for about 30 years, generally have put newish tires on when I have toured, so never took a spare tire until more recently, when I did a couple of longer trips in Latin America, riding through Central America and another through about half of Mexico. On those trips, I took one spare tire, with the reasoning that if I had an issue, it probably would be hard to find a high quality tire. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.
I knew that I could find some sort of mediocre 26in tire in smalltown, Guatemala or whatever, but figured it was totally worth carrying one spare, to have another great tire if something weird happened.
In the end, didnt need it, carried the same spare for months and months and months at the bottom of my pannier. Didnt even get any flats on those trips and other trips afterwards on the same set of tires.

so thats my reasoning behind my view that two spares is overkill.
I am 77 and had been riding since the end of 1990. I retired in 1998 and had thought about a self supported tour, but I remarried and changed my plans. I have done mostly week long supported rides and a few week long rides with friends. We camped and moteled it.
In '09 I participated in a cross country ride until I fell outside of Litttlerock and bruised my ribs. This ride was the 42 Below ride sponsored and supported by 42 Below Vodka.
Old 10-17-20, 05:15 PM
djb

Originally Posted by davidad
I am 77 and had been riding since the end of 1990. I retired in 1998 and had thought about a self supported tour, but I remarried and changed my plans. I have done mostly week long supported rides and a few week long rides with friends. We camped and moteled it.
In '09 I participated in a cross country ride until I fell outside of Litttlerock and bruised my ribs. This ride was the 42 Below ride sponsored and supported by 42 Below Vodka.
neat that you got into touring in your mid 60s, very cool. You've got about 20 on me, but that is the neat thing with biking, that if you take care of your knees and stay active, its something that can be done for a long time in ones life.
The trips Ive done in N America, or France or wherever, like I said, I generally started the trip with almost new tires, so I knew I at least had the wear factor covered. Also, even when I started touring, kevlar protection or similar was starting to be in tires to help with flat protection, so that helped a lot too. My trips have mostly been always on paved roads, or good dirt roads, so I knew the risk of damaging a tire was pretty low if I always kept an eye over what I was riding and avoiding the worst stuff. I also knew that in developed countries, getting a new tire at a bike store would be straight forward, so that also was another reason I never used to take a spare.

again though, I'll touch wood on something dumb happening if Im not being attentive.
someone here on this forum has good advice, that if youre going to take a spare, take the lightest one possible, as the chances are low that youll need it, so tat least youre carrying around the smallest lightest tire in your pannier.
I still think its a good idea to carry one if in more remote areas or in undeveloped countries, Im glad I carried one on some of my trips.
Still, we always have to figure the risks involved and weigh these against carrying more stuff.

happy and safe riding