Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

MHL’s

Old 08-25-20, 12:59 PM
closetbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
MHL’s

I left this discussion 10 years ago so was a little curious as to what has happened since.

24 years ago my province instituted an all ages mandatory bicycle helmet law. It followed Australia and New Zealand laws and shortly after our law passed, Canada’s 3 Martime provinces followed suit. I know the US has a different way of enacting laws than Canada but I believe there were a number of states that added mhl’s as well.

It seems to me that the push for mhl’s has decreased. They haven’t increased in Canada and only 19 of the 50 states have them.

I was also surprised to find that the enforcement of our law has significantly declined. Vancouver Police used to issue about 1800 tickets a year for no helmet, nowadays, they average only 18 per year. Our shared bike system has stopped providing helmets whereas previously, they had been supplied with each bike.

Am I right in thinking that the bloom is off the rose for mhl’s? That most people think they aren’t a good idea?

Last edited by closetbiker; 08-26-20 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 01:02 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
In practice, MHL's are grossly unevenly enforced. (That's putting it in a way that won't punt this to P&R.)

Discuss bicycle helmets with your doctor, not your police officer.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 08-25-20, 01:11 PM
closetbiker

Originally Posted by mr_bill
... discuss bicycle helmets with your doctor, not your police officer.

-mr. bill
I agree. Unfortunately, we had a crusader back in the day and after 10 years of her hard work, eliminated that option for everyone else.

Last edited by closetbiker; 08-25-20 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 02:46 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
The current resistance to anti-Covid measures should give a clue about enforcement of M-Anything-Ls.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 08-25-20, 03:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I wouldn't equate the drop with more people thinking it's not a good idea. Probably more that when first implemented, there was a request to the authorities to act on it.

However, like many laws, there really isn't much tooth to it and law enforcement officers just hate getting chewed up and down for writing a helmet ticket that probably the violator will get out of without penalty.

I see quite a few with helmets hanging on their handle bars. I guess they are going to put them on just before they have an accident. <grin>
Old 08-25-20, 03:59 PM
closetbiker

From what I’ve seen after my absence is that there hasn’t been an increase in the laws. There hasn’t been a mhl passed in Canada in over 20 years and it seems there hasn’t been many passed elsewhere either.

Maybe they were “the flavour of the day” back then. It seems, separated bike lanes and encouraging more to ride have taken over as a more effective way to cycling safety
Old 08-25-20, 09:03 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Good riddance to MHLs. I never will wear a stupid helmet. I do always wear a baseball cap and glasses.
In 2018 I rode 3,900 miles thru AB, BC, WA, OR and ID. I rode the last 90 miles to Vancouver on the Trans Can highway all the way to the Port Mann bridge, on a Saturday.
WA is making a concerted effort to rid bikes off of any divided highway, Jerks.
If it makes you happy, they are still gung ho in OZ and NZ I hear.
From what I have seen, over 80% wear the useless things all over, anyway.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-26-20 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-26-20, 02:42 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Should make helmets mandatory for automobile drivers too since far more of them per miles driven sustain traumatic brain injuries than do bicyclists. I think that helmet use should be left up to the individual.

Cheers
Old 08-26-20, 08:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
It's pretty certain that I'd be dead if I didn't have a helmet on last year. First cycling accident that ever caused more than a scrape in way over 50 years of cycling. I used to think I was invincible. Now I'm just almost invincible.
Old 08-26-20, 08:19 AM
closetbiker

Originally Posted by Iride01
It's pretty certain that I'd be dead if I didn't have a helmet on last year. First cycling accident that ever caused more than a scrape in way over 50 years of cycling. I used to think I was invincible. Now I'm just almost invincible.
its probably not a small factor in enforcements experience that despite the purpose of our legislation being explicitly stated that it was to reduce cycling deaths, and despite the fact that helmet usage dramatically increased, the death rate did not decrease.

Last edited by closetbiker; 08-26-20 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-26-20, 08:49 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
They stopped enforcing it here, for the "homeless" first, then the ride share put a fork in the mandate for good.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 08-26-20, 09:38 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 514 Posts
I don't know, I can't imagine myself willingly returning to a discussion I left 10 years ago, to try and stir up passion again, in a new cohort, unless I was really bored out of my mind. Probably not even then.
Old 08-26-20, 10:06 AM
closetbiker

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I don't know, I can't imagine myself willingly returning to a discussion I left 10 years ago, to try and stir up passion again, in a new cohort, unless I was really bored out of my mind. Probably not even then.
lol. Just looking back with a bit of perspective, seeing if much has changed. Seems it has. It’s not the issue it once was. Progress, I suppose.

Last edited by closetbiker; 08-26-20 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-26-20, 10:32 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
No MHL’s in AZ. Some local ordinances for kids under 18 is about it.

i don’t think it should be mandated - I don’t wear one when riding out to the mailbox or over to the grocery store but, one of those little styrofoam lids saved my life so, I’ll keep wearing one while training either way.
Old 08-27-20, 08:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
At this point, I don't think it's an open controversy whether helmet wearing provides an increased margin for safety, it clearly does. What's lacking is any evidence whatsoever that mandatory helmet laws increase helmet wearing.
Old 08-27-20, 08:42 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
At this point, I don't think it's an open controversy whether helmet wearing provides an increased margin for safety, it clearly does.
I'd like to say "you'd be surprised", but probably not.

