Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Lost barrel adjuster from mechanical disc brake caliper

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Lost barrel adjuster from mechanical disc brake caliper

Old 09-17-20, 05:20 AM
CiscoKydd

Bikes: 2017 Diamondback Recoil 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rebuilding my 2017 Diamondback Recoil 29

I bought a Diamondback Recoil 29 mountain bike from a neighbor recently. Everything is original on it.
The brake and gear cables have been cut off. It needs quite a bit of work to get it riding again. I am disabled with a spine injury. So I only want to ride it gently for exercise.
Anyway, I noticed the barrel adjuster screw for the front caliper is missing. I checked Amazon and eBay and I cannot find it. I also visited the Tektro website. I did not see it listed as a part. I can't find it anywhere! Does anyone know how or where I can get one of these?
Someone please help!

Last edited by CiscoKydd; 01-13-21 at 08:17 AM. Reason: I have decided to do a complete rebuild as a Winter project. More questions.
Old 09-17-20, 05:47 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Look here. You may find something compatible. I would not be surprised if another brands fit. If all else fails get another handlebar lever. Does not need to be the same brand.

https://www.loosescrews.com/
Old 09-23-20, 08:07 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Look here. You may find something compatible. I would not be surprised if another brands fit. If all else fails get another handlebar lever. Does not need to be the same brand.

https://www.loosescrews.com/
Pretty sure OP is talking about the barrel adjust ON the brake caliper...if that's the case hit your local bike shop and see if they have a random one laying around. If so, install it...BUT...do NOT use it to adjust the brake. Only adjust for pad wear by moving the pistons in. Plenty of videos on YT.
Old 10-16-20, 09:42 AM
CiscoKydd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is on the Tektro brake caliper..not on the handlebar.
Thanks. I will visit the local bike shop.
Old 01-13-21, 08:11 AM
CiscoKydd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CiscoKydd
I bought a Diamondback Recoil 29 mountain bike from a neighbor recently. Everything is original on it.
The brake and gear cables have been cut off. It needs quite a bit of work to get it riding again. I am disabled with a spine injury. So I only want to ride it gently for exercise.
Anyway, I noticed the barrel adjuster screw for the front caliper is missing. I checked Amazon and eBay and I cannot find it. I also visited the Tektro website. I did not see it listed as a part. I can't find it anywhere! Does anyone know how or where I can get one of these?
Someone please help!
Update: My LBS did not have the part so I decided to order new, red, Zoom calipers front & rear. Thank you guys for your advice.
I am a complete newbie. I repaired multiple bikes as a teenager. But they are completely different now. I am learning as I go along.
I worked at my dad's gas stations since the age of six. And fixed bikes for family, friends and neighbors. So I have quite a bit of mechanical experience.
I have completely stripped the frame. I will keep it raw aluminum. Next, I decided to go with a red and black color theme. It's all very low-budget. I bought an SA Suntour XCR RL air fork black. IXF 1 X crank black with bb and Snail 32T narrow-wide chainring red, MZYRH aluminum 3 bearing pedals red & black. I added red crank protectors.
I still have not decided on which handlebar and stem yet. I ordered a Cane Creek/ Ahead zero stack headset. Everything I have learned about mountain bike concepts and terminology I credit to Bike Forums, Youtube (especially Park Tools videos) and Google. I am thankful for Bike Forums site. And I am thankful for the knowledge of the members. Thank all of you.
​​As I progress with my Winter project I hope that you guys don't mind answering the questions I have as I go along.
Thanks again.
QUESTION: Is it possible to convert to cartridge bearings instead of caged bearings? Does it make sense to attempt this? Are there advantages or disadvantages?

Last edited by CiscoKydd; 01-13-21 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-13-21, 08:17 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Update: I decided to order new, red, Zoom calipers front & rear. Thank you guys for your advice.
I am a complete newbie. I repaired multiple bikes as a teenager. But they are completely different now. I am learning as I go along.
I worked at my dad's gas stations since the age of six. And fixed bikes for family, friends and neighbors. So I have quite a bit of mechanical experience.
I have completely stripped the frame. I will keep it raw aluminum. Next, I decided to go with a red and black color theme. It's all very low-budget. I bought a SA Suntour XCR RL air fork black. IXF 1 X crank black with Snail 32T chainring red, MZYRH aluminum 3 bearing pedals red & black.
I still have not decided on which handlebar and stem yet. I ordered a Cane Creek zero stack headset. Everything I have learned about mountain bikes concepts and terminology I credit to Bike Forums, Youtube (especially Park Tools videos) and Google. I am thankful for Bike Forums site. And I am thankful for the knowledge of the members. Thank all of you.
​​As I progress with my Winter project I hope that you guys don't mind answering the questions I have as I go along.
along.Thanks again.
Question: Is it possible to convert to cartridge bearings instead of caged bearings? Does it make sense to attempt this? Are there advantages or disadvantages?
Which bearings are you talking about?

If a part is built with caged bearings, you can’t just stick a cartridge bearing in there.

