Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Maruishi

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 09:41 PM
Dimas Pineda

Bikes: Peugeot Uo8 Restored, Miyata 110 (fixed gear conversion), Grand Master Special, Giant Revel Disc 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Maruishi

Hello people, what is your opinion on Maruishi bikes? Are they a good bike to make an investment on nowadays?
Old 10-29-20, 10:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...they made a wide range of bicycles. The best were pretty good ones, but I'm not one of those here who considers bicycles, (no matter how good,) an investment. Here are two threads you can read:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...adace-rx5.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...d-why-not.html

I tend to think of investments as things on which I hope to maintain value or make money. I never make money on bicycles.
Old 10-30-20, 08:13 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Maruishi was a mass volume company, manufacturing a full range of bicycles. They were well respected in the 1980s. Having said that, I have to agree with 3alarmer that, with few exceptions, bicycles are not a good investment, particularly in the current market. The pandemic has driven bicycle prices up in most regions and prices will almost certainly drop after the pandemic is over.

The Maruishi in your gallery album appears to be an early 1980s Road Ace 707. It was the top model offered by Maruishi in the American market at that time. It was curiously spec'd and I'd place it around the crossover between mid-range and high end. The tubeset is highly regarded Ishiwata 022 and the frame is well built, though to mass volume workmanship standards. The derailleurs are top of the line Shimano Dura-Ace EX but the rest of the components were typically lower grades. For instance, the brake calipers are the OEM Dia-Compe (N)GC500 upgraded with aero levers. I can't identify the crankset from the non-drive side photos but it was typically a mid-range Sugino model while the hubs, also unidentifiable, were typically Shimano 600EX. The bicycle also has a more modern, replacement saddle.

Given your location in a non-American market, I'm reluctant to provide a value, as conditions can vary significantly from country to country.

Old 10-30-20, 06:06 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Bikes as an investment? Ha ha ha harghhhh ack ack !!!!!!!!!!!! You're Killin me Here!