Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Regular electric motor kit

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 04:35 AM
nickmark

Bikes: EIOU Carbon Fiber 27.5 Adult Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me a regular electric motor kit would work on Mongoose Dolomite Men's Fat Tire Mountain Bike? Has anyone tried previously? Do you know any kit that will work on this bike? I tried my best but I can't find the proper suggestion.
Old 10-18-20, 05:34 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-20-20, 11:22 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Fat tire bikes generally have wider axles front and rear. A regular motor kit won't work. You need a fat tire motor. If this is your bike, the seller lists the rear at 190mm and the front as 130mm.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

I don't believe that 190mm. You would be wise to remove the wheel that you plan to power and measure it.It's the distance inside the frame where the wheel fits. This one was only 162 mm, and I assumed it was 175mm. As a result my motor was too big. Couldn't use it. Wasted my money. Do the measurement.

Then you look for an appropriate sized fat tire motor kit. You have the choice of front or rear motor. I would avoid front motor kits. If you have an alloy front fork, they're too weak to handle a heavy front motor and will break and toss you over the handlebars. The steel forks are barely strong enough for a front motor and will just take longer before they kill you.

A kit will be $200-400. A battery will be $400 up. You know what, by the time you add a decent battery, you could have bought an inexpensive fat tire bike. Like this one. Think about it. I converted a $99 fat bike in 2016. Cost me over $1200 to get it where I wanted it. Replaced everything but the frame and seat post.

https://www.amazon.com/ECOTRIC-Elect...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==