Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Continental tire sidewall issues

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-20, 12:00 PM
Mikier

Bikes: 1974 Falcon Olympic ,1982 Trek 710(both all Reynolds 531), 1974 Raleigh Sports, the'Keep Portland Weird'Montgomery Ward Open Road 10sp with basement sourced modern parts, 1989 TREK 400, 1980s Nishiki mixte, 1981 VINER Special Professional,Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Has anyone had issues with Continental tire sidewalls? I have had a pair of Conti Grand Prix 4 Season for about two years. Recently very thin threads of long strands of the sidewall just above the rims have been unraveling from the both sides of both tires. My primary concern is if this is a potential safety issue ie could the sidewall burst?
thanks
mikier
Old 10-16-20, 12:18 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Yes, i have had this problem from the very start with the GP4000's, the first pair had long black threads that got wound around front and rear axles. I didn't see them for quite a while, I would have never suspected something like that could even happen. They might have interfered with the hubs spinning to some extent.

But Conti does not seem overly-concerned. I throw out their tires quite regularly when they get either frayed sidewalls like you describe, or deep tread cuts that distort the shape of the tire. I would think that with all the tires they have sold over the years, with these serious problems (I would call them defects) that someone would have been killed by now on a high speed descent because of a blowout. I'm sure it probably has happened, but I have not heard personally of anyone.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 10-16-20, 12:20 PM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Can you post a photo of the wear/damage? How many miles have you ridden these tires? Have you kept them within the recommended inflation range of 70-100 psi? I would not ride a tire with noticeable damage or peculiar wear.
Old 10-16-20, 12:22 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
i've worn continentals down to the cords and kept riding, so no some threads on the sidewall would not bother me.
Old 10-16-20, 12:24 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Would you keep riding with a cut deep enough to see the inner tube?
Old 10-16-20, 12:30 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
I stopped using them for the same reason as well as the fact the are often extremely out of balance.

Pirellis P Zero is very similar to the GP 5000 but better quality and far easier to mount.
Old 10-16-20, 01:10 PM
Mikier

Bikes: 1974 Falcon Olympic ,1982 Trek 710(both all Reynolds 531), 1974 Raleigh Sports, the'Keep Portland Weird'Montgomery Ward Open Road 10sp with basement sourced modern parts, 1989 TREK 400, 1980s Nishiki mixte, 1981 VINER Special Professional,Rockhopper

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ
Can you post a photo of the wear/damage? How many miles have you ridden these tires? Have you kept them within the recommended inflation range of 70-100 psi? I would not ride a tire with noticeable damage or peculiar wear.
they really are as thin as thread ie too small to photograph. Tires have probably 1500 miles but tread is still great. Alway keep at 90-95 psi
Old 10-16-20, 01:12 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Mine do this. I pull those little things off and just keep riding. No issues. That's an excellent tire.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 10-16-20, 01:53 PM
Blue-Shamu
NOT a Trek Junkie

Bikes: 2015 Electra Townie, 2007 Orbea Orca(FOR SALE), 2001 Giant Rincon (SOLD), 1999 Softride Powerwing (SOLD)650

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not Conti's....but, these held up long enough to make an impromptu ride two years ago. LOL....I hadn't ridden the bike in no telling how long, prior!

Old 10-16-20, 04:13 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Mine do this. I pull those little things off and just keep riding. No issues.
Same here. I guess the tread wears out before those threads cause any other problem.
Old 10-16-20, 05:58 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikier
Has anyone had issues with Continental tire sidewalls? I have had a pair of Conti Grand Prix 4 Season for about two years. Recently very thin threads of long strands of the sidewall just above the rims have been unraveling from the both sides of both tires. My primary concern is if this is a potential safety issue ie could the sidewall burst?
thanks
mikier

just get a scissor and cut them. My gatorskin used to fray threads and I would just cut them. It’s common for them to fray. It’s like giving them a haircut

heres a thread about contis fraying:

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...s-fraying.html

Last edited by jay4usc; 10-16-20 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-16-20, 07:18 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
just get a scissor and cut them. My gatorskin used to fray threads and I would just cut them. It’s common for them to fray. It’s like giving them a haircut

heres a thread about contis fraying:

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...s-fraying.html
No where did I read that grooming may be required when using those rubbers. Should be a service offered by the lbs. "how long will it take to give msh rubbers a perm?"
Old 10-16-20, 07:43 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
No where did I read that grooming may be required when using those rubbers. Should be a service offered by the lbs. "how long will it take to give msh rubbers a perm?"
you don’t need to bring it LBS to have it cut. It takes a second to cut it.
Old 10-16-20, 11:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Occasionally I'll trim the Irish pennants from the sidewalls of my Conti SpeedRides, near the bead. It's never bad, just an occasional thread.

Never noticed any problems with my other Continental tires: Sport Contact II, Ultra Sport II, Grand Prix Classic skinwalls. The GP Classic skinwalls are translucent -- so thin you can see light through the reddish/brown sidewalls. I expected them to be a bit fragile but they've turned out to be some of the best all around tires I've ridden -- smooth, reasonably fast, comfortable, grippy, tough, good on pavement and moderate dry gravel (haven't tried 'em on really rough stuff or railroad ballast). So far, so good, no sidewall cuts or threads unraveling (raveling? is unraveling the act of self-repairing raveling?)