Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Smart trainer without subscription?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 10-28-20, 11:06 AM
cmplaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking into wahoo kickr or tacx neo2. I don't mind paying upfront for the hardware but I don't like the idea of monthly subscriptions. Does anyone use either of these without a subscription and is happy with it?
Old 10-28-20, 01:26 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
not to toot my own horn but see this post...

https://www.bikeforums.net/indoor-st...plication.html

this is something i began working on shortly after i got my kicker. requires a PC.
Likes For spelger:
Old 10-28-20, 02:09 PM
newduguy

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Look at Golden Cheetah. Does exactly what you want for free and it's well-developed.You can recreate workouts (TARWAPM, 80/20 tri, TR, Computrainer PIG, Sufferfest, Zwift, etc) in the workout builder and ride virtual courses. You'll need a PC and a cheap $15USB Ant+ USB stick. I prefer to use a laptop over a phone to control my trainer, but that's just me.

PerfPro is another good solution and has access to public training plans and a workout library for $99(one-time). Also needs a PC and USB Ant+
Old 10-28-20, 06:59 PM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
I used the Tacx desktop app (Windows) during the nice months this year when I wasn't riding inside much to do basic workouts in ERG mode, and it works fine for the most part. It lacks some of the features (for ERG mode) of the paid apps like being able to adjust the power levels up / down depending on how you're feeling, or to skip an interval if you can't complete it. It's also pretty annoying to get ERG re-started after stopping since it doesn't add resistance and you have to spin like crazy to get the power up to the target before it re-engages.

I might also look into Golden Cheetah for next year when it's time to pause Zwift again. It seemed pretty hard to use the first time I tried it.

RGT Cycling is another free app that offers free ride mode, but no workouts in the free mode. I suspect like most free apps they will probably have to drop that eventually to be profitable.
Old 10-29-20, 07:55 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by cmplaya
I'm looking into wahoo kickr or tacx neo2. I don't mind paying upfront for the hardware but I don't like the idea of monthly subscriptions. Does anyone use either of these without a subscription and is happy with it?
I just got a Kickr after years of resisting the smart trainer bug...honestly, the extra bit per month makes indoor training far more interesting/fun versus what is for intents and purposes a 'dumb trainer'. These devices have matured to the point of mostly just working finally.

Honestly....you can pick up a very good old 'dumb trainer' now for a song; and the only difference for your proposed use case is having a built-in power/cadence readout. Honestly, my Fuild2TT I never worked as hard as the Kickr gets me to; and for my pedestrian amateur wattage range it could do the job in terms of resistance fine.
Old 10-29-20, 05:57 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I just use a bike with a power meter on rollers with golden cheetah. It's fine for me. Honestly just the rollers were fine for years before I got the power meter. My main goal over the winter is to not get too fat and maintain some fitness so it's a little easier to ramp things up in the spring. Maybe some of the subscription services are a little less boring but they wouldn't help me achieve my indoor fitness goals any better.
Likes For kingston:
Old 10-29-20, 06:12 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Do you have a Garmin head unit like a 1030 or 830? You can use it to do your IRL routes on a Neo.
Old 11-03-20, 06:22 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I just got a Kickr after years of resisting the smart trainer bug...honestly, the extra bit per month makes indoor training far more interesting/fun versus what is for intents and purposes a 'dumb trainer'. These devices have matured to the point of mostly just working finally.

Honestly....you can pick up a very good old 'dumb trainer' now for a song; and the only difference for your proposed use case is having a built-in power/cadence readout. Honestly, my Fuild2TT I never worked as hard as the Kickr gets me to; and for my pedestrian amateur wattage range it could do the job in terms of resistance fine.

+1
The appeal of the Smart Trainer is having somethin'' to "do" while riding.

Personally I like FulGaz... Full motion 4K video filmed from actual bike rides and beautiful places.
I get so immersed riding and watching on the big screen TV, I tend to lean around corners. 8-)

Barry
Old 11-11-20, 04:46 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
https://trainerday.com/ has a catalogue of workouts and you can download them to a wahoo bolt and use that to control the kickr. I did it a few times in the summer when I didn't want to ride in the rain or wanted to do an actual recovery ride without distractions. Dunno if other head units can control other trainers, but that trainer day has an app now too if you don't have a head unit.
Old 11-13-20, 05:22 PM
kcjc

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Try RGT Cycling. You can join posted group rides and workout using the free version but just not create them. There are also free courses (think they change monthly). For ten bucks US you can create your own routes (100km limit, 3 hour ride time limit), upload your own workouts, and schedule group rides/workouts. The application physics, ride feel, is a lot more realistic than Zwift and no stupid dinosaurs to remind you that you're in a game.
Old 12-07-20, 10:34 AM
mcr23

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently use Onelap (free), Perfpro (one time payment), occasionally i sign up for Zwift too. Most of the paid subscriptions services have a free trial of at least a week, so you could do around 2 months of free workouts over the winter if you try them all out - Trainerroad, Rouvy, Zwift, Sufferfest, Tacx training, Bkool, etc.
Old 12-07-20, 04:02 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by kcjc
Try RGT Cycling. You can join posted group rides and workout using the free version but just not create them. There are also free courses (think they change monthly). For ten bucks US you can create your own routes (100km limit, 3 hour ride time limit), upload your own workouts, and schedule group rides/workouts. The application physics, ride feel, is a lot more realistic than Zwift and no stupid dinosaurs to remind you that you're in a game.
i actually thought the dinosaurs were neat. i still think they should try to grab you and eat you. if caught by one the ride resistance should increase causing you to increase power in order to get freed. just a weird change of things in that one area.
Old 12-07-20, 04:14 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I like the dinosaurs too.