I like to tell people I'd wear my full motorcycle leathers if I could do it and not have heat stroke.....
Old 08-27-20, 09:00 AM
closetbiker

At this point, I don't think it's an open controversy whether helmet wearing provides an increased margin for safety, it clearly does. What's lacking is any evidence whatsoever that mandatory helmet laws increase helmet wearing.
It’s been some time since I checked other jurisdictions but I do know in mine it’s been quite the opposite, helmet use had been confirmed to increase dramatically yet injury reduction wasn’t confirmed.

Most assuredly, the platform on which our law was passed (to reduce serious injury and death) didn’t happen.

Ive often thought one of the primary reasons why mhl’s stalled was because of this result
Old 08-27-20, 09:04 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
It seems to me that the push for mhl’s has decreased. They haven’t increased in Canada and only 19 of the 50 states have them.
For kids up to a given age. Those states do not have mandatory helmet laws for everybody.

I don't think there's ever been a time where most people in the US thought that MHL for adults were a good idea. From a mathematical standpoint, the reasoning that it would save a lot of lives is incoherent and most people realize that.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 08-27-20, 09:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by closetbiker
It’s been some time since I checked other jurisdictions but I do know in mine it’s been quite the opposite, helmet use had been confirmed to increase dramatically yet injury reduction wasn’t confirmed.

Most assuredly, the platform on which our law was passed (to reduce serious injury and death) didn’t happen.

Ive often thought one of the primary reasons why mhl’s stalled was because of this result

To be clear, the only effect of helmet usage is to reduce the risk of death and/or limit the damage from head injuries and no other cause. Even a drastic increase in the use of helmets is not likely to result in massive changes to death and injury rates as head injuries are only one category of potentially fatal injuries out of many.
Old 08-27-20, 10:11 AM
closetbiker

... Even a drastic increase in the use of helmets is not likely to result in massive changes to death and injury rates as head injuries are only one category of potentially fatal injuries out of many.
yes, and an oft quoted and misunderstood stat used here to convince people to use helmets is that over 3/4 of cyclist deaths are due to head injuries and helmets prevent these. Of course even when there are other injuries that cause death in addition to a head injury that causes death, it will be the head injury that is cited as cause of death. Deaths by head injury alone is a far more accurate indication. This is a far smaller number (most often less than 19% of all deaths, a far cry from 75%). Couple that with lack of coverage and limits of effectiveness and it’s no wonder even with huge increases of usage, death rates do not decrease after mhl’s pass
Old 08-27-20, 10:21 AM
mr_bill

And this thread is destined for the everlasting gobstopper thread in 3, 2....

-mr. bill
Old 08-27-20, 10:41 AM
closetbiker

-mr. bill
lol. Seems that way. I guess my question is answered. The push for mhl’s does indeed seem to have stalled. It’s not the thing anymore, separated bike lanes seem to be that these days
Old 08-27-20, 11:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

-mr. bill
Hey, since we've got you on the line, do you get the sense that thee NTSB recommendation of MHL had any impact whatsoever?
Old 08-27-20, 11:37 AM
mr_bill

Hey, since we've got you on the line, do you get the sense that thee NTSB recommendation of MHL had any impact whatsoever?
NTSB recommendation was met with outrage then crickets.

Otherwise, let's see.

Cuomo suggested mandatory helmets for some e-bike users at the end of January. But he opposed increasing increasing the age covered by New York State helmet laws from 14 to 18. Then something happened March 7.

Here in Massachusetts, legislation covering e-bike users (current law on e-bikes in Massachusetts is completely broken) passed the Senate. And legistlation for reduction of traffic fatalities passed the Senate again, and is now dieing in the House Ways and Means Committee. Again. This time the obstacle isn't Jeffrey Sánchez, former chair of the committee, but something else that happened on March 10.

But bicycle services were added to a list of essential services.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-27-20 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-27-20, 12:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

NTSB recommendation was met with outrage then crickets.

Otherwise, let's see.

Cuomo suggested mandatory helmets for some e-bike users at the end of January. But he opposed increasing increasing the age covered by New York State helmet laws from 14 to 18. Then something happened March 7.

Here in Massachusetts, legislation covering e-bike users (current law on e-bikes in Massachusetts is completely broken) passed the Senate. And legistlation for reduction of traffic fatalities passed the Senate again, and is now dieing in the House Ways and Means Committee. Again. This time the obstacle isn't Jeffrey Sánchez, former chair of the committee, but something else that happened on March 10.

But bicycle services were added to a list of essential services.

-mr. bill

I think it was probably destined for die with a whimper status regardless of something happening on March 10. The whole idea of getting NTSB involved seemed a bit off to me a) because it was off their usual beat, and b) because there was no carrot or stick they could use to get states to go along.

I didn't agree with the recommendation, I just ended up arguing in the thread about it because I was so sick of people going on about some sort of evil, financial motivation of the NTSB on the issue. For some reason, that same assertion of corrupt bias didn't seem to apply to the other bike safety recommendations they made.

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-27-20 at 12:10 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.