But you can just change the part, such as a headset from a caged bearing unit to one with cartridge bearings.
Old 01-13-21, 08:59 AM
CiscoKydd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry. I meant the headset bearings. I understand that cartridge bearings on the fork crown race use a split crown race. It just seems so much easier to work with. Am I wrong??
Old 01-13-21, 09:07 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
With the money and time spent on this bike, I'm starting to think you could have purchased a better bike that wouldn't need any fixing.

Last edited by prj71; 01-14-21 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-13-21, 02:43 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Sorry. I meant the headset bearings. I understand that cartridge bearings on the fork crown race use a split crown race. It just seems so much easier to work with. Am I wrong??
I gotta ask: why are you looking to use different bearings? is there anything wrong with the headset? If it is not causing problems, then just clean it, grease it, and leave it be. That is certainly the easiest thing to do.

But to answer your question:

Yes, I think cartridge bearing headsets are easier to deal with in general, but the difference is not huge. One advantage of cartridge bearings is that when they are shot, you just pull the old one out and plop in in a new one. You can leave the headset in the head-tube and the crown race (which is not technically a race) on the fork. With caged bearing headsets, if you let them go TOO far, the headtube race and the fork crown race may need to be pressed off and new ones pressed on. Split crowns are obviously much easier to install and remove, but not all headsets with cartridge bearings use them.

But again, you can't just use cartridge bearings in a headset that is designed for caged bearings, you need to use whatever bearings the headset is designed for.
Old 01-13-21, 03:27 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
QUESTION: Is it possible to convert to cartridge bearings instead of caged bearings? Does it make sense to attempt this? Are there advantages or disadvantages?
yes. remove ALL parts of the headset, including the cups that are pressed into the frame and the crown race on the fork. purchase a headset with the correct SHIS measurements (look that up) for your frame and fork. install everything new.
Old 01-17-21, 08:13 AM
CiscoKydd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
yes. remove ALL parts of the headset, including the cups that are pressed into the frame and the crown race on the fork. purchase a headset with the correct SHIS measurements (look that up) for your frame and fork. install everything new.
I just received a Cane Creek complete headset. It's a zero stack headset which is for my Recoil.
The fork steerer and the lower bearings were rusted. I thought it best to replace everything. So I ordered a complete headset.
Thanks for all comments.
Old 01-30-21, 03:40 PM
CiscoKydd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
With the money and time spent on this bike, I'm starting to think you could have purchased a better bike that wouldn't need any fixing.
I really want to respond to this.
As I said before, I am permanently disabled with a spine injury. I'm stuck at home all the time. I only go out to medical appointments. Whenever I leave home I use a walker with hand brakes and a seat. I had been paralyzed from the waist down for 5 years and living in a nursing home 5½ years. I need exercise. But it's very painful for me to stand more than a minute. Since the pandemic hit early in 2020 I could not find a reasonably priced bike of any kind.😱
I asked my neighbors let me know if they should come across any kind of bike. Well...this was the only bike offered. Brake & gear cables were cut. Front derailleur had been removed. Both tires were flat. Oh. And there was oil-based paint on the frame, crank, pedals, fork, seatpost... It was hopeless!! Part of me thought of it as a challenge. That was a very small part. The rational, sane part knew it was a waste of time.
After researching the bike online using only my phone. I discovered that I didn't even know what the heck a bottom bracket was! Or even where it was! I read about things I had never heard of again and again. I thought... I've got a lot of learning to do! By the way, I will be 60 in 8 days. I accepted the challenge then. So I had something to occupy my brain through the Winter. And I love to learn new things all the time. I survive on Disability, which isn't much at all. But I was certain that I could figure out a way to get this project completed somehow. I even had to buy tools as needed. To fast forward a bit, I think it's been a great experience! I have a few tools now. And even a reason to use them. I have learned quite a bit these past few months. Honestly, I'd rather learn as I go along, with hands on rather than to get an expensive bike - or even a frame - and then learn from a major mistake. First, I can't afford to replace it. Second, I don't need a better bike because all I'm going to do is take short rides. And I will likely take a few falls.
I was recently told by my doctor that I have a cyst or a tumor on the pituitary gland. Yes, in my brain. I haven't been able to work on my bike - or do anything else - for at least a month now. It took this long to reply because I can't remember any passwords. I lost one Gmail account and Contacts, Photos, Calendar info... Everything!! I just got back into this Bike Forums Account today. I am suffering from memory loss. And I hope to have a surgery to have the tumor removed in late February or sometime in March. For now, I can't do any bike work. But I expect to ride my bike again, still in 2021. I'll just be a bit behind schedule.
I rebuilt my first car engine at 14. That was a challenge!! But in this case I have already learned a lot. This is all the challenge I need. I still enjoy learning about the newer bikes. I think it's fascinating!
Anyway, no matter what happens it's been a fun journey. I bought this bike primarily for learning. And I sure have learned a lot so far. Basically, I paid for an education. And it was money well spent.
I hope to post pictures of my bike after I get it put back together. I only need one more tool before I start putting it together. I have all the parts I need. However, the memory loss, headaches, dizziness and other symptoms are getting in the way. So I'm taking a time-out. I will meet both challenges now. And I will show you guys my complex project. Soon.
Thanks to all of the Bike Forums members for all the conversations I read and learned so much from. By the way, I have never used Google so much before! But looking back, I think I did good.😄
​​​​