Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recc's for Lightweight Look pedals or similar type cleat pedals with WRENCH FLATS

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Recc's for Lightweight Look pedals or similar type cleat pedals with WRENCH FLATS

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 11:45 AM
msl109

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts

Hey folks - let me preface this by saying I posted something similar about a week back, but I think the thread got a bit derailed. Thought it might work better on this subforum.
for reference, here's the thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1215901-modern-lightweight-pedals-closed-back-topline-pedal-sockets.html
What I'm looking for is recommendations for a lightweight set of pedals that employ wrench flats for installation and removal. I have Speedplays but prefer something similar to a Look cleat engagement. Problem is the pedal socket on my cranks is closed or blind on the inner face. I do not want to modify the crank, so I need wrench flats on the pedal axle. And most newer higher end pedals don't have them. Suggestions? Something current or I'm willing to go hunting online for something older. Thanks very much for any help.
Old 10-26-20, 12:00 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,030 Times in 4,470 Posts
I use pedal extenders (Knee Savers) so I need wrench flats, too. I've been using Look Delta pedals for years on the road and Shimano SPD pedals (the mid range ones) on the mtb.
I'm about to wear out my newest set of Delta pedals so I am wondering what else is out there with wrench flats.
Old 10-26-20, 12:12 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by big john
I use pedal extenders (Knee Savers) so I need wrench flats, too. I've been using Look Delta pedals for years on the road and Shimano SPD pedals (the mid range ones) on the mtb.
I'm about to wear out my newest set of Delta pedals so I am wondering what else is out there with wrench flats.
Doesn't seem like a lot of options - what brands/ model Delta pedals are you using (replacing)?
Old 10-26-20, 12:34 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,030 Times in 4,470 Posts
Originally Posted by msl109
Doesn't seem like a lot of options - what brands/ model Delta pedals are you using (replacing)?
A friend gave me a pair of Laurent Jalabert signature Delta pedals new in the box. I don't know what year they stopped making them but the latch part at the back of the pedal wears out from all the clipping/unclipping. I started using Looks in about 1990.
I went to their web page and the only thing with wrench flats is their power meter pedal.
Shimano has Tiagra and these. https://www.rei.com/product/871889/s...sl-road-pedals
Likes For big john:
Old 11-02-20, 12:59 PM
msl109

Originally Posted by big john
A friend gave me a pair of Laurent Jalabert signature Delta pedals new in the box. I don't know what year they stopped making them but the latch part at the back of the pedal wears out from all the clipping/unclipping. I started using Looks in about 1990.
I went to their web page and the only thing with wrench flats is their power meter pedal.
Shimano has Tiagra and these. https://www.rei.com/product/871889/s...sl-road-pedals
Just discovered that Ultegra 6700s have flats. Probably possible to dig up some NOS or excellent condition ones.

https://www.rei.com/product/826159/s...-spd-sl-pedals
Likes For msl109: